• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MGers ditching their weapon.

Interesting, I don't remember any of these behaviors in RO:O. What changed since that? Ahhhhh unlocks and leveling....I remember that community didn't wanted it to avoid such situations, but someone decided different.

Ehhh... just don't get me started about the behavior of certain players in RO1, where dozen of players would just follow their sniper ignoring the objectives, waiting like vultures for him to die, or even killing him themselves to take his weapon. This has nothing to do with the game itself, it has to do with people who play the game.

Upvote 0
I dont really understand why people slag off the MG so much. It has 2 major problems - exagerated recoil on the bipod and not enough on the hip. Hopefully these issues will be addressed at some point.

However, I find the weapon pretty effective when used as intended - i.e. set up in a concealed position where you cant be flanked and overlooking a fairly narrow area such as a street or alley.
When set up in such a manner it is very difficult for anyone to pick you off but not impossible.

So as a keen MG user I find it a great thing that the slots are always empty:p

Last edited:
Reactions: DasFist
Upvote 0
If you will allow me a small rant, it really p***es me off when I see someone take the MG class, then throw away the MG and go pistol-only to try and level up the pistol.

I must say I have done this a few times, but thats only when we're playing maps with lots of cqb.. I'm often playing a very offensive game and it gets quite irritating when only mg and rifleman is avaible..and as a rifleman u often get one chance only to hit the enemy or you're dead.. Playing as a MG u run slow and it's relly hard get over open areas.. with a pistol u run fast and it's easier to fight in close combat..

and I'm not trying to level up anything.. just getting tired of always choosing between MG and rifleman.. :(

Reactions: how2skate_com
Upvote 0
Dicks will always be dicks.

The sort of person who cares about levelling up more than teamplay won't sudenly hang around if you get rid of unlocks, they probably didn't play RO and they probably won't hang around RO2 either.

There's great teamplay on RO2, you just have to hunt around the servers to find it, but when you do stick to that server. More team minded players will join.

The dicks will get bored and go somewhere else, whatever happens with the game in the future.

Upvote 0
Ehhh... waiting like vultures for him to die, or even killing him themselves to take his weapon.
LOL god I remember seeing that happen. I've never really enjoyed sniping with a scope, I prefer using a normal rifle for such work. I don't seem to see the "vulturism" happening in RO2, do you think it's because it's more fast paced now with the more close quarter urban combat maps?

I dont really understand why people slag off the MG so much. It has 2 major problems - exagerated recoil on the bipod and not enough on the hip. Hopefully these issues will be addressed at some point.

However, I find the weapon pretty effective when used as intended - i.e. set up in a concealed position where you cant be flanked and overlooking a fairly narrow area such as a street or alley.
When set up in such a manner it is very difficult for anyone to pick you off but not impossible.

So as a keen MG user I find it a great thing that the slots are always empty:p
I've come across skilled mgr's in RO2, and they are VERY effective. Often you have to avoid the area of the map that they own unless smoke is used effectively. Sometimes I'll spend ages trying to take one out and finally sneak up on him and pistol whip him to death! :p

Except it takes 4 bullets to kill someone with the P 38...

Not if you aim for the head or the heart. Pistoling has made me a better shot BECAUSE of it's weakness and the slow reload of the nagant revolver ensures you make every round count. I can snipe up to 90m's with the revolver now! ;)

Reactions: Gudenrath and r5cya
Upvote 0
Ehhh... just don't get me started about the behavior of certain players in RO1, where dozen of players would just follow their sniper ignoring the objectives, waiting like vultures for him to die, or even killing him themselves to take his weapon. This has nothing to do with the game itself, it has to do with people who play the game.

I liake hav nevor done dat b4.
Die already...... *Pops up and down behind the sniper, and shoots randomly, Then hides* Moments afterwards sniper dies, what a convenience. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Part of the issue with MGs in every game is that even a section of the "realism" people expect them to have powers that a real mg wouldn't. For example comments of the "well you can't get one set up in a window without getting your head shot off" type. That's not a problem with the game. That IS realistic. Mgs in real life don't automatically suppress everyone with a view of the mg just due to existing. An mg spewing off a million rounds a second is basically a shoot me sign.

They are only really useful - to the degree that people imagine they should be anyway - in situations where you can't easily be flanked, have a (relatively) narrow view and can't be shot from above. And that's pretty much the way it should be.

Anyway, the main point I'm trying to get at is that no amount of upping the realism is going to stop people from trying to use the mg "improperly" - because properly used the mg is only good very situationally, where most of the other guns are good in a wide variety of situations.

Upvote 0
in Darkest Hour, I used to play as the MG42 class on defensive maps only to run just in front of spawn and suicide.

I was the purveyor of MG42s. I suicide and friendly picks up the gun. I would do this until the entire german team had MG42s.

I would get all tingly seeing half of my team with scores over 100 and the american side whining about the torrential downpour of lead.

Reactions: pepihoh
Upvote 0
Please[/B] don't take MG class unless you're going to use it properly to support your team![/I]

I found your problem, you're actually in the wrong game. It's okay, misclick. Everyone has it happen to them eventually. Now back into your Steam library we go, hit R, then open up Red Orchestra. Be careful now, don't hit Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, that's not the game you're looking for. You want a game with support classes in a game built around teamplay, not a game with support classes in a game built around Rambo style Modern Warfare play.

It's like Day of Defeat: Source. Actually I like that one better since it takes up less room on my drive, uses less resources, bugs out less and has a community which doesn't take itself so damn seriously in a game not designed to be serious.

Except that the only decent servers are run by complete... Well, any mod who spawn camps then kicks you when you do it is just pathetic. But if you want a fun game which doesn't have serious predecessors, go play DoD:S.

Upvote 0