• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Option: Forced Foliage

It's a bit of a dick move to the real cheapo's amongst us, but IMO it is a mandatory addition.

By cheapo's I mean people with cheap / crappy PC's. Imo the people with PC's that slow make up a small segment of the PC gaming market, and possible exploits should not be introduced just so some one with a GeForce 6000/7000 series card can play the game...

Upvote 0
Foilage really shouldn't be an option. It provides cover and has an extremely important role to play in tactics on open range maps.

I just found out today that in fact it is an option in RO2, and I must say that my mind still boggles when I try to figure out how on Earth this decision was ever implemented in the game.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but im against servers that force high or ultra settings, like that 1 guy said, NO for that, i personally play low-medium.
the op isn't saying you have to run on ultra settings. just that you have to have the same grass (that we all use for cover) that everyone else has. it's not really fair for some people to get away with being able to see you when your supposed to be hidden. if you could see through walls on the low setting, would you think it was alright to use low then?

i don't agree with some of the other posts though. grass setting are enough. why force shadows? those slow down the cpu.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is a custom map, then it should be up to the mapper. In some cases the foliage, grass, whatever could be purely decorative and add little or no visual cover; it just makes the map look nicer. If I remember correctly in the ROOST SDK you could pick and choose what you wanted to be forced on. You may want tall grass forced on because it provides cover, but shorter grass not. You get the idea.

I don't know how it works with the ROHOS SDK, but if it is similar then it should be up to the map creator.

Now stock maps I think it should be forced on if it affects gameplay.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
"why force shadows?"

That's why:

Apex. said:
This is RO2, max settings in all its glory, every setting set to ultra, and post processing on enhanced
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/452/2011091500001.jpg

this is after i've tweaked the game... easier to see enemies, and can see right into buildings.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5549/2011091500002.jpg

"-- shadows and other similar features are not nearly as crucial (as foliage) in actual gameplay."

No, they're very crucial in actual gameplay. See the difference on the quoted links. At the moment they're even much more crucial than foliage, as the maps with grass are rare. I didn't mean forced ultra high in servers, I just want those "competitive" see-everything-in-a-glimpse graphics settings removed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just tested Butovo on my rig. FPS didn't change at all between low foilage and high because my FPS is capped at 60.

What is your ring?

I tested that too. High foliage on butovo kills my framerate (~60fps -> ~35fps) compared to medium settings.

Same for me.

Q9550
4GB ram
Zotac GTX260 AMP2 768MB

Actually what is the difference between medium and high settings?

Can someone explain how it works?

Upvote 0
You can do this already using CVAR checking by PBBANS. ROLeague use it since it was released and force players to keep their settings "fair" for competitive community.
You can force every setting (for example allow from medium to ultra only) from config file.

Here's more about that http://www.pbbans.com/info-center-cvarmd5guide.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is a custom map, then it should be up to the mapper. In some cases the foliage, grass, whatever could be purely decorative and add little or no visual cover; it just makes the map look nicer. If I remember correctly in the ROOST SDK you could pick and choose what you wanted to be forced on. You may want tall grass forced on because it provides cover, but shorter grass not. You get the idea.

I don't know how it works with the ROHOS SDK, but if it is similar then it should be up to the map creator.

That's exactly what's happening on Ogledow. Any grass that I intend to be used as cover is permanent. If there is any decorative grass, that's just what it will be, decorative, with no pretension to hiding players.

Upvote 0
This is not true.
Foliage will change performance a lot, if map will have a lot of grass.
For example when you set foliage on High on the map TE-Butovo, performance will be unplayable.

When making maps you have to design with that in mind. Good design should take that into account. Rendering every blade of grass looks pretty, but you have to decide what is really important in the map and cut that which isn't if it degrades performance.

Upvote 0