• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your cussing opinion

Part of me thinks it's hilariously hypocritical and stupid to ban swearing in a game like this. It can't be about liability, because it's an M rated game that already contains rude language.

Especially delicious are the servers where the words deemed offensive get automatically filtered and changed to strings of *'s, yet the ban on using them is still in place and you get warned/punished for saying what everyone sees as merely "****".

But, another part of me will always try to respect server rules and I can also see a certain logic at work in why a lot of server admins will control harsh language. The way I see it, it's still just a game and it's not a terrible idea to promote civility amongst players that visit your server. What you want as a server admin is an overall positive experience where players respect one another and feel like coming back to your server, where win or lose all can have a good time in good spirits. If that in itself offends a few people who can't get by without swearing, many admins are willing to make that sacrifice rather than earn a reputation of being the opposite kind of server.

I'm not saying that context is unimportant or that certain words are inherently anything. It obviously is and they obviously aren't. F words can be as friendly as can be or as caustic as battery acid. When I have the choice between playing on a server where adults can be adults without silly rules about certain words and one where we can't potentially offend anybody, to me it matters to me far less as a factor than how the gameplay is on the server. I'll tolerate either rules against swearing or a ton of swearing as long as I can play a good match.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I honestly posted this to know peoples opinions B/C it honestly doesn't make any sense to me. I wanted to hear from one of these admins that enforce it, and maybe I can either know there opinion and say "OK, I get it" or change there mind about it. (real reason I posted this)

Thank you guys for posting, read all yall's post ;) But no one stated any good reason other than "Its my server, my rules." Which I will obey and respect.

But! C'mon I was in the army. I literally have a problem with cussing. I'm sorry I'm really working on not cussing. My sister slaps me every time I'm around her and her kids.

I join server and I honestly really try not to be disrespectful to other players (unless there hacking/ glitching/ team killing/ being REALLY annoying)

I just cuss when I talk, I say "**** sorry" and a admin gets on me and threatens to kick me.

I don't think I posted this to just be a complainer. I just don't get it, if you don't get something you ask right?

Upvote 0
I don't think I posted this to just be a complainer. I just don't get it, if you don't get something you ask right?

Even with the best of intentions, you might not be able to escape the kicks/bans for your "random swearing" :) If it happens though, you'll (hopefully) have a good chance of explaining yourself to the admin, if you wanted to try that. If you find a server you really like and then you're kicked/banned for this reason, it's definitely worth speaking up and at least trying to get it overturned.

This can be pretty difficult sometimes - but we're talking about swearing here, rather than cheating, harassing, abusing etc. - I do think most admins are approachable, but there are definitely exceptions :) heh

Upvote 0
hanky said:
How can you not be ok with and offended by cussing, yet killing people doesn't bother you?
People don't die when you play in a video game. It is not real. It's for fun. No harm done. Insulting the other people (and swearing/cussing is related to that) is real and should not be allowed. I have to ask you a question why cussing should be allowed? What do you need it for? If you want to vent emotions then you can rage inside of your room without expressing it to the world and/or on the other people (For clarification - I mean "you" as people in general. Nothing personal). Honestly, there is no need to say or write something like that in public.

Reactions: Six_Ten
Upvote 0
Im not a fanatic against cursing, but sometimes people overdue do it and every other word out of their mouth is a cuss word....it just gets old real fast..

Intelligent admining is the key!

Nail on the head.
Don't like the server, then move along. You will have no issues finding one you like.

And as you know Hanky, you can come cuss at me all you like on ours. As you need to, what with being killed all the time and all.:D

Upvote 0
I don't cuss to insult, vent, or to offend. I cuss because it's how I talk.

I have to FULLY agree with the two are not related. cussing != insult people.

You can say cuss words to say them. Being a little turd to annoy people and cussing are two different things.

It's to say to make the rule "be respectful and courteous to other players" vs "don't cuss"

I think that's the admins intentions is to make sure people are not annoying and bother other players. But some admins ( who don't pay for the server just know the guy that does) Enforce rules (which they should) but when the rule is "No cussing" They kick people because they said sh!t.

If you don't believe me when I say cussing doesn't equal abusive annoying disruptive language. Join the military. You'll learn real fast that it's it's own language.

Upvote 0
well I never really cared for terms like "...Sh**ting his pants" or even some of the things in the RO 1 mods ,....As far as in chat or voip ,...I just feel its mostly a little older playerbase
& we should be able to communicate without sounding like 12 year olds that just learned a new word ,...Its embarassing when when someone else in another room can hear the voip
,...I dont mind when it happens occasionally in the course of a game ,...but when its swearing just for the sake of swearing , it makes you sound like a fool ,...these would be the times you wife walks by & says "that sounds like a real mature game ur playing there " ....
after you have explained to her its all adult like & about realism & teamwork,etc....

Upvote 0
hanky said:
I don't cuss to insult, vent, or to offend. I cuss because it's how I talk.
It is more complicated matter really. For some groups it is natural to use cuss and for some it is rude and indecent. For some it is used to insult, vent or offend too. For some it is not. Now, which point of view enforce? One suppressing people who cuss or giving them free hand on the matter? Given the choice I would forbid cussing myself because ultimately when I look at them I see nothing wrong in not being able to cuss while I see that cussing could be received incorrectly. "It would be their fault to misunderstand that". Yes, but why should we take chances as owner of the server and risk creating a tension between players? Cussing for the sake of cussing is not bringing any purpose. I see little harm in occasional cussing and don't mind it, but there is even littler in avoiding cussing at all, so I can't truly support your cause.

