• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The L.A.W. is slightly too heavy

I think LAW is fine the way it is. Decreasing by one block would be pointless too, therer barely any difference to knife and machete as long as you go for the head, except maybe against a husk but I havent tried it.

And decreasing by more than 1 block would make demo too powerful.

Just leave it alone.

On harder difficulties knife head shots don't mean much.

Does the Machete's x3 dps vs knife mean anything?

http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/Weapon_damage_table

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why you think a LAW + 44 Revolver would be OP.

You can already M 79, M 32, 44 Revolver. Decreasing the weight of the LAW is just what it needs.

The addition of the M4 with Grenade Launcher makes the LAW even less attractive when you can have an M4 GL AND and M 32 but with the LAW its still just Law + Pipes or machete.

1 less weight block is all it needs. As is, its hardly ever used and that's a shame because it's good fun.

Upvote 0
My point from pretty much the start...most people CAN'T use it so they want to make it better so they CAN use it. Enough said :)

You keep saying that but aren't giving a good reason WHY you think the LAW (taking into consideration the massive extra weight) is just as good as the M32 or even better (as it perhaps should be given its price tag).

The M 32 deals more total damage for less dosh. It is easier to fire while mobile and can have a faster DPS. It's light enough to allow for a huge vareity of loadouts such as:
M 32 + M4w/grenade launcher + Pipes or machete
M 32 + M 79 + 44 Magnum + Pipes or machete
M 32 + M 79 + MP5M
The list goes on.

The LAW has higher potential to stun large enemies and creates less smoke. It costs more and weights so much it restricts you to 2 loadouts:
LAW + Pipes or Machete

"not being able to use a 9mm" has nothing to do with it. The balance of the LAW needs to be re-thought and reducing the weight by 1 block would both make it a more interesting weapon AND make realistic sense.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
You keep saying that but aren't giving a good reason WHY you think the LAW (taking into consideration the massive extra weight) is just as good as the M32 or even better (as it perhaps should be given its price tag).

The M 32 deals more total damage for less dosh. It is easier to fire while mobile and can have a faster DPS. It's light enough to allow for a huge vareity of loadouts such as:
M 32 + M4w/grenade launcher + Pipes or machete
M 32 + M 79 + 44 Magnum + Pipes or machete
M 32 + M 79 + MP5M
The list goes on.

The LAW has higher potential to stun large enemies and creates less smoke. It costs more and weights so much it restricts you to 2 loadouts:
LAW + Pipes or Machete

"not being able to use a 9mm" has nothing to do with it. The balance of the LAW needs to be re-thought and reducing the weight by 1 block would both make it a more interesting weapon AND make realistic sense.
I thought I explained my reasons previously so if I haven't then I apologise.

The LAW has the biggest area of effect by miles compared to any grenade launcher which makes this baby has such a huge damage output. This is what I mean by "if people can't use it they want it changed cause they need extra to help them". The weapon is made for huge groups of trash or the extreme moments for the large specimens. A great way of using the LAW is by throwing grenades and using the LAW to make a MUCH bigger damage output. Once again back to my point of people not knowing how to use the LAW to it's best.

As now he magnum has been brang into the show I will backup my reasons even more by saying having that extra weapon is making the LAW part of the perk way too powerful. Having the close combat sorted then the defects of the LAW being counteracted which will ruin the perk in my eyes cause every advantage NEEDS a disadvantage to keep things balanced.

Upvote 0
I thought I explained my reasons previously so if I haven't then I apologise.

The LAW has the biggest area of effect by miles compared to any grenade launcher which makes this baby has such a huge damage output. This is what I mean by "if people can't use it they want it changed cause they need extra to help them". The weapon is made for huge groups of trash or the extreme moments for the large specimens. A great way of using the LAW is by throwing grenades and using the LAW to make a MUCH bigger damage output. Once again back to my point of people not knowing how to use the LAW to it's best.

As now he magnum has been brang into the show I will backup my reasons even more by saying having that extra weapon is making the LAW part of the perk way too powerful. Having the close combat sorted then the defects of the LAW being counteracted which will ruin the perk in my eyes cause every advantage NEEDS a disadvantage to keep things balanced.

You make a good point. The LAW has a great radius and I failed to mention that. But even if the LAW weighed 12 instead of 13, an M 32 + M 79 would still weight less. A level 6 demo gets 22 LAW rockets, but M32 comes with 36 Grenades + 24 M79 Grenades.
In many situations it is better to spread your damage out across many enemies which is exactly what the GLs do. You get x3 ammo at 1/3 the cost of LAW rockets. If you want to deal your damage in big chunks then the LAW is the way to go. But currently, M 32 + M 79 allows you to also carry a 44 Magnum AND pipes but we all know that isn't OP so why is LAW + 44 Magnum OP? If anything it evens the LAW out a bit.

Please note we are also talking about Level 6 demos. Without that perk and the added rocket ammo, the LAW is even MORE underpowered vs. the grenade launchers.

p.s. Im also in favor of increasing the M4 w/GL weight from 6 to 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Or. Just don't be stubborn, and use the M32 and M4 w/M203.

This has nothing to do with me being stubborn. Way to bungle up someone's intent. And no realistic lvl6 demo would waste money on the uber-expensive M4 203. That money would be better spent on pipes than a rifle with only 12 grenades, not to mention the grenade sharing glitch currently abound.

Upvote 0
You make a good point. The LAW has a great radius and I failed to mention that. But even if the LAW weighed 12 instead of 13, an M 32 + M 79 would still weight less. A level 6 demo gets 22 LAW rockets, but M32 comes with 36 Grenades + 24 M79 Grenades.
In many situations it is better to spread your damage out across many enemies which is exactly what the GLs do. You get x3 ammo at 1/3 the cost of LAW rockets. If you want to deal your damage in big chunks then the LAW is the way to go. But currently, M 32 + M 79 allows you to also carry a 44 Magnum AND pipes but we all know that isn't OP so why is LAW + 44 Magnum OP? If anything it evens the LAW out a bit.

