• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Competition Focus

Shortazz

Mar 1, 2006
Thanks TW for making such a great game.

Although for us BF players, we have our likes and dislikes, but we will get used to it. The game is new, and those who are complaining, should look back and see that COD/BF/ Etc... has gone through many patches to be where it is. I'm sure we will see many patches here as well.

Now on to my competitive comments.

Devs, will there be a competition pack/patch/etc... in which we can use for ladders/leagues. I love how the game is played, pub wise... but in competition we look for a few things.

1. Recapturable bases- I feel that if you have competition how it is played now, then things will die quickly. Forcing you to capture one base before moving on to another doesn't give us many options. We like to split up and attack certain bases with certain vehicles/personel. As well as which bases to defend with what, and which ones are more important to hold.

2.Weapons- It restricts us on the amount of weapons we may use. Some situations such as matches, clans might have a need for 2 or more snipers in certain areas, as well as the other classes. Just a thought.

3. Point System- A point system would be nice for teams to know who holds the majority of the bases longer...etc.. Maybe give each team a certain number, and each kill lowers the enemies rate. (Maybe a Kill to Death Ratio would be nice top, so that us who care about our KDR's can brag or cry :p)

This is not directed to all, as i love the game as a pub. I just want this game to last in the Competitive level as well, and since the Dev's say they are all about the community, i hope that i can at least attempt to start speaking for the Competitive Community of RO:O

Thanks for your time.

Shortazz, i strongly disagree with you on the first two points. Those gameplay features are just what makes RO clanwars so darn intense.

However, I would like you to take a look at my thread about issues, especially on scoring i think that RO is lacking compared to BF1942 who got the score model perfect for clanwars.

Thread: What is needed to make RO better suited for Clanwars out of the box?
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239

Upvote 0
I understand that RO Competition works, but this is not even close to the scale of competition in other games.

I for one would like to see RO:O be up there with other games, competitivly. I do not think im right on everything, as it is my own opinion. It's just that I've seen the way these others have been so successfull, and am just tossing some ideas out there.

Just because I am new to the community, doesn't mean that my ideas should be disgarded so quickly.

Upvote 0
But think about it.

It is a MAJOR feature of the game that the mapper sets the limits on how many weapons of each type are available on each level. It is the CORE of the balancing.

Imagine how Kaukasus would play if the russians could choose to play with many mgers og snipers.

And the unlocking of control points by taking control over other points is one of the main reasons that games are so intense. When you dont need to defend a flag faaar behind like in dices BF series, more of the players will be situated at a coherent front line on the map.

I urge you to play some clanwars, and then look at these issues with some experience.

Your views are most welcome, and I do NOT mean to flame you by stating that i disagree with you. :) We have been lusting for new clans to join the fray for so long, i can promise you that you are in for a regular gaming treat! :D

(Btw, i have been playing hundreds of matches in the Battlefield series, even been a nations cup captain at one point. Just so you dont think i havent tried any other games than RO competitively)

Upvote 0
Shortazz said:
Thanks TW for making such a great game.

Although for us BF players, we have our likes and dislikes, but we will get used to it. The game is new, and those who are complaining, should look back and see that COD/BF/ Etc... has gone through many patches to be where it is. I'm sure we will see many patches here as well.

Now on to my competitive comments.

Devs, will there be a competition pack/patch/etc... in which we can use for ladders/leagues. I love how the game is played, pub wise... but in competition we look for a few things.

1. Recapturable bases- I feel that if you have competition how it is played now, then things will die quickly. Forcing you to capture one base before moving on to another doesn't give us many options. We like to split up and attack certain bases with certain vehicles/personel. As well as which bases to defend with what, and which ones are more important to hold.

2.Weapons- It restricts us on the amount of weapons we may use. Some situations such as matches, clans might have a need for 2 or more snipers in certain areas, as well as the other classes. Just a thought.

3. Point System- A point system would be nice for teams to know who holds the majority of the bases longer...etc.. Maybe give each team a certain number, and each kill lowers the enemies rate. (Maybe a Kill to Death Ratio would be nice top, so that us who care about our KDR's can brag or cry :p)

This is not directed to all, as i love the game as a pub. I just want this game to last in the Competitive level as well, and since the Dev's say they are all about the community, i hope that i can at least attempt to start speaking for the Competitive Community of RO:O

Thanks for your time.

Class restrictions are crucial.
I don't want to see ever again situtations that I have seen in Joint Ops, in 32 member team, 20 snipers.

Upvote 0
ok i understand where you are coming from on the gun limits. That can be playable.

With the recapturing of bases, such as the BF series, I honestly think adds for a more exciting game.

1 man sneaking around to recapture a farther back spawn, changes the tide of the whole game, and that is what makes clans think on their toes. Things such as who to send back to retrieve that base, while you are pushing on other locations.

It helps by not confining people to certain key points, and allowing them a little more freedom on the maps.

Upvote 0
Remember that in RO the mapper has total control over how capping works. Each map could actually be described as being a game mode to itself!

Some examples:

1. Some points are only cappable by one team, and if it is capped it stays that way no matter what.

2. On other points, control may change several times during a round.

3. On some maps, all points are neutral and may be capped at any time, on other maps capping one point unlocks another.

I cant even think of all the possibilites. What I am getting at is that the different levels offer wildly varying challenges and possibilites.

Upvote 0
Shortazz said:
ok i understand where you are coming from on the gun limits. That can be playable.

With the recapturing of bases, such as the BF series, I honestly think adds for a more exciting game.

1 man sneaking around to recapture a farther back spawn, changes the tide of the whole game, and that is what makes clans think on their toes. Things such as who to send back to retrieve that base, while you are pushing on other locations.

It helps by not confining people to certain key points, and allowing them a little more freedom on the maps.
What you're talking about (making all areas recapturable) can easily be done. Only problem is the modified maps will only be good for your clan server and incompatable with all other RO players. So you will need to have original versions of all maps+seperate modified versions of all maps (double the space), if you want to play on regular servers too.

Upvote 0
Shortazz said:
1 man sneaking around to recapture a farther back spawn, changes the tide of the whole game.
actualy all that means on defence is you need to have a player on every objective who will most likely be bored out of his mind during most of the match.
in the mod anyway there was almost never a dull moment. (execpt maybe on say kauk, and your defending the backroute and the enamy only goes for morters)

and the maps are just fine as they are if you ask me. having some objective non-recapable for the defenders is a good thing, it forces you do adjust your tactics to each and every map instead of just slapping on a generic tactic for every map.

and remember unlike most other games here one side is often clearly defending while the other is attacking, its not suppose to be so that the they can both win by having all objectives.
one side has to fight a delaying action while the other need to capure all objective as fast as they can. (and then you trade places)

Last edited:
Upvote 0