• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Consolidating the game into one mode

Giant Enemy Cat

Dec 22, 2011
England
Expanding upon a previous post, I think creating casual and realism modes for a game with such a small and focussed playerbase was a mistake. Splitting the playerbase is the last thing we want. Since this is supposed to be an authentic WWII FPS that leans towards realism, that should be the only mode. This is only going to get worse once modifications come out.

Do you agree with this notion?

I agree splitting it was a bad idea from the get go.

Of course i dont want a compromised game either where no one gets what they want. (but happy with some comprimise if the servers are full and it is fun)

I would tend to sacrifice more relaxed realism components over realism components to obtain the balance.

Thats said there is alot of confusion among people as to what constitutes realism.

Some believe more gun sway is realism when it simply is not....as a single example... these people i tend to find are not after a realism mode they are after RO1 with a newer Unreal engine.

Upvote 0
I guess I think the opposite. I think it is great that there is two modes to choose from, but I think they could have done better at separating them. I think the realism mode, or hardcore, or what have you, should be harder and more stripped. Where as with the normal mode I think it should be a bit easier with a better compass.

For the record I prefer the harder modes in all games including this, if they make a true realism mode I shall be very happy.

Upvote 0
If you prefer to see the game go down the locked-down-path, then see Modern Warfare 2 for a prime example of what happens. Players have no control of anything, no modding or customization-capabilities it was a complete disaster of the franchise and ruined it after cod4.

One mode only doesn't solve anything, infact TWI went the correct route when allowing for mods, open server files and a ton of customization.

Upvote 0
I do worry about splitting the community. But I also worry about the "realism" of your avatar having the steadiness of a drunkard, the endurance of an emphysema patient, and the mobility of a knight in plate armor being forced down our throats by RO diehards.

UGH, that is NOT what most of us RO1 Vets want, my God doesn't anyone actually read the posts???? WTF :mad:

Back on topic: There really is no problem with splitting because players can easily go back and forth between the two different modes just by the server they choose to play on. No mods or extra downloads. It really is as simple as that.

For the most part, the only splitting is the difference of opinions here in the forums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@OP agree

TWI put so much effort into arcade community
- They added FF and CD gamemodes to RO and look at server browser - there are like 2-3 FF/CD servers with 10 people and 30 bots playing it. Even when they forced competitive community (SE tournament) to play CD instead of TE that didn't help. And don't get me wrong I really like CD gamemode as retired CS player, but that clearly shows that CoD and CS players were more important to TWI than old customers. (they also broke TE by adding lockdown and AI MG bot)
- They added relaxed realism into game: about 80% of servers run realism mode only
- They turned RO into cheap CoD clone, community wants RO spirit back (AGAIN NOT A CARBON COPY OF OSTFRONT, BUT IMPROVED RO/DH GAME, THE REAL SUCCESSOR).

I don't mind to have bigger playerbase however making a cheap clone of popular game won't work. Ugly looking burger (HoS) from small pub doesn't look like McDonalds's cheesburger (CoD) even if tastes better. When old customers would like some fancy, high quality food like roast (RO/DH).
Also making game as much arcade/fast/CQF as possible isn't answer. Take a look at ArmA 2 community: many times bigger, more active community, A2 modders release every day new addons, missions, hundreds of active clans etc. And Arma 2 is tactical, slow paced and realistic mil sim w/ huge open maps. Same story with mount and blade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Arcade and Realism communities by default are split. And I think both communities would enjoy the game more if the arcade mode would be more arcade and the realism mode would be more realistic.

^^ This I agree with. A huge gap between the modes should have been done to allow for a more defined distinction. We'd gotten our devNuts kicked nonetheless since you cannot please 100% of the people 100% of the time anyway.

Upvote 0
@OP agree

TWI put so much effort into arcade community
- They added FF and CD gamemodes to RO and look at server browser - there are like 2-3 FF/CD servers with 10 people and 30 bots playing it. Even when they forced competitive community (SE tournament) to play CD instead of TE that didn't help. And don't get me wrong I really like CD gamemode as retired CS player, but that clearly shows that CoD and CS players were more important to TWI than old customers. (they also broke TE by adding lockdown and AI MG bot)
- They added relaxed realism into game: about 80% of servers run realism mode only
- They turned RO into cheap CoD clone, community wants RO spirit back (AGAIN NOT A CARBON COPY OF OSTFRONT, BUT IMPROVED RO/DH GAME, THE REAL SUCCESSOR).

I don't mind to have bigger playerbase however making a cheap clone of popular game won't work. Ugly looking burger (HoS) from small pub doesn't look like McDonalds's cheesburger (CoD) even if tastes better. When old customers would like some fancy, high quality food like roast (RO/DH).
Also making game as much arcade/fast/CQF as possible isn't answer. Take a look at ArmA 2 community: many times bigger, more active community, A2 modders release every day new addons, missions, hundreds of active clans etc. And Arma 2 is tactical, slow paced and realistic mil sim w/ huge open maps. Same story with mount and blade.

Well of course they wanted to attract new players. If RO2 was only sold to RO1 players you'd have 100 people online and TWI bankrupt.

And it's not a CoD clone no matter how many times idiots keep blabbering about it.

I'm not even gonna comment on your fast-food analogue. It's just ridiculous.

Don't be an selfish *** please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^ This I agree with. A huge gap between the modes should have been done to allow for a more defined distinction. We'd gotten our devNuts kicked nonetheless since you cannot please 100% of the people 100% of the time anyway.

Yep but you also need to make game looking as good as BF3/MW3 to attract arcade community...

ps. I like HoS graphic, but I'm only 0.001%... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

well whatever u do someone is always complaining :)

infact at this stage, you guys are under the scope and everything you do with the game is closely inspected, I quess under the circumstances you just have to do whatever feels right for you guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't agree with the split as it is unnecessary. Allow Relaxed Realism players to play on Relaxed Realism servers and Realism players to play on Realism servers, as it is now.

Some believe more gun sway is realism when it simply is not....as a single example... these people i tend to find are not after a realism mode they are after RO1 with a newer Unreal engine.

It would be wise to start speaking for yourself then for entire group within the community that you are obviously and naturally opposed to.

For the most part, people wanted evolution with Heroes of Stalingrad from the get go. The addition of tweaked sway features doesn't necessarily equate to a purely cosmetic RO1 remake.

Such a play on words to justify one's own desires over another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know this is a bad example (so don't rip my head off) But if BF3 didn't have hard core mode, I would not continue to play that game. While a majority of players like REG mode. I feel its awesome I bought a game that met not only my style of play, but others as well.

It is a double edge sword. It's good to make different people happy b/c you can't make us all happy with one mode...but there are not many players playing right now....so. But Hopefully once the patches get rolled out more people will start playing again and we can have players on both sides.

Upvote 0
To be perfectly 100% honest with you guys, I don't even realize when I'm playing on realism or relaxed mode. I just set up my MG somewhere and am firing away, maybe after like 20 mins I'll realize I don't have my map in the lower right. I can't tell the difference other than not being able to see friendlies easier, which doesn't effect my game in anyway.

Upvote 0
To be perfectly 100% honest with you guys, I don't even realize when I'm playing on realism or relaxed mode. I just set up my MG somewhere and am firing away, maybe after like 20 mins I'll realize I don't have my map in the lower right. I can't tell the difference other than not being able to see friendlies easier, which doesn't effect my game in anyway.

I have to agree with you on that one. I think the presence of pistols for riflemen is the only thing that makes me able to tell which gamemode the server is running.

Upvote 0