• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PPSH recoil too high?

It's a small caliber submachinegun with low muzzle velocity and the weight and size of a modern assault rifle. It should not have that much recoil. It completely defeats the very basic purpose of a submachinegun. That's why it has short rounds instead of full lenght ones used in rifles; for smaller recoil.

Upvote 0
DirtyRat said:
I never used this gun much in the beta, but i used it last night, and i was surprised at the amount of recoil. I know its a powerful gun with a high rate of fire, but irl its recoil is minimal...

Look at this video for an example of what i mean:

Just so you know, the PPSH in that video was retrofitted with .22 LR, not the 7.62 it was originally fitted for.

Here are the real stats for that weapon:

Cartridge: 7.62x25 (interchangeable with 7.63 Mauser; aka- .30 Mauser)
Type of Operation: Blowback
Cyclic rate: 900 rpm
Muzzle velocity: c.1600fps (488mps)
Type of Fire: Selective: full-automatic and semi-automatic
Length: 33.10 in. (828mm)
Barrel: 4 grooves, right-hand twist
Barrel Length: 10.60 in (265mm)
Weight unloaded: 8 lbs. (3.64 kg), with drum 12 lbs. (5.40 kg)
Type of Feed Mechanism: Single position feed, stamped sheet-metal, curved box magazine.
Also, a drum magazine similar to the PPD type, but possessing two feed lips.
Magazine capacity: 35 round detachable box or 71 round drum
Weight of Loaded Magazines: 1.5 lbs, box type (.680 kg), 4 lbs. drum type (1.840 kg)
Sights: Tangent with open "U" notch, adjustable from 50 to 500 meters. On the later models,
there is an open "U" notch "L" flip rear sight set for 100 and 200 meters.

At 900 rounds per minute, there will be tremendous recoil. That is why they called it a "burp" gun. Short bursts.

Upvote 0
ClickBouyow said:
Just so you know, the PPSH in that video was retrofitted with .22 LR, not the 7.62 it was originally fitted for.

At 900 rounds per minute, there will be tremendous recoil. That is why they called it a "burp" gun. Short bursts.

I personally own an SKS with a 30 round banana clip. It fires 7.62x39 FMJ rounds, and I can tell you from personal experience, the recoil isnt that damned bad to where you couldnt hip fire it and keep it semi accurate. Not due to the caliber of the round anyhow.

Upvote 0
ClickBouyow said:

Yes, it's 900 rounds per minute, but it's 900 rpm of the puny 7.62x25 tokarev, out of a gun that weighs nearly 12 pounds with a full drum! This isn't 7.62x54R, and it's not the 7.62x39 from an SKS or AK, it's a rather diminutive pistol cartridge with very little recoil. I'm tired of the idea that all full-auto weapons should have tremendous recoil to be realistic. One of the biggest advantages of the SMG (especially the full size ones used in WW2) is that is has so little recoil, and is very controllable in full auto. The disadvantages of course come from the lack of power, penetration, and the poor long range performance of their pistol cartridges.

Upvote 0