• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst map balancing I've seen in my life !

I remember in the beta there was almost always a majority wanting to play axis, and the allied teams would often be 3 or more players short. This is not the case anymore, often I even find more playing allies, especially on certain maps like Spartanovka and Grain Elevator. So obviously some kind of balancing has occurred, and with good effect.

Axis had the advantage in spart and grain in beta?
That must have been boring for the Axis.
Please don't tell me the 'balancing act' for grain was the intro of 'lockdown'

Upvote 0
Few months ago it was the opposite.... saying that Germans were winngin 90% of the matches and how it was unfair.

The devs do some patches and change things like asked and now people in the forum are saying Germs are not getting enough love.

You just cannot win on videogame forums if you are devs lol.

For me personally I play both teams about even, and think its pretty balance overall

PS: I loved quake 1 online

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a valid argument. This is after all a game, not a simulator. And in order to have just a semblance of good gameplay, some balance is needed, otherwise players will only play on one team.

I remember in the beta there was almost always a majority wanting to play axis, and the allied teams would often be 3 or more players short. This is not the case anymore, often I even find more playing allies, especially on certain maps like Spartanovka and Grain Elevator. So obviously some kind of balancing has occurred, and with good effect.

I mostly play Allies myself, not by choice but because there are usually more Axis players on a server already.

I will only add that there are more ways than the number of reinforcements to "balance" a map and leave it at that.

Upvote 0
What we need is MORE Avtomathics (Soviet Assault Troopers).
Having the same number of slots for Assaults on both teams is pants-on-head retarded. There where about 6 times more PPSh's in Stalingrad than MP40's.

for realism I would have to agree, although we will never get it due to the fact there would be a giant cow had by all the german only players. But it is historical fact that there were a lot more PPSH's in Stalingrad then represented in game. And this is also made almost fun of by the fact that theres little evidence to support the MKB was even in Stalingrad.

On thr German guns Vs. Russian guns, I seem to notice that german guns, bolt actions and semi rifles aside, seem to be much easier to use effectively, more like point and shoot guns Vs. the Dp-28 and PPSH-41 which require more skill...and burst fire. German guns seem to have much more control the MKB and MP-40 are laser weapons, and with more stopping power (at least in the mp-40's case..the MKB has not Russian counterpart).

Tanks are Woeful. I think it's a Hitbox and armor issue. Good shots from a german who has any idea what hes doing almost always cause damage and often kill somebody in the tank. Not once have I killed more than 2 panzer crew members at a time, or damaged it's turret ring, or main gun. 90 degree shots oh the mantlet that should do damage seem to not often, and the ammo bunkers are very unforgiving, while the T-34 dies with explosions even when not hit in an ammo bunker and it's turret and crew stations can be made swiss cheese almost at will.Any map where the panzer 4 exists give the germans a giant advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
I remember in the beginning when the Germans were said to be overpowered...however that was in the very start where 90% of the russians were sitting back camping and waiting for a marksman spot to open... Players now know how to play the maps (many atleast not all).
And a map like Grain Elevator IS very unbalanced in favour of the russians.. the only ones that would disagree are the russian only players.. otherwise it should be rather clear to everyone.

Upvote 0
Uh-huh. At 10m he can't even get every round onto a 44 gallon drum that's a fair bit bigger than a human torso. And that's with the shoulder stock extended. The muzzle wobbles all over the place and at 100m he'd be missing with all but a couple of rounds.

In game I could shoot a hell of a lot better than that with the L1 MP40.

Was going to say exactly this.

Upvote 0
Uh-huh. At 10m he can't even get every round onto a 44 gallon drum that's a fair bit bigger than a human torso. And that's with the shoulder stock extended. The muzzle wobbles all over the place and at 100m he'd be missing with all but a couple of rounds.

In game I could shoot a hell of a lot better than that with the L1 MP40.

I have the impression he is actually just deliberately moving the gun back and forth in order to hit as much of the barrel as possible, and that he is not trying to aim at the same place.

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
I've all but given up on trying to stay sane after playing grain or station now.

From now on, unless I'm really confident in my team, I'm just going to switch servers every time those maps come up, because I'm tired of spawning and immediately being killed in-spawn.

It's especially prevalent on Station, where I've died in my own spawn from artillery or mg's/snipers than actually doing any combat.

Coupled with the fact the russians get a huge reinforcement advantage, it's not worth playing anymore.

