• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Profile Stats improvements

Goten

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
What I'm going to propose next is more important than what appears first time you look at it.

This improvements are much more than graphical or statistical improvements, they are psychological ! If this improvements will be accepted more people will enjoy RO2 better, the gameplay will improve (I'm referring to capping and defense of the cap zones - aka "playing the objectives"), play more relaxed and crap like team-switching to the winning team in the last seconds of the game will decrease (not dissappear unfortunately).

How will all those things be addressed just by moddifing some stats screen ?

Well ... it's about the human psychology. Most of us are affected by statistics. You can deny it, you may not realise it, but MOST of the people when they play something that has some statistical information will think more or less about it when they play. The "happiest" ones will ignore it completely but the "saddest ones" will just play to reach those self-imposed statistics numbers (eg: "I want a kill/death ratio of 2", "I want a win/lose ratio of 2" etc). To reach those goals (just like when people play to level up) you will see less team-play and more selfishness.

Ok ... I could talk an hour about this ... so I'll just get in the middle of it.

Without further ado this is what I am proposing - The stats should go from this:

To this:

Explanations:

1. Remove all the "negative statistics"

This is by far the most important thing it should be done !

The same way suicides and team-kills were not introduces in the statistics - the deaths, win/deaths ratio, the losses and subsequently the win/loss ratio should dissapear.

Take deaths for example: it's frustrating enough to:

a) be killed
a+) (this is just for team-players) let your team down
b) wait 20+ seconds (I get the long spawns because I'm lucky ^^)
c) walk all the way over where you should be (the cap-zone preferably)

There is no need to extra-annoy the player with some statistical data about it. With this death numbers the player will get extra-annoyed as I said + some of the people just camp or don't rush objectives because they might die and change their "beloved" kills/death ratios.

The "Losses" and "Win/Loss Ratio" creates another kind of animal: the guy who quits his team when he think he will lose or the more pathetic ones who will join the winning team in the last seconds. We all now what this leads to: poor(er) gameplay, the imbalances of the teams increases, auto-balance will annoy the people who got switched to the losing team.

2. Increase/add more "positive" statistics

1. MGs resupplied

If you play MG you know: even if the player gets 5 points for doing almost nothing you will still not get ressuplied how you should.

By adding this in the stats screen people will think twice before avoiding to resupply. If they see it there they will start thinking it's important (because it is) and will start to resupply more.

2. Cap/zones statistics

Very important ! By being in the stats maybe the people will realise that killing and dying are just means, not the end !!!

You kill and you die trying to take or defend a cap zone you don't play TDM with some cap zones randomly thrown on the map.

This is very important imho. I would really want to see this added.

I'm glad you like it guys :)

The "charm" of this suggestion is that it should be great for everybody, I mean I don't know anyone out there who feels happiness when he checks the "Death" or "Loss" numbers or when he thinks: "damn not only that I lost the match, but now my "win/loss" ratio dropped to X".

I just hope developers will modify the Stats screen to reflect those changes. People will be more happy and relaxed to play the game.

Also, as I stated before, adding the Captured and Defended Zones to the stats will make people realise what they are playing for. If you could, TWI, put those 2 in red :p. I'm tired to see 4 people taking an objective in a full 32 people team. I can understand the snipers and MGs, but the other guys should just try to capture objectives.

So vote (positively :p) to this topic, maybe we get some attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An interesting idea. I agree.

They could add some other stats like:

Enemies bled to death
Total bullets shot
Bullets shot per kill
Enemies spotted (using z)
Matches won as Axis
Matches won as Allies
Matches won as Defending team
Matches won as Attacking team

I'm on the fence about having points earned in a life or avg lifespan.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you like it guys :)
It's not a new psychology either, it's been done in other games to positively reinforce newer players with a view to improving player retention for the game overall. One such example is Blizzard adjusting the player stats pages on Starcraft 2 to only show positive metrics, taking away the previously

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
I personally have no interest in the stats, I just play the game. Maybe every two weeks I wonder what level I am in something and go check but I don't fawn over every detail of the stats.

Your idea sounds like a good idea, and fairly simple since those stats don't affect anything else. But, people who have been interested in those things might whine that something that was there has been taken away from them (that's some psychology, too). So perhaps it would be a good idea to put the negative stats on a toggle in the options which starts out off by default (so new players won't see it) but can be turned back on by people who really need to know.

Upvote 0
No one needs those stats!! TWI should remove all the stats, because stats are useless!! Players only camp arround do nothing for the team and take only care about their f...... kill death ratio!! It is some of the worst implements of the game!! Also Cod has Stats and weapon progress!!

With the amount of times I've seen teams get steam-rolled or provide an Iron Defence :)IS2:), I don't think people are hanging back hugging their K/D ratio anywhere near as much as you seem to make out. And just because another game has something doesn't mean that this one can't. CoD has soldiers shooting other soldiers, should we turn this into RO2: Pacifists of Stalingrad? :p
It's that same old argument again.

I personally like to keep track of how well I'm doing and having team oriented stats sounds like a decent idea to me.

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0