Please note we are also talking about Level 6 demos. Without that perk and the added rocket ammo, the LAW is even MORE underpowered vs. the grenade launchers.

p.s. Im also in favor of increasing the M4 w/GL weight from 6 to 7.

random person here may i remind you people that the law is no good in close quarters combat a law+44mag combo would be pretty even. anyways if you try to use the law on a enemy thats too close you just end up blowing your self up thats were the 44mag comes in to fend of against the zeds that are near you. personally i dont think a law+44mag combo would be oped.

Upvote 0
This has nothing to do with me being stubborn. Way to bungle up someone's intent. And no realistic lvl6 demo would waste money on the uber-expensive M4 203. That money would be better spent on pipes than a rifle with only 12 grenades, not to mention the grenade sharing glitch currently abound.

I will have to disagree. Weight is important. The M4 203 is 6 blocks and its a rifle AND 12 extra grenades. That's pretty sweet.

I would agree that the M 4 203 is a bit pricy. I'd recommend increasing the weight by 1 block and pricing it at 3000 down from 3500.

Upvote 0
A quick recap on what I would adjust for balance across all difficulties and a touch of realism:

Increase weight of AK47 by 1 block.
Increase Price of M 4 to 1200 (up +200)
Decrease weight of LAW by 1 block.
Increase weight of M 4 203 by 1 block.
Decrease price of M 4 203 to 3000 (down -500)
Decrease weight of 2nd pistol by 1 block.
Increase damage and range of Chainsaw by 10%

Replace the automatic "1 block weight" by making Body Armor weight 1 block. This gives players freedom to choose different loadouts at the cost of body armor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salad Snake
Upvote 0
A quick recap on what I would adjust for balance across all difficulties and a touch of realism:

Increase weight of AK47 by 1 block.
Increase Price of M 4 to 1200 (up +200)
Decrease weight of LAW by 1 block.
Increase weight of M 4 203 by 1 block.
Decrease price of M 4 203 to 3000 (down -500)
Decrease weight of 2nd 9mm pistol by 1 block.
Replace the automatic "1 block weight" by making Body Armor weight 1 block. This gives players freedom to choose different loadouts at the cost of body armor.

LOVE the body Body Armour idea. THAT is a good one. That would enable some interesting play for Sharps. WOO!

Upvote 0
I will have to disagree. Weight is important. The M4 203 is 6 blocks and its a rifle AND 12 extra grenades. That's pretty sweet.

I would agree that the M 4 203 is a bit pricy. I'd recommend increasing the weight by 1 block and pricing it at 3000 down from 3500.

Weight isn't an issue to me as much as it being a seriously overpriced weapon that tops the LAW (which I still believe should be reduced 1 weight block). But adding 1 weight block to the M4 203 and decreasing it's price to $3000 or lower would make the M4 203 a much better weapon to use. (Though it isn't the job of the demolitions to spray and pray like a commando, and thus none of the perks that the commandos get with ARs don't apply to the demo.)

There is also something wrong with your assumptions. The grenades that everyone carries weighs 1 weight block, not the body armor. Combat knife, M9 Beretta pistol, and body armor all weight 0 weight blocks. (4 weight blocks if dual-wielding pistols.)

@Mr_Clean187: M79/M32 combo is the most effective combo + a sidearm. What I and many others are suggesting here is to make the LAW a more effective weapon by decreasing it's weight by 1 block that will allow a demo to carry a reliable sidearm, the .44 Magnum. Forget about damage buffs or the you-must-scope-to-fire; people would be happier if the LAW just changed weight by 1 block.

Upvote 0
There is also something wrong with your assumptions. The grenades that everyone carries weighs 1 weight block, not the body armor. Combat knife, M9 Beretta pistol, and body armor all weight 0 weight blocks. (4 weight blocks if dual-wielding pistols.)

Why even bother with the grenade weight block. Its just confusing because you always have grenades. It's redundant.
Making it the body armor that weights 1 would make things more dynamic and open up lots of choices for loadouts, all at the risk of having no body armor.

:)

Upvote 0
Why even bother with the grenade weight block. Its just confusing because you always have grenades. It's redundant.
Making it the body armor that weights 1 would make things more dynamic and open up lots of choices for loadouts, all at the risk of having no body armor.

:)

Honestly speaking, I'd rather have everything that you can carry inherently be weight-free (pistol, knife, armor, grenades). Having that 1 extra block can do wonders for loadouts.

Upvote 0
I think LAW is fine the way it is. Decreasing by one block would be pointless too, therer barely any difference to knife and machete as long as you go for the head, except maybe against a husk but I havent tried it.

And decreasing by more than 1 block would make demo too powerful.

Just leave it alone.
Actually I find the machete is extremely useful for a LAW Demo after the knife nerf.

Ok, now after the update further decreasing LAW weight even by one block is out of the question. That would allow carrying .44 along and this is just too overpowered.

Actually, I think that'd be just right. If there were a poll I'd vote for the LAW getting a one (emphasis on one) block reduction. After all, that's what the two-block weapon is for, adding a little extra strength to high-weight loadouts.

This deserves a separate thread. Excellent idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the change was made to have everything inherently weight free then there would be no need to change the weapon weights as there would be an extra slot, prices would still need to be adjusted. The body armour idea is a great one and would allow a LAW carrier to choose between armour+LAW+pipes/machete or LAW+pipes+machete and effectively fixes that argument with the law..

Upvote 0