In the end it is just a matter of perspective and personal approach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah ha, I was reading this thread and thinking about that video clip. The thing is, does Fry curse in public? No, he doesn't. You can only really curse like a trooper around those who know you well and understand your inferences.

Cursing can very easily be misunderstood; particularly if you don't know the person and especially if it's also in text.

Anyways, I'd just like to add that I believe I am an excellent user of profanity. I just don't do it around people I don't know so well. So to my mind, there are two reasons: stop stupid arguments arising, and also just basic human manners.

Upvote 0
Five stars to that video! Awesome work. lol In all honesty I get it, you don't want the server to turn into a bunch of children who go about cussing and saying vulgar things to one another.

So your answer is to simply "ban" the words one would use in these conversations.

Instead of:
1) Don't be annoying
2) Be respectful to other players

Cause in all honestly someone can be very annoying and very disrespectful without cussing.

Maybe I'll never understand. Thank you guys for your responses.

Reactions: stern
Upvote 0
I used to admin a dods server... the sudden curse word because of a death or something like that when it slips out i could understand. Giving orders with curse words for emphasis i could understand when using the mic.... however, those people that took the time to type in curse words..well it didnt really fall into the above categories...the only reason people type curse words in the game is to be noticed..why would you take the time to type something and have to add additional time to type using curse words.....attention...

When i was in the service, you cussed and i mean a lot.. it was almost expected....After i got out of the service and was away from that environment, i was able to tone it down....Now when i hear people cussing it makes me think, that person wants attention or they lack an education that allows them to speak intelligently.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
to be honest, im more offended by the word "cussing" than i am of anything anyone can say in game.

though when its used to insult some one its not on, but then you can be insulting with out swearing at some one, the use of language just makes it more obvisious. something ive only experianced on one server so far is little scrots just typing words because theyve just learnt it in the play ground.

swearing isnt bad, its a war game and were shooting and dismemebring each other in a game based on the most bloody and distructive battle in the most bloody and brutal war in history, look to that before you get take offense to words. if it excessive swearing and looks like its just swearing for effect, tell them to shut up.

Reactions: Scarf Ace
Upvote 0
Instead of:
1) Don't be annoying
2) Be respectful to other players

Cause in all honestly someone can be very annoying and very disrespectful without cussing.

Obviously that is true, but, as in my example above, saying "what the **** are you doing?" as opposed to "what are you doing?" is both annoying and disrespectful to me. If you don't want to cause offence, why bother inserting the "****"?

"You're an immature twat", or "I don't agree with your opinion" - which is going to provoke a sensible response in this thread?

This discussion could run and run, but I'd like to point out that it's much easier to advocate "intelligent admining" than to actually do it.

Upvote 0
I think that's partly true.

The other side of it may be that some server owners simply like to have rules for the sake of having rules. I either get the comment ''Because that's the server rules. If you don't like it don't play here.'' or ''Because there is a younger audience that play this game so keep a nice language.''. That's the response I get when I question most rules and restrictions people have.

Because I don't think people would go crazy just because there was no rules for no swearing. As a matter of fact, I have personally never experienced problems with this on servers that doesn't have this particular rule. Because people mostly use common sense. Being warned because you say ''****, we lost the CAP agian!'' is not obvious in any sense, but being warned for telling someone to F-off or spamming the board becomes is quite obvious, not only in RO, but in all games and in real-life aswell.

Indeed.... the comment about having the rule on servers in order to prevent people from wasting game playing time by spamming swearing through the mic or typing makes no sense.

Just because they can't swear on the server, that doesn't mean it will stop people from complaining or using words that aren't swear words, yet still mean the same thing, thus spamming the same level of crap over the mic/text.

And even on servers I played on that basically say anything goes, and they have no issue with people swearing, I've hardly ever experienced anybody swearing to excess.... or swearing at all.

I just think some server admins lead a boring life running the servers because most follow the rules, so they make up trivial rules like this so they get a chance to use their ban hammer and feel important.

Reactions: TT33
Upvote 0
I think there's an obvious difference between mature things occurring on a game vs someone making it personal and bringing that obscenity to life. Calling people MFers, b***, so on just isn't constructive nor pleasing to hear.

Hearing it from the game itself doesn't have that same impact, because it's simulated and all for fun and the game isn't all that vulgar. Plus, I don't think it's always the person you're playing that you're offending, rather people who may be there to hear it. You don't know if someone's mother, kids, or wife is around who may find that language offensive.

If I'm with the guys, I don't watch my mouth and I'll let anything fly. When I'm in public I watch my language out of respect for others. When you're online playing a videogame, that's public.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This game is focused around the bloody, sad and agony-filled deaths of countless people. It's all about a very dark and terrible event in history.
If you think that using certain words should be prohibited, something's wrong with your mental health. You've gotta be completely bonkers to be offended by a few words in a game so full of killing.
I mean, for fuck's sake, it's just a word or two.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This game is focused around the bloody, sad and agony-filled deaths of countless people. It's all about a very dark and terrible event in history.
If you think that using certain words should be prohibited, something's wrong with your mental health. You've gotta be completely bonkers to be offended by a few words in a game so full of killing.
I mean, for fuck's sake, it's just a word or two.

Have to agree with him.

I also think people are to easily offended now adays. Words shouldn't bother you just by being said. I'm not saying harassingpeople on a sever is ok though

Upvote 0