• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Switching Weapons While Reloading

Nordom

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2011
Something that really bothers me is when, as a Sharpshooter, (though I'm sure it applies to other Perks as well), I'm in a period of relaxation, shooting my pistols, and then suddenly I'm pressed and I have barely any ammo in my pistols left. Firing what's left of my pistols, I...am now reloading for the next five seconds because I clicked one too many times, even though I never actually hit R to reload. Oh look, I'm dead...because my guy would not stop reloading his dual .44s and switch to another weapon. Awesome. Thanks.

How about being able to switch to another weapon mid-reload, (obviously leaving the weapons unreloaded when you switch back)? Additionally, if you feel like there should be a repercussion to having to switch weapons while reloading, why not simulate dropping the clip you were going to reload with by removing a clip of that weapon?

Knowing when your ammo is low and being aware of when it will put you in danger to reload is part of the skill required to do well in the game, we don't need one of the few games left that haven't been dumbed down to be watered down and skill removed from the game. (except for that poor excuse of a gun game server, putting a crosshair in when there never was a crosshair, worst idea)

Upvote 0
Knowing when your ammo is low and being aware of when it will put you in danger to reload is part of the skill required to do well in the game, we don't need one of the few games left that haven't been dumbed down to be watered down and skill removed from the game. (except for that poor excuse of a gun game server, putting a crosshair in when there never was a crosshair, worst idea)

It's not dumbing down at all, it is common sense to switch to another weapon if you are being attacked while reloading. If my AK is empty, I'm dropping it and going for a handgun if something happens while I am reloading, that is even taught in real firearms training courses. If it is on a sling, you don't lose the weapon, either.

I've played a lot of shooters in my gaming career, and I think this is the only one with a noninterruptible reload. It is annoying and immersion breaking. I see it as more of a glitch or oversight than intentional.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i can cope with the you're reloading you gun switching is hard now.

i can however not cope with the you're now reloading you none existend m203 44mm shell(fired the alst one) and cannot switch weapon.

but on the other hand if you pick-up an ammo box you can directly fire the pre loaded... none existend shell :p

Upvote 0
It's not dumbing down at all, it is common sense to switch to another weapon if you are being attacked while reloading. If my AK is empty, I'm dropping it and going for a handgun if something happens while I am reloading, that is even taught in real firearms training courses. If it is on a sling, you don't lose the weapon, either.

I've played a lot of shooters in my gaming career, and I think this is the only one with a noninterruptible reload. It is annoying and immersion breaking. I see it as more of a glitch or oversight than intentional.

Real men go "Well, I'm boned." and just take the candy-cane to the face while being taunted about cholesterol. I however backpedal like crazy screaming like a girl for someone to save me from a living cookie. But the always-on auto-reload is a bit annoying.

I'd say "at least Call of Duty lets you interrupt your reload" but then everyone would jump all over my sh*t and this post would be 0/50 for rep.

Reactions: GeneralLeo1994
Upvote 0
I say pay attention to what you're doing. That being said, I'm for it if interrupting the reload meant losing the ammo being held to reload. For example, if a player was reloading a bullpup. When interrupting the reload, the player has to drop that magazine of ammo. The reasoning is he has to drop that ammo to immediately free his hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This has been discussed forever and TWI has always completely ignored the giant purple elephant in the room. Sadly I don't think it'll ever be fixed and we'll just have to deal with it.

To that end, it might just be my imagination but whenever my mag empties I notice a slight pause where nothing is fired yet the reloading doesn't begin. Your best bet is to simply try to sense a pause after your mag empties and switch then.

Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
I say pay attention to what you're doing. That being said, I'm for it if interrupting the reload meant losing the ammo being held to reload. For example, if a player was reloading a bullpup. When interrupting the reload, the player has to drop that magazine of ammo. The reasoning is he has to drop that ammo to immediately free his hand.

Or, y'know, you could just not take out the magazine in the first place. The lack of an interruptible reload wouldn't be nearly the issue it is now if your character didn't have the suicidal compulsion to reload under fire.

Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
Or, y'know, you could just not take out the magazine in the first place. The lack of an interruptible reload wouldn't be nearly the issue it is now if your character didn't have the suicidal compulsion to reload under fire.

I'm for that. I'm for making people load their weapons when they enter the game and after purchasing new weapons from the trader. But I think the vast majority of people prefer the convenience of the auto-reload.

However, people want to be able to interrupt a manual reload as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
personally i made my modified 44 magnum (scoped 460 s&w) so that if there are bullets still in the cylinder, the reload can be interrupted, but if reloading from an empty gun, it will reload no matter what.
i incorporated this because i made the reload slightly slower than original 44mag, unless you are using the "Sniper" perk (modified sharpshooter perk that only bonuses my scoped deagle, scoped 460, and scoped/suppressed m14 socom rifle).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I definitely think making autoreload toggleable is a good idea, and one just about everyone seems to agree with.

However, while nutterbutter's suggestion for losing the magazine you use to reload with is interesting, what I think would work better is to have the gun's current ammo count set to 0 as soon as the magazine is ejected, and the difference added to your ammo total. You could still cancel the reload by switching to another weapon, but you'd be left with a gun with no bullets in it, and you couldn't cancel out of the reload by firing like a shotgun can now.

Upvote 0