• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flamethrowers? Hear me out please

Nism100

Oct 9, 2011
Before you all say "This isn't COD," flamethrowers were used allot in real life Stalingrad and were a useful weapon. If you allow 1 per team and limited mobility along with a big puff around him when he explodes, killing nearby allies, it would be more fair and equal it out. It would be a useful weapon In clearing a house but not for storming at open areas due to his slower speed and short distance gun. This would own in my opinion

Nobody would want to play a flamethrower class if it was portrayed realisticly.

Do you mean exploding flamethrower tanks? Not realistic--a shrapnel or bullet impact would almost never cause the fuel inside to explode.

If portrayed realistically, the flamethrowers would have a 25-30m range, 15 seconds of fuel, and would feel like they weighed 50-75 pounds.

Nevertheless, TWI has already stated that flamethrowers won't be in Stalingrad, but the Rising Storm team plans to implement them into the upcoming mod.:IS2:

Upvote 0
Sorry but this idea is far more realistic than a tacticool MKB42 with bayo + scope.

lol exactly what i was thinking.

Having laser guided muntions is more realistic than a "tacticool MKB42 with bayo + scope". I personally think if TWI was gonna go for the arcade feel, then they should have gone all out; i would love to use some secret nazi weapons...

Upvote 0
If portrayed realistically, the flamethrowers would have a 25-30m range, 15 seconds of fuel, and would feel like they weighed 50-75 pounds.
Precisely. If flamethrowers were introduced realistically they would probably quickly become the bane of your own side. Movement would be very sluggish, which makes you a very easy target. When you open fire everyone knows where you are, which will draw an enormous amount of enemy fire. When you fire you can’t move (for blatantly obvious reasons), which will make you a very easy target. [Comment about exploding flamethrowers* removed. Ed.]

As cool(!) as flamethrowers would be, they would have to be compromised with regard to realism and they just might end up being a bit too TF2 Pyro-like, which really wouldn’t be ideal.

EDIT: * Contrary to popular belief flamethrowers don't explode when shot but they would still probably leak pressurised fuel everywhere, which when in the presence of naked flames rarely adds up to being a desirable eventuality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a general purpose weapon, sure, flamethrowers wouldn't be very useful - on pubs you'd have a hard time, but with an organized team supporting you they could be a real help. They're more for clearing out buildings, tunnels, etc. you don't really want to enter if you don't have to. Not sure their advantages would be able to be fully realized unless there was some way to make them burn down structures made of the right materials and have them remove the oxygen from the environment.

Upvote 0