• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Custon Uniform skins?

ingsoc39

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
West Coast
Is anyone currently working on any custom uniform skins..both Soviet and German...to add a tad more authenticity to the game? Personally I find the German selection a bit too mundane and I think there could be much done to enhance it graphically/historically...such as was done with the original Medal of Honor series.

Never played Medal of Honor, but Custom skins would be nice. these could be chosen though leveling up with Honor I would think and having an option to be turned on/Off

it could be split into a few things, Helmet cover/Hat, Jacket/Coat and Trousers, off corse keeping to Uniforms and Modifications that could of been present at the time in Stalingrad

Just off the top of my head we could have:
- White Helmet covers
- White Snow Suit thing (What you call them? the full white suits)
- Soviet Fur Coats
and possibly the 38' Amoeba, '41 Summer for the Russians and maybe some Spliter and pea dot Camo for Jerry?

Upvote 0
Yeah and just watch, someone will make HIGH VISIBILITY neon green skins to get an edge in combat.

Happens in loads of other games.

That only works in games with replacive clientside modding, IE games where you can just put a skin in the right folder, and the game will load that skin instead of the default one for you only.

This is not how the Unreal engine works however, it's entirely additive serverside modding, you cannot overwrite the game files (well you can, but it would break the game), all mods must be standalone plugins, and they must be run by the server to work, you can't change something like enemy skins clientside so only you can see it.

There's a few exceptions to that rule, i belive that text fonts and audio files are exempt, thouse you can change clientside, but everything related to the code, 3D models and textures is off limits, and can only be changed by the server, and if you attempt to overwrite any of thease files you will nolonger be able to play the game Online, the server will detect that your files have been modified and auto-kick you with a "Version mismatch" error.

This modding structure is both good and bad, it's safer, it makes it harder for people to cheat, and makes sure everyone is playing/seeing very much the same game.

But it also makes modding much harder, in games that allow replacive modding the floor is pretty much open to any kind of talent, people who are really skilled at making textures for instance can just do that and release their work, people who are really good at making gunsounds can just do that and release it, it's very simple, but this is not the case with the Unreal engine, it requires that you be proficient at coding in Uscript too, because the only way you can put your content into the game is to code a mutator that does so.
This means a lot of people who may be hugely talentet in their field, simply won't mod it because they can't code, they can make good content but have no idea how to put it in the game.

It also makes it hard to get your mod played, it's all serverside, it only works if the server wants to use it, so if you can't find any servers running the mod you won't be playing it.

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
I just read an article about stalingrad, and it said that the germans really got no winter clothes so they scavanged whatever warm clothes they could find. 1 soldier was seen running around with 3-4 layers of women clothes on him and 1 guy made ear protectors out of women bra. I think implementing stuff like this to germans would really make the game more realistic :cool:

Upvote 0