• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Smoke grenade for AT-troops

sampsa

Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006
Reserve
Today, I found a rare server that still has vehicles enabled in game. Result was amazing combined arms maps where I played engineer all the time. During my duels with tanks I noticed that way too often I was battling a tank that wasn't blinded by smoke so I had to spent time maneuvering its flank / rear. In the meantime the tank kept spreading fear and despair into my teammates.

So should engineer class get smoke or not? Thoughts on this and speculation about effects on gameplay.

Reactions: GrimReality
Personally, whenever I'm playing as an engineer or AT class, I ALWAYS find myself in a situation where I need smoke nades. And rarely in those cases is there a SL or TL around who will cooperate and throw the smoke where I need it.

Maybe not give this to level 1 engineers, but say at level 25 or so, that'd be a nice reward for the hard work.

[shameless self promotion] Since you bring up how rare it is, our server plays a couple TE maps with tanks. :) [/shameless self promotion]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, really, it doesn't matter what class you're playing, everybody will always have a use for smoke grenades. They're potent and versatile.

Yes, but the point I was trying to make, as the anti-vehicle soldier, it can very often be impossible to complete your task without the smoke, whereas with a rifleman or assault class you can usually still fulfill your role without having that concealment. Sure it helps everybody, but some classes need it more than others.

Upvote 0
The tank itself isn't the only obstacle, it's the infantry between you an it and the snipers who hang back waiting for you to expose yourself.

Not sure what your experience fighting tanks has been like, Krobar, but in mine, the tankers tend to sit back either in the corners of the maps or in the most wide open spaces of the maps, and in each case they're protected from approach either by the boundaries of the map or by the no man's land that forms around them. Engineers can't make that death march on their own and AT soldiers usually don't do much good either even with their range as they either have to shoot at the front armor or get picked off while trying to flank around to get a shot at the side armor.

I'm all for a challenge, don't get me wrong, but futility is not fun. It's a small request, give engineers a can of smoke, not even the AT class, just the engineers. What's the harm in that?

Upvote 0
The only reason tanks hang back is that that AT rifles are OP and too easy to use. If the PTRD was primary compared to the PTRS and the damage worked properly tanks would be acting like tanks. Also the AT grenades are incorrect especial the German ones, they were magnetic charges designed to blow a hole in the tank with the explosive in the base of the device. The explosion is funneled downward unlike the Russian AT where it is HE like a stielgrenade.

Upvote 0
I try to play engineer almost exclusively when the maps allow it. But don't give us smoke grenades, its down to squad leaders and commanders to be smart enough to smoke tanks.

I just wish the tanks couldn't see me through walls. I think there is a delay on when they react, but they acquire you as a target before you see them. so then when you come round a corner BOOM

Upvote 0
I try to play engineer almost exclusively when the maps allow it. But don't give us smoke grenades, its down to squad leaders and commanders to be smart enough to smoke tanks.

I just wish the tanks couldn't see me through walls. I think there is a delay on when they react, but they acquire you as a target before you see them. so then when you come round a corner BOOM

Some solution suggestions:

1) With some Teamwork you don`t need any smoke greandes for Pioneers or other Tankhunter, because the SL and Commander will help you and do the job.

2) Without any Tank AI we don

Upvote 0