• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Custom map Butovo-b1

And this is what I'm talking about grass have to be rebuild.

[URL="http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614971580766928230/36D7E4732E896915820F11A4067F64E236C87CD7/"][url]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614971580766928230/36D7E4732E896915820F11A4067F64E236C87CD7/[/URL][/URL]

With grass like this is very hard to see enemy, if you change Foliage Quality to LOW then you can't see any grass, but you will see enemy at any range!

Grass must be the same for all players!

We had this argument 5 years ago. Search the Red Orcehstra Ostfront forum.

Upvote 0
I must say, both of these maps are great!

Where did you guys learn how to make maps? Would you be willing to take a rookie under your wing?

You don't have to wait for the RO2 SDK. The version used for RO uses most of the same principles, so if you learn it, you'll be able to hit the ground running when the new SDK is released sometime in 2012.

Get the RO SDK, which you can still download free if you have RO -- look in Steam --> Tools and scroll down the list til you see Red Orchestra SDK Beta. (If you don't have the original Red Orchestra, go ahead and spend the 4.99, it is well worth it).

Open the maps in RO and look how they're built. Open one, save it as PompMap.rom and mess around with it. Have fun. You cannot break it, so take risks (but save backups often!).

Study the RO modding forums at [URL]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14[/URL]
Nearly every question that will occur to you has already been asked and answered there.

Get this .pdf that will tell you everything you need to know to get started and walk you through the process of making your first simple maps. [URL]http://www.redorchestragame.com/downloads/manuals/RedOrchestraSDKManual.pdf[/URL]

If you do somehow manage to screw up your game or SDK files, there's a simple fix --

In your Steam games list

1. Open the Properties window for the game
2. Hit the Local Files tab, click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE

After this the game should be ready to play and you can go back to messing around with your map.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goten and pomp
Upvote 0
You don't have to wait for the RO2 SDK. The version used for RO uses most of the same principles, so if you learn it, you'll be able to hit the ground running when the new SDK is released sometime in 2012.

Get the RO SDK, which you can still download free if you have RO -- look in Steam --> Tools and scroll down the list til you see Red Orchestra SDK Beta. (If you don't have the original Red Orchestra, go ahead and spend the 4.99, it is well worth it).

Open the maps in RO and look how they're built. Open one, save it as PompMap.rom and mess around with it. Have fun. You cannot break it, so take risks (but save backups often!).

Study the RO modding forums at [URL]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14[/URL]
Nearly every question that will occur to you has already been asked and answered there.

Get this .pdf that will tell you everything you need to know to get started and walk you through the process of making your first simple maps. [URL]http://www.redorchestragame.com/downloads/manuals/RedOrchestraSDKManual.pdf[/URL]

If you do somehow manage to screw up your game or SDK files, there's a simple fix --

In your Steam games list

1. Open the Properties window for the game
2. Hit the Local Files tab, click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE

After this the game should be ready to play and you can go back to messing around with your map.

WOW! I might just start this as I was always afraid and unaware of how simple it is to get the tools. Id love to mess around on spare time and do this!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
If im not mistaken, which I may very well be, but doesnt RO2 use a method that prevents an enemy rendering on your screen if your avatar cannot "see" them? For example, if an enemy soldier was behind a building from your point of view, your computer would physically not render him, unless a friendly has spotted them? So one could "hide" in the grass and not be seen regardless of grass detail.
If this is not the case, then there is a major rendering bug, because I have literally watched people render only feet from me because they shot and gave their position away. Also true with tanks, I could hear the tank even, but then out of no where it appears from thin air because the destroyed tank that it was hiding behind disapeared.

Upvote 0
If im not mistaken, which I may very well be, but doesnt RO2 use a method that prevents an enemy rendering on your screen if your avatar cannot "see" them? For example, if an enemy soldier was behind a building from your point of view, your computer would physically not render him, unless a friendly has spotted them? So one could "hide" in the grass and not be seen regardless of grass detail.

This could be easily tested -- recreate the screenshots posted above, but have a soldier hide in the grass and see if he renders at differnt settigns.

Upvote 0
If this is not the case, then there is a major rendering bug, because I have literally watched people render only feet from me because they shot and gave their position away. Also true with tanks, I could hear the tank even, but then out of no where it appears from thin air because the destroyed tank that it was hiding behind disapeared.

I think there may be something odd happening on your machine there - I've never seen that effect, and I see players rendered for quite some distance behind foliage :)

Upvote 0

I've never seen a tank suddenly appear from behind a dead tank, if their's been a tank behind a dead one i've always been able to see it and shoot at it before the dead one disappears. Looks like a graphics card problem to me, or you need to adjust your video settings. Or your playing on overstressed servers, which can't handle the number of players on them.
If you ever played Ostfront as a tanker then you will have seen the famous topless tanks, which was sometimes an indication of the server being stressed, and the clients weren't getting the info quick enough to render the complete tank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never seen a tank suddenly appear from behind a dead tank, if their's been a tank behind a dead one i've always been able to see it and shoot at it before the dead one disappears. Looks like a graphics card problem to me, or you need to adjust your video settings. Or your playing on overstressed servers, which can't handle the number of players on them.
If you ever played Ostfront as a tanker then you will have seen the famous topless tanks, which was sometimes an indication of the server being stressed, and the clients weren't getting the info quick enough to render the complete tank.

it a old bug german tanks
disappear and reappear all the time
for some reason it seems only to happen with german tanks and INF To it not just custom maps
on the Ro2 maps they had the same bug were german tank appeared and disappeared all the time

Upvote 0