• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Butovo Bliss

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
I've got to say I've been blown away by what this map has done for my enjoyment of RO2.

I started off as a Russian MGer, not expecting too much to be honest, and set up in one of the houses overlooking the main road. A road too exposed for the Germans to set up a base of fire from, but one they had to cross to get to their objective. What followed was an unprecedented level of MG domination. I managed to drop 3 men with a single burst at one point. That was until the enemy started laying down smoke across the street, then I was forced to change tactic.

Later, as a German I ended up getting into a running sniper duel with an enemy marksman in the trees around the northern border. Each of us trying to off the other so we could have a prime spot overlooking the southern street to pick off any hapless sod who stays still for too long.

I've actually had some genuine firefights on this map (ones lasting more than one clip and change of position!). A couple of times a semi-auto rifleman has unloaded prematurely with a couple of shots, expecting to get an easy hit but missing due to distance and movement, and ultimately giving away their position, giving me a chance to get down and line up a shot with my trusty bolt.

Now the fences obviously need fixing, the distance fog hampers some of the long range gameplay, the open plains could use a crater or dead horse or two for cover (and maybe a dugout for an MG), and I have concerns about how some of the foliage may give a 1 sided advantage to the enemy, but I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.

Much of it brings backs some of the core gameplay that made me fall in love with RO1. A game that rewards deliberate and cautious gunplay, as well as tactical freedom and a slower pace, and not throw away run and gun arcade action.

The variance in this map is great. You have room to room close quarter battles to the south, wide open fields (with some tree groves to hide in) to the north, and some decent mid range stuff towards the final caps in the west.

This allows areas for every class to excel, whereas in launch maps, one class in particular seems to be heavily advantaged (e.g. SMGs in Apartments, Rifles in Fallen Fighters).

The map also feels more free form, open and realistic than most of the RO2 launch maps, which by comparison feel rather game like, too narrow and restricted.

When compared to a map like fallen fighters, the difference really is stark. Fallen fighters has very monotonous, slog-a-thon gameplay. Either you sit on the sidelines with a rifle, or you run into the middle with an SMG and keep your head down and hope some team mates come to cap.

In 1 hour of playing Butovo I had more of what I would call "RO moments" than maybe the 2 weeks of playing RO2 before this.

Hopefully the upcoming realism changes and community maps are going to only enhance this, although I have to wonder at why a map like this wasn't included at launch (and it is far from perfect at the moment), but had to be added by a modder months after release.

Overall I'm feeling very positive about the future of RO2, I'm just hoping there'll be a community left by the time things get turned around.

Last edited:
I just downloaded and tried out Ogledow and Butovo an hour ago and have to agree; these maps take the foundation of combat and gameplay that RO2 provides and sets them into a new battlefield with some great unique challenges in gameplay.

Don't worry about the community, though. Every time I play I see a bunch of the same people online, meaning we have a very loyal playerbase and some truly fantastic creative people playing.

Upvote 0
I did a walk through on this map yesterday, and played a 64 man round today. This map is very well designed and quite a challenge from the Russian side. One of the clan mates suggested it would make a good tournament map in general. Perhaps the most striking thing you'll notice right away is the use of very dense foliage. Excellent idea. The town reflects a situation where there is some previous damage, but everything has not been leveled to scorched earth yet. I love the map already, and I think it will be very popular.

Upvote 0
In essence, (and this is only my perception of it, mind) it is like RO1 then. Many very average, or just plain bad, maps by default with the rare gems being few and far between and the only saving grace of the game being the community made maps.

People, I hope, are finally growing to the realisation that RO1 had average maps and it was only the community maps that have helped make the game into the legend it was.

Reactions: tofupunk
Upvote 0
The map is fun to play. And, could herald a new theater in RO (Operation Typhoon) because Butovo is in Moscow.

The geography is fun, but not accurate.

Axis attacking out of the East?

Sorry guys, the map is still a down-vote re: dev respect for the community.

If historical inaccuracy is more important than your enjoyment of playing the map...don't play it then

Upvote 0
In essence, (and this is only my perception of it, mind) it is like RO1 then. Many very average, or just plain bad, maps by default with the rare gems being few and far between and the only saving grace of the game being the community made maps.

People, I hope, are finally growing to the realisation that RO1 had average maps and it was only the community maps that have helped make the game into the legend it was.

I don't know. Were Basovka, Stalingradkessel and Konigsplatz launch maps or not? They were my favourite maps, but generally there were few RO1 maps I really felt spoil the gameplay.

Either way, I think RO1 maps were far more balanced from the start, due to how size has now changed. With zoom and more (realistically) accurate SMGs, the maps now have to be much bigger to have proper balance between rifle, SMG and MG (also in order for marksmen to have a function). Many RO2 maps are even smaller than RO1 maps so it exacerbates the balance issue.

Upvote 0
If historical inaccuracy is more important than your enjoyment of playing the map...don't play it then

Ah yes, the lowest common denominator argument. Well played.

Actually, the point is- arbitrary maps are the only offering made to the gaming community. It is insulting. If you (probably won't) remember, RO set a standard for realism.

So, lowest common denominator right back at ya: If you don't expect the game to require a semblance of realism, go play something else.

Reactions: vbloke
Upvote 0
No i don't remember much about Ostfront, or how totally unrealistic it was.

ROHours.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The map is fun to play. And, could herald a new theater in RO (Operation Typhoon) because Butovo is in Moscow.

The geography is fun, but not accurate.

Axis attacking out of the East?

Sorry guys, the map is NEATO, BUT STILL ARBITRARY.

I dont see this as an issue. I've always assumed that folks would begin making maps for periods outside the scope of Stalingrad. If the location of Butovo or any other such map is outside the Stalingrad sphere, then the modder should make a point of telling us with a description blurb.

The only negetive would be the inclusion of weapons that were not available at that time. But the map designer and/or the server admin should be able to control that issue, can they not?

With regard to Butovo; If this was part of the Moscow campaign, then obviously the MKB shouldn't be there, but these things can be corrected.

Upvote 0
Ogledow is a tank map, for wich i dont care anyway.

butuvo map is good, but atm its unwinnable for the attacking team. it needs balancing and its to dark

It is not unwinnable for them. I played 4 rounds last night and the attackers won 1. It does favour the defenders, and it also seems to be the type of map that has no middle ground, either it is a crushing victory for the defenders who never loses more than the first 1 or 2 caps, or it is a sweeping blitzkrieg victory for the attackers. No close games (which was also my experience of it in DH).

It is however a refreshing map to play with its foilage and long distances and all-round good atmosphere, and last but not least no lockdown.

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0