• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

END your FPS problems for good: 2 simple steps

Gabriel6

Mar 15, 2006
This is relatively simple and is a condensed version of what I wrote earlier.

1. Change the primary driver from direct 3d 9.0 to Direct 3d. If this doesn't solve your problems then combine it with this:

Go into your RO Configuration ini file (located in your steam apps/red orchestra folder and find the line that says:

Gamecache=32. CHANGE this to a higher number but only if you have at least 1 gig of ram. For example, I have 2gigs of ram and set it to 512. If you have less then set the number higher in small increments say 64 or 128 or 256. No need to turn off all the precaching just bump this number up and combined with the d3d change you can experience the beauty--STUTTER FREE--of Ostfront.

Gabriel6 said:

1. Change the primary driver from direct 3d 9.0 to Direct 3d. If this doesn't solve your problems then combine it with this:

Go into your RO Configuration ini file (located in your steam apps/red orchestra folder and find the line that says:

Gamecache=32. CHANGE this to a higher number but only if you have at least 1 gig of ram. For example, I have 2gigs of ram and set it to 512. If you have less then set the number higher in small increments say 64 or 128 or 256. No need to turn off all the precaching just bump this number up and combined with the d3d change you can experience the beauty--STUTTER FREE--of Ostfront.

i did do that, the game would send me all sorts of errors and crashes

Upvote 0
I have an x850pro with 256 megs of ram; changing to d3d from d3d 9.0 and increasing the gamecache to use my memory made the game into a masterpiece from what was almost an unistalled pile of frustration. My fps kept going from high down to 1 to high down to 1 this happeened when I looked certain directions in any map and seems to be texture detail related. Now, if you have a bunch of apps running in the background and you don't have RAM TO SPARE then adjust gamecache size in small increments and test it out. I came to my fix through over 4 hours of trial and error.

Upvote 0
Sweet baby jesus, thats beautiful. I cant wait to try it at home. I gar-un-tee thats likely the problem.

I have a GeForce 6800GT (AGP) with 256, and I was thinking to myself "Bloody hell, this shouldnt be happening).

Normal system utilization (unless you have a crapload of tray-apps) is around 2-256mb. If you've got a gig of ram, try out 512. As long as your not running a lot of background apps, you should be good. I'm going to try this myself when I get home. Cant wait! Will make the game so much more enjoyable to not get the stutter.

Upvote 0
Gabriel6 said:

Gamecache=32.

CHANGE this to a higher number but only if you have at least 1 gig of ram.
For example, I have 2gigs of ram and set it to 512. If you have less then set the number higher in small increments say 64 or 128 or 256.

No need to turn off all the precaching just bump this number up and combined with the d3d change you can experience the beauty--STUTTER FREE--of Ostfront.

Gabriel6 said:
I have an x850pro with 256 megs of ram;

changing to d3d from d3d 9.0 and increasing the gamecache to use my memory made the game into a masterpiece from what was almost an unistalled pile of frustration.

My fps kept going from high down to 1 to high down to 1 this happeened when I looked certain directions in any map and seems to be texture detail related.

Now, if you have a bunch of apps running in the background and you don't have RAM TO SPARE then adjust gamecache size in small increments and test it out.

I came to my fix through over 4 hours of trial and error.

Great of you to come on the board and share it buddy! :D

Upvote 0
TweakGuides.com said:
CacheSizeMegs=32

This value represents the amount of System RAM set aside for caching game information. I recommend a Cache size of 64 for most systems with 512MB of RAM or more. Given UT2004's need for RAM, I don't suggest increasing this value higher than 64. This tweak will not impact on FPS as such, it is designed to reduce loading pauses in-game, and should be used in conjunction with the other tips to do so throughout this guide.

from http://www.tweakguides.com/UT2004_1.html

Upvote 0
Hmmmm. Not sure what the problem on some of your machines and of what people have posted here it seems that some folks have way better machines than I yet they have crap preformance where as I have outstanding proformance.

P4 2.8ghz HT.
Gigabyte Motherboard 8-inxp ( intel 950P chipset)
1548 megs of DDR2 ram
Nvidia 6200 ti (overcloaked from factory) 256 meg
Soundblaster live sound card.
160 Western Digital HD 7200 rpm
Ntwork card in on MB (intel 100/1000)
Calble modem Internet.
( running in DirectX 9.0C)

With this machine, even of full 32 man maps say like in Konigsplatz my frametrate is aroun 55 to 70 tops so I don't have an issue. All settings are on high or highest with shadows even full. The only thing I don't have on is the DR Bloom effects cause it looks so blurry on 1024x768. Well I hope this helps a bit.

SunWheel
300,000 Ruskies dead and counting !!

Upvote 0
The FPS issues must be RAM related. My system:

Athlon64 3500
Gigabyte GA-K8NS nforce3 Ultra mobo (AGP)
BFG 6800 (AGP)
2 gigs of PC3200 RAM

And it runs perfectly fine at highest settings (including HDR bloom on) at 1920x1200 (no AA, not sure of my AF atm) with the latest forceware drivers. Other than the RAM i wouldn't consider my machine to be much of a beast.

Upvote 0