• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Terrible Frame Rate - can I expect a fix?

Ahmad ibn-Fadlan

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 14, 2006
I have amd xp 2400+ 2.0ghz 266fsb, 1gig ddr400, 9800pro 128mb 6.3cat drivers.

No matter what I do my frame rate really sucks with a full server,,, with just a couple of people its ok half the time.

Seems to suck just as bad (or a little bit less) if I have all the quality setting set to low. But its about the same on meduim or high. I have tried all the little tricks people have been posting nothing much helps.

Do I have to upgrade or is there a software fix that can , or that will be made.

ITS A REALLY GOOD GAME, I just wish it was playable. Everytime I get in a fire fight frame rate dropped to 1-5fps and/or stutters. Its just not playable.

Since this is an unreal engine 2.5 game, you have to remember that it is very CPU dependent. While your video card is perfectly fine for the game, it is your 2400 that is holding you back. I know this from first hand experience running a XP 2200, 9800 Pro, 1GB PC2700 rig on ostfront. Best fps acheivable was something like 60, but it dipped way down like yours when there was a lot of action aka when the CPU got busy.

I would suggest lowering your physics and world detail settings to low and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
I get the same problem m8 my fps is all over. Yes its playable but when it goes below 20's its noticable and uncomfortable to play. Bit of a pain when i have a decent rig.
Pentium4 Ht 3.06ghz
ATI X800XT platinum
1Gb Ram DDR 400MHZ
Catalyst 6.3

and my settings arnt high ther medium:mad:

puts me off playing when i get frame rates like this for the quality in the pic and the pic on the right yes the better looking 1 gives me nearly 3 times as mutch fps than this.

Upvote 0
I would double check your FPS Phoenix. Get into a 32 player server or just load up 31 bots in practice mode and check your FPS. ('stat fps' in the console). With that much action you will not have a steady 20fps if your system is worse than his.

ToonarmY its the nature of the engine. It will not run the same as a game on a different engine. With your system specs it is perfectly normal to dip down into the 20s in certain situations.

Upvote 0
What's up with it being 'uncomfortable' to play? Does your inner thigh get itchy or maybe your arms start twitching? Hehe.

Anyway, same problems here. Seems like a lot of people are experiencing FPS issues. I have my rig on medium settings and I get anywhere from 10-50fps. It's all over the map. (no pun intended)

p4 2.4ghz, 1gig ram, 6600GT 256mb agp 8x

Upvote 0
ToonarmY said:
i have unreal 2004 that doesnt ever come close to 20fps on my system. I have tried all the tips HDR off Mouse lagg off precache false and the other alteration to 512. My fps is crazy cant play the game too long on 20 or so fps without feeling ill or gettinga bad head

OMG. Now you're getting 'bad head'?!?! I would definitely step away from the game if it's giving you bad head.

Upvote 0
I wont try to discredit honest concerns by saying 10fps should be livable. So I wont. :)

There could be map optimization issues here when it comes to people only getting low fps in some parts of a map. It will be looked into and we do take all reports of this nature seriously. Especially when they are presented in a constructive manner like toonarmy did.

Anyway, stay tuned.

Upvote 0
I'm playin on an AMD 2000+ at 1.6ghz :( with a 9800 pro and a g of ram. The odd thing is, the game seems to run the same no matter what my settings are. Full settings and a relly high resolution give me 15-20 fps on a full tank map server and 800X600, everything low gives me the exact same performance which is weird.

Upvote 0
SingeDebile said:
your system is fine (ie: better then mine)

ive got the same xp2400 but with only 512mb ram and a 9700pro

im getting about (once the game smooths out) 20-40 fps its very playable

ive got the latest drivers.. and i have the graphics mostly turned up but not HDR

And that is the difference a few MHz of cpu power makes. I've got more RAM and a better card and get 15-20 all the time.

Upvote 0
well Im amd barton 2500 1 gig ram & a 6800 gt some maps run 50 & drop to about 30 ish & some run at 35ish & drop into the teens , one weird thing its prob just me but it seems like the more I run it , the higher the fps gets , it seems to run better after I run it for a while ,...anyway after being dissapointed at my machine , I stopped obcessing about fps & turned off the fps command & just ...played ...it's much more playable when you dont realize ur fps should be higher lol.....

Upvote 0