• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deleting semi-auto sniper rifle

Oldih said:
Besides, having semi-auto rifle as sniper often causes you to just shoot in that direction rather than trying to aim properly to hit, since if you miss one, no-one cares since you can emtpy like 3-6 bullets immediatly after.

Well...ok, but, so what? You want to remove semi-auto sniper rifles from the game because it promotes wild, innacurate shooting? That seems like a problem with the player, and not the weaponry.

Upvote 0
I'm a decent sniper and given the choice I'll take the mosin/k98k sniper rifle over the svt/g43 versions. If you do it right, you only need the 1 bullet. ;)

That being said if I have a normal rifle or an smg and I spy an unattended scoped svt or g43 I'll happily look after it, until it's original owner can be found. :) I'm civically minded that way.

Upvote 0
The choice will ultimately depend on what kind of sniping you will be doing (semi auto being better for closing off a route/street, bolt better for critical take downs at range) and the kind of environment you will be in (urban vs. rural). I can tell you that the semi auto is no where close to as accurate as the bolt and so it makes cutting off access from range much harder. Using a semi also means you have to be closer thereby putting the user at a greater risk of being spotted and killed. Honestly a scoped semi doesnt stand a chance against a normal bolt at range with good eyes.

Upvote 0
Semi-automatic is for accurate suppressing fire, mid-range takedowns, and situations where the marksman needs some extra firepower to assist his squad.

Regular bolt-action sniper rifles are for extreme-range kills. The sniper is usually detached from the squad and holed up in one spot waiting for the perfect opportunity to fire and run.

(I basically stick to the AA ideal for this: there's the rifleman with the stock rifle, then a marksman with a scoped semi-auto, then a sniper with a dedicated sniping rifle - I guess the best reference is M16A4 - M16 SPR - M24)

Upvote 0
Hell no! The devs have already made it this far and have put a lot of work into the scoped semi auto's. Instead of wasting away a lot of work for a problem like this, the "semi-auto over bolt" problem can easily be resolved by putting an individual limit on scoped semi-auto and scoped bolt actions (if it hasn''t already).

Oldih said:
Besides, having semi-auto rifle as sniper often causes you to just shoot in that direction rather than trying to aim properly to hit, since if you miss one, no-one cares since you can emtpy like 3-6 bullets immediatly after.
I've never used the scoped semi-auto's since I never got to play the beta or RO:O, but I guess I'll judge for myself to see how simple it is to spray rounds accurately. If you've played the beta or the final and you say that it's simple spray rounds inaccurately, then the more reason to take cover :cool:.

Upvote 0