• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First Impressions

People complaining saying graphics make a game...... then why is the original counterstrike still the 1st/2nd most played online game on an engine thats 7 years old? In response to a few of headcases points...

'The game environment isn’t very convincing. It just looks like a load of old boxes with textures mapped all over them.'
- Lol lets just have thousands/millions of polies on screen and have pings of 2000 and fps of 10, use your brain dude. Its called optimization, look at games like CS source for example you have 10ft crates, they look cool right as everyone sees 10ft crates lying around the streets.

'Poor clipping - I’ve seen load of other players rifles appearing to stick though walls and creates'
- Im not saying your lying, but out of the hundreds of people who got to play the beta nobody mentioned this...

'Other players just vanishing from right in front of me.'
-People do disconnect and leave mid game you know ;)

'I don’t think the weapons graphics are that good, particularly when you fire them. The animations such as when you butt someone are very poor, almost amateurish.'
- How do you make a butt attack 'look' better swing the rifle like a gun??? also without sounding like im badmouthing the TW guys they are amateurs, its there first commercial release everything has been funded by themselves. It not like they have EA's or Valves money to spend on shader engines..

Oh yeah and about the cost BF2 came out last year so its bound to be a cheap game now, and if you paid

Upvote 0
Ok Where To Start Here Im Kinda Dissapointed U Guys Need To Do Some Fixin And This Game Could Get Better There Has To Be A Improvment With The Player Models It Loooks Like The Sims With Guns It Looks So Ridiculas Walking Around Like That I Turned My Game Off Plz Take That Into Consideration If U Guys Are Doing A Patch Bcuz I Wont Start No Flaming Of The Game In Here But That Looks Kinda Goofy To Me

Upvote 0
Thing is i'm not a graphix whore. I will have no trouble setting hte games graphix REALLY REALLY LOW, and just have the game work SMOOTHLY. 18 more minutes of waiting, and i'lll post my "highly anticipated" review. (BTW: if it doesn't work on my comp, i'll try it on my brother's, which i will only have temporarely).

BTW: Lemme say, WAt the ****. The beta have posted movies, that look AMAZING!!!!! Why all of a sudden people bashing its graphix and fps? I"m so confuseed, beta people never told us that the game sucked. lol.. 16 minutes.

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
I don't think that translates properly to English. Nothing was cut from the German version. The only difference is the gore is slighly lower. And there is nothing we can do about that, we have to comply with German law.

Sad,
I'm german and way over eighteen.
When I want to play a uncut version I usually order the US Version of a game.
In the case of steam it would be nice to know how you determine if you have the german or english version.

I set my XP to US and my steam is also set to US.
HL2 is also the US Version, so I think I will automatically download ROO in the US Version. (uncut)

Upvote 0
MR_MOJO said:
Ok Where To Start Here Im Kinda Dissapointed U Guys Need To Do Some Fixin And This Game Could Get Better There Has To Be A Improvment With The Player Models It Loooks Like The Sims With Guns It Looks So Ridiculas Walking Around Like That I Turned My Game Off Plz Take That Into Consideration If U Guys Are Doing A Patch Bcuz I Wont Start No Flaming Of The Game In Here But That Looks Kinda Goofy To Me

Holy mother of run on sentence and excessive use of capitals. /me dies.

Upvote 0
triath said:
Holy mother of run on sentence and excessive use of capitals. /me dies.
+

But he has a point.
As much as I love the gameplay of RO and now ROO I also hate the player models and animations.

This is a pic I've done back in the days.
And now you tell me if this looks like war. :p

ganjabot.jpg

But seriously, the model animations are probably the worst thing in ROO now.
That and clipping.

Upvote 0
stryfe said:
Btw, I have almost exclusively been playing German, MG-42. There were some concerns that this gun wasn't accurate enough. I didn't have a problem scoring 2nd-3rd in all the games I played. I think it's just a matter of finding good positions, and displacing. I found that I had better success with 2-3 second bursts. The RoF on that gun is something else, I found that you can burn through ammo really fast, so if you see an MG'er, take the time to drop him some ammo.

Upon reflection, I imagine I had a lot of easy targets. A lot of the Russian players would just run headlong into enemy fire. It will be interesting to see the tactics that will be employed against an MG.

How do you know you weren't shooting bots? :eek: No really....

