• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove 90fps cap online

It isn't by any chance one of those monitors advertised as 120hz that is actually 60hz with some silly double-refresh mechanism is it?

Never understood this fixation on FPS and FOV, as long as I don't get tearing I'm happy. Motion blur, now that's something games could do with out.

As far as FOV is concerned it can be generally beneficial to use a higher one in competitive games, since you can see more of the playing field. Doesn't really apply to KF though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as FOV is concerned it can be generally beneficial to use a higher one in competitive games, since you can see more of the playing field. Doesn't really apply to KF though.

That I understand and can appreciate fully (heck, I use 3 monitors a lot of the time although only on a few select games), what I'm referring to is the number of threads you see for games that don't have a FOV option by default, I think the last big one was Dead Island. And it's full of whiners that 'have to go lie down' or 'get a head ache' if they can't change the FOV. A friend calls them the nosebleed bunch.

Oh hey, what about the sound system?

Hmm... nothing to fancy here, an early Creative model will do, pre EAX era if you are into vintage. No higher than 16bit. As for the speakers... a pair of single cone BATTERY powered speakers, god forbid you forget to turn them off when not using them. Heh, hope you picked them up in beige.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin and Elsea
Upvote 0
Stop this bickering about me being picky ;p
Ok yes it has more to do with principal that actually seeing but it wud help.

About ppl saying they pwn at fps with 60hz monitors, no you do not because all Q3/QL gud players use either old *** crts at atleast 85hz or 120hz lcds. I mean the difference is huge, you really need to try it before you act all tuff ;p

Here is me Quake Live Montage All Aim No Brain - YouTube
I play on 120hz ;p

Still is there a way to get this working?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All joking aside I'm fairly certain that the Unreal 2.5 engine has a 90fps cap online and I'm unaware of any work around.

TBH, in an uncompetitive game such as this I think you should just suck it up and enjoy the game (sorry if that comes across harsh, couldn't think of how else to phrase it)

Oh, and I've played Q3 and UT/UT2k4 on old ****ty machines that I've had to overclock to the balls to play at a reasonable rate and on machines and again on hi end gaming rigs where if I let it Q3 would start running at insane speeds. Both times I had lots of fun, isn't that what is important?

30fps to 60fps, yes noticeable differences, 60-90 not so much 90-120, can't really be that much can it?

Upvote 0
you'll have to do it after every mapchange, binding it to a key is the easiest way to do it
No you don't.

User.ini:
[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=

Put 15000

This is the only way you'll see the increase in FPS online. If you leave it at default, the now unlocked fps will still be limited to the netspeed default. You also probably shouldn't go any higher than that, you may start getting lag if your connection isn't too steady.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder3000
Upvote 0
15" monitor - pure luxury. 14" monitor @320 x 240, internal speaker. Now get off my lawn.

Yeah, now we are talking pro gaming.

console --> netspeed 15000 (every netspeed over 10000 will work)

you'll have to do it after every mapchange, binding it to a key is the easiest way to do it

No you don't.

User.ini:
[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=

Put 15000

This is the only way you'll see the increase in FPS online. If you leave it at default, the now unlocked fps will still be limited to the netspeed default. You also probably shouldn't go any higher than that, you may start getting lag if your connection isn't too steady.

Do you not risk causing more problems with this? Including increased lag and server load. As you are demanding more updates than a server might have available. Most hosts will have servers stick tightly to their requirements, both in hardware and connection.

Upvote 0
Like I said, the difference between 90 and 120 is three thousandths of a second. I seriously doubt your eye can honestly tell a difference.

You're right with the numbers, but as at least two people I know have played on 120Hz monitors with 120FPS, they saw the huge difference there is (of course you need good hardware to play the last games with 120Hz). It is not psychological. Actually the eye sees the difference between 30/60/120Hrz

The more image per second, the better.

Did you try it? Maybe you know someone you can go to test?

Upvote 0
It may not be psychological but it is definetely consumerical, this whole 120hz gimmick was just a side effect of having stereoscopic abilities. Just another number they could hype in the product description. If you paid high bucks for a 120hz monitor, it *must* be awesome.

But anyways, this was 2011's hype. Today we want 4K monitors on our 17" laptops.

Upvote 0