• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The use of gangster tactics worked quite well here.

Branden

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
So I organized a team of 5 people from my clan. We joined a server and played as Russians on the Commissar's house. We were in C (big house with a park and statue of Stalin behind it) and hid in the upper level where the Germans usually never go.

We waited until they captured the entire house and then went into the basement to take down the Germans. When we got down we saw about 10 that were going through the house to the next objective and killed them. Then we saw about 10 more running in and killed them. Then we ran back to the upper level and captured the objective, which pushed the Germans back to the water plant and we won.

No wonder why the German general hates gangster tactics.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/brandensworld/screenshot/631857288058866731?tab=public

Last edited:
By "gangster tactics" I suppose you mean "team play"?

By gangster tactics he means gangster tactics.

I was watching a Stalingrad doco where a commander was complaining in his letteers of losing so many men from Russians coming up out of basements, sewers behind what you would think are your relatively safe front lines.

This is what he is refering too... it is not so much organised team game play where someone might take point and you protect the Heavy MG and have specific roles.

It is literally just a mob of 10 guys with guns waiting for the best opportunistic moment to take out the enemy....like the ingame commentry..."i think Ivan are hiding"

They hide and then attack only when it suits them.... really more guerrilla tactics i suppose than Gangster tactics... but they probably very close to each other.

Upvote 0
By gangster tactics he means gangster tactics.

I was watching a Stalingrad doco where a commander was complaining in his letteers of losing so many men from Russians coming up out of basements, sewers behind what you would think are your relatively safe front lines.

This is what he is refering too... it is not so much organised team game play where someone might take point and you protect the Heavy MG and have specific roles.

It is literally just a mob of 10 guys with guns waiting for the best opportunistic moment to take out the enemy....like the ingame commentry..."i think Ivan are hiding"

They hide and then attack only when it suits them.... really more guerrilla tactics i suppose than Gangster tactics... but they probably very close to each other.

Sorry I just don't see the distinction. 10 players working in a coordinated fashion to kill the enemy sounds pretty much like teamplay to me. Or is teamplay supposed to be some benign version of this, where players don't "wait for the best opportunistic moment to take out the enemy"?

Upvote 0
Sorry I just don't see the distinction. 10 players working in a coordinated fashion to kill the enemy sounds pretty much like teamplay to me. Or is teamplay supposed to be some benign version of this, where players don't "wait for the best opportunistic moment to take out the enemy"?

People just have negative associations with the word "gangster" and with good reason. A gang is much like a type of guerrilla army, with teamwork, tactics and a chain of command. Both in gangwars as in real wars people aim to kill eachother. So it's not weird that both types of groups share similarities and differences in the ways that they consider to be the most effective.

Reactions: GeneralGinger
Upvote 0
If thats gangster tactics then it was used by armies weeellll before gang bangers were popping caps.
Generally its call hit and fade or skirmish\raid\ambush\urban warfare\resistance tactics.

I did not even know gangsters had an official hide and wait until the enemy passes before attacking from the basement tactic. But if they do then it would be called "AMBUSH".
When I think of gangs I think of a bunch of "dumb $#$@s" who have been given no training then guns who are only very small (a small band) and local. As far as I remember a gang is a small group of men 20-50 I suppose. Who are put together for a purpose or duty by the navy. "gang way" comes to mind. This has been turned as a meaning to the modern small local boys who form groups to protect their neighborhood and get infiltrated by the opposite of the law.
In reality a lot of people consider the word gangs meaning to mean super sophisticated drug crime organisation that is more like an evil corporation spanning countries and having the power of a countries army. Think Mexico or that part of Italy near the docks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
th_340x.jpg

Being a Soviet Gangsta is ma thing.

Reactions: Proud_God
Upvote 0
I'm quite sure the OP only used the term gangster tactics here because there is an ingame quote of germans saying something like: "those damn russians using gangster tactics" or something around those lines.

I'm using the native voice version and have since then never heard any german saying something like this. The only thing that might get close to it is translated into english: "Damn, This is not how you fight ; you cowards"

So I guess Gangstertactics refers to cowardly attacks without honour or something around those lines.

Upvote 0
I'm quite sure the OP only used the term gangster tactics here because there is an ingame quote of germans saying something like: "those damn russians using gangster tactics" or something around those lines.

I'm using the native voice version and have since then never heard any german saying something like this. The only thing that might get close to it is translated into english: "Damn, This is not how you fight ; you cowards"

So I guess Gangstertactics refers to cowardly attacks without honour or something around those lines.

I see. It is not a sound bit I have heard yet. But I am still hearing new and sometimes very cool lines rather often, so I don't doubt it will turn up soon. The latest new sentence I hadn't heard before was "I will give my last vodka to the one who turns up with the most German dog tags". I did laugh when I heard that, and that's what it is all about. I haven't heard it since. It seems some lines trigger more often than others.

Upvote 0
I see. It is not a sound bit I have heard yet. But I am still hearing new and sometimes very cool lines rather often, so I don't doubt it will turn up soon. The latest new sentence I hadn't heard before was "I will give my last vodka to the one who turns up with the most German dog tags". I did laugh when I heard that, and that's what it is all about. I haven't heard it since. It seems some lines trigger more often than others.

Its great that the game keeps giving over time. Most people assume their jollies are over in the first few games and move on.

Upvote 0