Upvote 0
Loving it so far! Getting solid framerates, sticking around 30+ at high settings on my 6600GT. Drops down to 25 at a couple places in Arad, but other than that, just peachy. The movement system feels a lot more polished and natural now, and I love the way your character pops up with the IS, then ducks back down without. The weapon resting feature rocks, extremely useful, and extremely easy to use. Everything I expected it to be and more, good work RO devs! :D

Upvote 0
Alot of first posters I notice doing the majority of the arse bitching ;-\

my rig is Athlon 3200 (venice) 1.5 gig pc3200 & a gigabyte 7800GT & the game runs incredibly smoothly with all maxed out settings at 1280x1024, even have the luxury of AA & AF turned on x2 & x4 respectively, they game runs perfectly for me, guess I'm one of the luck few ^ ^

Personally I think the graphics are more than adequate & do alot to immerse me into a torrid period of our history.

Upvote 0
Well, I played 3 hours right now and several hours the UT2004-Mod (3.3). I played Forgotten Hope since first public release, so I want to post my first thoughts after release of RO:Ostfront:

compared to FH:

+

# much more realisms then FH (FH feels like Classic-BF to RO)
# much more tactical armored combat (e.g. all the shellbounces)
# way more atmosphere then FH on most maps
# way better animations then FH
# much better objects and graphics then FH (last three points also because of the better engine I guess)
# way better sounds then FH
# you gain points for doing "assistance jobs" (like driver in a tank)

-

# only a few vehicles
# limited to the ground forces (but this is fun too)
# limited to the eastern theatre
# trees looks not that good like in FH
# no at-guns :(

But that's not the important part, because both FH and RO are great games (I don't play FH anymore, because I played it way too long)

More "important" then the comparison with FH is the comparison with RO 3.3 and this is not so clear:

+

# no more lag in tankfights (at least I didn't noticed lag yet)
# further improved armored combat (more vehicles, you can look around in commander cupola, coaxial-mg for gunner, ...)
# all the uncountable little improvements
# nades seem to do less damage then in the mod (but a bit too few?)
# the nice taunts ^^

-

# "some" bugs still not fixed - most important the bug where a essential part of the HUD is gone (you only see the compass, that's all)
# graphic sometimes to "clean" and "colourful" - the dirty, depressing and hopeless atmosphere is reduced on several maps
# semiautomatic rifles (g43/svt40) seems a bit "uber"? (Didn't play much with this class, but I'm a RO-nub and I rocked with this rifles :eek: )
# nades seem to do less damage then in the mod (but a bit too few?)
# tiger a bit toothless on closerange? (need to be checked more by me, just a statement after playing konigsplatz)

Most negative point to me is the new atmosphere on some maps and the survival of the HUD-bug.

Well most important: it's a great game and I hope for a great future of this game. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After reading comments on this topic all I can say for the RO community is
Welcome to steam.

If people don't get it is about the gameplay and team work then back to CSS you go and have fun.

Since discovering the RO Mod, I have played little else. I was a little pissed this morning having to download the rest of the game cause I wasn't able to play for a half hour before work but there is no way I am expecting this to be a dissapointment. Just the nature of the game play makes this a gem compared to all the other FPS crap out there.

You want latest eyecandy and vapid gameplay, pissoff.

Upvote 0
You want bad animations? Try taking a really close look at DoD:S and CS:S. To me those animations are just horrid. Everyone looks like they're running around with a ramrod stuck up their butt. Add in zero content or replayability and I am very, very sorry that I ever thought HL2 and DoD:S were worth my money.

This game, on the other hand, is easily worth twice what I paid for it. Gameplay is so superior to DoD/DoD:S, CS/CS:S, or CoD1/2 that it's like an entire new world has opened up before me. Sure, the graphics aren't full of shiny new surfaces, but guess what - neither is a combat zone. This is the first game where the environment looks even CLOSE to what a war-torn city or countryside should look like.

And for you fellows with systems I'd die to have, you really need to figure out what YOU are doing wrong. My Athlon XP 2900+/512MB PC3200/FX 5900XT-OC is blowing your money hogs out of the water performance-wise.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
You want bad animations? Try taking a really close look at DoD:S and CS:S. To me those animations are just horrid. Everyone looks like they're running around with a ramrod stuck up their butt. Add in zero content or replayability and I am very, very sorry that I ever thought HL2 and DoD:S were worth my money.

Ha, ha! I totally agree with BooBoo on this point. I think the animations in Ost are some of the best I've seen. The melee animation is awesome! Very realistic, and it makes meleeing hard as it should be.

Also someone please make the poor Germans a patch or something, even an unoficial one, so they can see the cool gore!

Upvote 0