• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

pretending to be dead

Popov said:
In the classic scenario where pretending death would have the most use we have a bunch of people fighting to each other at both side. You realize that the other side is seriously overpowered and without doing something clever you will be all dead in seconds. So you chose to drop on the ground as you have been shot to death and start to thin the enemy while they butching your team.

As an absolute minimum 2 against 2 are needed. For the behalf of the disabled, let's imagine the following situation: Kurt and Fritzman are down in the bunker repairing the radio to ask for support to their final heroic outburst in ****enstadt. Fritzman looks up from the table only to see Vladimir and Sergey appearing at the corner. They are in furious mood and open fire from two PPSh in that holy moment.

The tricksy Fritzman however before being actually hit roll off the chair onto the floor with a painful grimace on his face. Vladimir thinks that Sergey shot him down and for some reason Sergey thinks the same (to be more exact he thinks that Fritzman was owned by Vladimir, not by himself). They have no time to check their retinal implants to confirm Fritzman's death so being in that belief they start to shoot Kurt who still sit before the radio (with a smoking but empty Luger in his hand).

In the next second Kurt die a heroic death. As do the soviets by Fritzman's screwdiver as he ruthlessly bash them from beneath the table.

After the war Fritzman was rewarded with the Iron Cross, Second Class for bravery. Kurt got that too but Fritzman died later in 1976 from heart attack while having sex with jew prostitute in a New York brothel.

I just about pissed my pants...

Upvote 0
qwejibo said:
Here's an account of battle that includes an example of "playing dead" that probably saved the soldiers life, and he was not court-martialed for it, either... :rolleyes: http://bbll.com/army/ch03.html
It was in a situation that could never happen in game. Also, I rather think he dove prone into a ditch than playing dead man in sight of the enemy, as laying motionless for ours is not something easy to do. And I too think that he would've been court martialled if he did that right next to his commanding officer while he was ordered to shoot back.
Additionally he was effectively out of combat until it grew dark.

Conclusively I can say you might just imagine you feign dead when you get "killed" in game, as it does not mean your dead, but you're out of combat. Be it because you deceased, were heavily wounded, or just behaved cowardly under enemy fire, it is up to you to chose :p

Upvote 0
qwejibo said:
Here's an account of battle that includes an example of "playing dead" that probably saved the soldiers life, and he was not court-martialed for it, either... :rolleyes: http://bbll.com/army/ch03.html

As well, it doesn't say how he hid.

In open terrain, in a ditch, behind a log. It doesn't say. There's a difference between hiding behind cover for a few hours, and sitting in the wide open without moving for hours. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Popov said:
You hit a key and collapse like a deckchair and let others to see your beautiful ragdoll. As for yourself, you got the usual first person view of your death with the cucumber hands. It's simple like that.

lol that would be funny, i would just stand on the edge of the buildings all the time and press they key to go limp and just watch the ragdoll fall

Upvote 0
Tis funy this is mentioned, in our playtest last night, a tester was doing cool zigzag moves from coper to cover while i was prone in some odd area. He peeked/leaned around a corner and saw me, so i didnt touch a key cuz he had his gun aimed right at me from like 10 meters away. He went back in hididng, move a little and then peeked again looking at the area behind me. I raised my gun. Shot him. He was shocked. Thought i was a corpse :D

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
Tis funy this is mentioned, in our playtest last night, a tester was doing cool zigzag moves from coper to cover while i was prone in some odd area. He peeked/leaned around a corner and saw me, so i didnt touch a key cuz he had his gun aimed right at me from like 10 meters away. He went back in hididng, move a little and then peeked again looking at the area behind me. I raised my gun. Shot him. He was shocked. Thought i was a corpse :D

Haha, i'm going to try that out :p

Upvote 0