• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Audio levels and Suppression

GRIZZLY

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
1) Let me start off by saying - all the sounds are fantastic. Top notch job on them. However, I think the levels in general are a bit off. In Ro1 I adjusted my levels so that effects were very high and the music was off. I'm a musician and I think Ro2's soundtrack is fantastic. However, to me, the cacophony of battle is music in of itself.

I guess I'd just like to suggest an option to completely disable music. Also, gun shots should be raised (especially bolt actions, I miss the boom they had in the previous game) and artillery should be deafening. Shouting and death cries should be lowest priority. They should sound drowned out in a combat zone.

2) Suppression.... Suppression suppression suppression....

I'm surprised at how little I've seen about it on here. I do enjoy the system immensely... But can you please make it regenerate instead of requiring you to take cover even when combat has ceased?

Red Orchestra 2 - Online gameplay - YouTube

Go to 1:40.... While this guy IS an idiot for not going into cover while he was upstairs, I don't really see why it's necessary that he should have to do that. I don't even know why he got suppressed in the first place. Suppression should only occur when bullets are flying past you and it should regenerate when that stops happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: barakas
The sounds of RO 2 are awesome. I even love the music of the game. Usually, the music is the first thing I switch off in any game, because it's repeating. I am doing the same for RO 2 occassionally, but I love it.

However, many sounds are not loud enough. Often, I am under fire, but don't hear the bullets that are passing my head, or hitting the wall right next to me. This doesn't seem right to me. Artillery should make players def. Not artificially make you loose the noise, but it should be LOUD!!!
Footsteps are hard to hear many times as well, even when e.g. in Town Hall of Spartanovka, with no enemy and artillery near, you hardly hear your mate running behind you. It's wooden floor and should be noticeable.
Tanks are also not noisy enough.

While the sounds are actually outstanding in this game, it's a pitty they are not louder so that you can fully enjoy them. Sounds are very important to the atmosphere.

I often feel that the current sound system is like listening to a Techno song on very silent level. That makes no sense:D

Upvote 0
the footsteps bug me the most. you don't have to sneak up on the enemy, he won't hear you coming anyway. just run in and shoot him! that's not right. i used to love sneaking up on guys in ostfront and taking them out. or patiently waiting for the guy i knew was hunting me in a house and hearing him coming. it made for great tension filled moments!

Upvote 0
The levels seem fine to me, other than at times hearing/not hearing things at odd distances.

I say this not because the guns are super loud, but because everything is consistently loud, weapon wise. We'd all be deaf as a post (speaking in-game) given all the indoors shooting we're doing. Personally, I'm fine with understanding 'hey, this crap is a hell of a lot louder than we're making it in game' and keeping what remains of my hearing. (as I was born hearing impaired, I have a different view of the appropriate volume of entertainment than most of my friends :))

I do agree about the music option though. Personally I love it, but if someone wants to turn it off they should be able to turn it completely off, tide-change music included.

Upvote 0
Sorry to raise the thread from the dead, but these two things are still really bugging me and I think should be considered for change by TWI.

Audio wise I'm hoping for louder gunshots and explosions as opposed to footsteps/voices/whatever... It doesn't take that much to kill frequencies in the human ear.

Suppression wise - I'd really like a return to the way it was in Darkest Hour. Go to 1:40 in the video in the original post. As it is now it acts a status effect ala poison in Final Fantasy. In DH it was just an immediate flinch reaction. This served the purpose of making it very difficult to return fire, but beyond keeping my head down it didn't really affect me. I just really hate having my screen all desaturated and black and white 20 seconds after a firefight.

Upvote 0
Suppression wise - I'd really like a return to the way it was in Darkest Hour. Go to 1:40 in the video in the original post. As it is now it acts a status effect ala poison in Final Fantasy. In DH it was just an immediate flinch reaction. This served the purpose of making it very difficult to return fire, but beyond keeping my head down it didn't really affect me. I just really hate having my screen all desaturated and black and white 20 seconds after a firefight.

Or when it gets bugged and you're stuck in suppressed mode until you take more suppression and it "unsticks". Sometimes I just huck a grenade near me to reset the supression meter and fix the bug.

I really do miss the loud bullet cracks and suppression in DH. It worked out to much better firefights. Half the time in RO you don't even know you're being shot at.

Upvote 0