• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Possible manual error (PzKpfw III) and concerns about German AFV model selection

Zoring said:
I'd love to see some of the early tanks too, probably the Panzer II the most, but i'd also love to see some of the huge soviet monstorosities like the T35, for some multi turret madness, just for the fun of it. The more early war stuff the better

Also of course some of the other Panzer IV's just so we can see 'skirts' and all that stuff

I dont think the panzer two was very active after the invasion of France. Didnt they switch them over for the Panzers 3 and 4.

Upvote 0
They even had II's and I's in the battle of Kursk. From Kursk: The Vital 24 Hours "In fact, the LAH went into the battle on 11 July with more PzKpfw I's and PzKpfw's than Tigers and had Marder III's in the order of battle."

There's also a photo of a knocked out II next to a Tiger, and the caption mentioning how many of even these obscolescent tanks had to be used in battle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EvilAmericanMan said:
Sorry, but sloped armour is better than regular, non-sloped armour. IS-2 indeed had more of it, but the Tiger didn't, just normal armour.

If non-sloped armour is thicker it can still compete with sloped armour, and the Tigers frontal armour was a bit thicker which to some degree compensated. And the side/rear of the Panther really wasn't sloped much for obvious reasons.. and the Tiger had about twice the side/rear armour the Panther did (40mm compared to 60-80mm). With such better side/rear armour, I'd rate the Tiger as better protected overall. And the IS-2 had thick armour that was also sloped!

But I guess it's not worth getting worked up over.. it is just a single table in a manual afterall :p

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
Correct on the F1/F2 - it was the simplest way to get two variants in quickly and cheaply. For the record, the Pz IV F was the largest production run of the short-barrelled versions, with 462 built. And don't forget the longer barrelled versions weren't introduced until the Spring of 1942. The Pz IV is going to struggle against later war Soviet armour... it requires a little more thought and care to use :)

As for "which versions" we chose - well, with the Germans being so bloody chaotic - that is a long and tedious debate... we made our choices, we'll live with them. We'll also produce more vehicles - and we'd like to know which ones people want! Just not the Maus (NO, Bill... NO)... so - let the debate commence !
Yes, Dora or Gustav rail-gun!!!!!! :p

Upvote 0