• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

1st impression: Bad, 2nd impression: Good!

.:iGi:.U.G.H.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
The first couple of maps I played when I first got this game were probably the worst (some ones in fields with tanks) which left me with a really bad first impression of the game. Especially one of the tank only maps which is just the worst looking map i've seen in a long time. All flat textures with no foliage or anything)

However, most the other maps look and play great and now I love this game!!!

Some screenies I took...
RO01.jpg

RO02.jpg

RO03.jpg

RO04.jpg

RO05.jpg

RO06.jpg

RO07.jpg

RO08.jpg

RO09.jpg

RO10.jpg

For BF2, it was like this:

Impressions:

1st: Wow!
2nd: Good!
3rd: Hmm, repetetive!
4th: I need a patch!
5th: Exploits
6th: Exploits2k
7th: Patch, yay
8th: New bugs, more than before.
9th: Nerfed
10th: Players are ignored by the Devs
11th: Devs must listen to some fans opinions to not lose their loyal paying customers, so they release a patch (with new bugs).

Upvote 0
robs91 said:
wow those screens are impressive, u must have a pretty good comp. the texture details on the terrain rock! Especially the last two images. What map is the second last one? Cos from all the vids and screenies, i think it is going to be my favourite when i buy it retail.

I'm not sure what map it is. :eek: Only been playing for 2 days so the map names haven't sunk in yet. It is a cool map though. Quite open (has tanks as well) but has loads of cover so it great.

My system is OK but not amazing. It's on an x850XT PE, everything maxed, 4xAA & 4xAF. Runs smooth as.... :)

Upvote 0
same exprience here kinda funny with cod2 and bf2 you go when you first play you go wow put as you play more they get old quickly, but with ro its the opposite the more you play the better it gets. I have to say even though i havent played any clan games it looks and feels to me like the ultimate clan game, now if only i could convince my clan to give it try and give cod2 a break cos i dont really want to go back playing cod2.

Upvote 0
That's what I always say to new players... keep playing, you'll end loving RO. I also love the differences between the maps. Some are better, some are worse, but it's a good variability. Infantry only maps would make the game boring. I think sometimes it's good to play maps that you don't like just in order to add variability to the gameplay. Try, you'll see I'm right.

Upvote 0
About the bareness of the tank maps: That's one of the engine limitations we had to work with, though UE2.5 is pretty good with medium sized terrain maps, the really large ones are very demanding and we can't make them as detailed as the combined arms or infantry maps. The pro about the large tank maps is that you can have awesome tank engagements at 900 meters, the downside is that we can't make them look as good as we want.

Upvote 0