Russians *****ed for weeks about the 'terrible' commissarhouse, well, now they fixed it, and in return gave the russians huge advantages for their defense maps.

Upvote 0
I've all but given up on trying to stay sane after playing grain or station now.

From now on, unless I'm really confident in my team, I'm just going to switch servers every time those maps come up, because I'm tired of spawning and immediately being killed in-spawn.

It's especially prevalent on Station, where I've died in my own spawn from artillery or mg's/snipers than actually doing any combat.

Coupled with the fact the russians get a huge reinforcement advantage, it's not worth playing anymore.

Russians *****ed for weeks about the 'terrible' commissarhouse, well, now they fixed it, and in return gave the russians huge advantages for their defense maps.
I know right? Just spawning is an act of frustration in half of RO2's levels. I also dread it when Grain Elevator and Station come up if I'm on German ... I just know I'm about to rage quit in roughly 5 minutes due to rampant spawn killing. Artillery spawn killing is also a huge problem for both sides on Station -- it happens to me nearly ever time I play. Spawn. ARTY ROUND-TO-THE-FACE. Spawn. SNIPED! Spawn. ARTY ROUND-TO-THE-FACE. Spawn. Run out of spawn like a madman, almost to the cap ... SNIPED! etc etc etc.

Upvote 0
Spawn. ARTY ROUND-TO-THE-FACE. Spawn. SNIPED! Spawn. ARTY ROUND-TO-THE-FACE. Spawn. Run out of spawn like a madman, almost to the cap ... SNIPED! etc etc etc.

Sounds a lot like actual WWII :p

I agree that something should be done for better spawn point protection, so you at least have a chance to figure out where you are and which direction to go before dying, but getting shot before reaching the cap point is really part of what drives home the realism in this game.

War really sucks, and THAT war on THAT front sucked particularly bad.

Back to spawn point protection. Something needs to be done. Good servers have a "no artillery on spawn sites" rule that is enforced. Maybe this could be built into the game, preventing artillery from being called on top of spawn sites?

Whatever is done, the current "Protected Area" thing needs to be reassessed. I can't tell you how many times I have been burned by that, without intentionally trying to camp the enemy's spawn.

Example:
I made it to site A on Red October factory as a German to defend against the Russian Attack. After a tough defense positions are overrun. I am detected and engage the stragglers that don't immediately continue to the next cap zone in a tough and surprisingly lengthy gun battle. I kill two Russians and survive. Now I'm alone in A. Russians advance quickly, and I attempt to follow from behind to get to the next cap zone, but before I can, the cap zone turns into a protected area, and before I get out I die. Not from enemy bullets, but from protected zone magic death. It's infuriating.

I know it would be rather unrealistic, but what if instead characters were immune to bullets and couldn't shoot for the first 5 seconds after spawn. Then you'd have enough time to orient yourself and seek cover.

Upvote 0
From my experience the most important are the people in teams - once on the Apartments we had excellent sharpshooter teams in the upper windows which decimated any German trying to shoot our advancing troops. With poor people you will always loose and with good team you will win and no balance will help there.

My stats says - and I play as Soviet far more often than Axis - that ratio is... 1:1 when my favourite team is the Allies. I was suprised, because my overall feeling was that the Soviets are losing more often than the Axis players. If anything these numbers suggest to me that balancing is quite well placed as for now.

Goten said:
1. Around 20% more reinforcements for the Allies on Station !
Maybe they added additional reinforcements for the Soviets, because their overall position after capturing first objectives is less protected? Germans can place their MGs and marksmen on the bridge overlooking railway to shoot down people trying to defend anything that is not inside the buildings. When I play on this map there are very few "safe" places between spawns and the objectives. And even these places are under constant risk to be attacked by the enemy trying to suprise the defenders.

Goten said:
2. More reinforcements for Allies on Grain Elevator !
I have an idea. When Soviets were supposed to defend the ground floor of the Grain Elevator many strategos just ran out trying to take back point B. In the end the Allies were out of ticket just a few seconds before the lockdown. Maybe they want to encourage the Germans to attack the ground floor to cut off the Soviets from their superior number of tickets instead of waiting for the defenders trying and take back B and killing their reinforcements that way?

To be honest I haven't seen specific team dominating the game the whole time, even with these changes.

Upvote 0
Maybe they added additional reinforcements for the Soviets, because their overall position after capturing first objectives is less protected? Germans can place their MGs and marksmen on the bridge overlooking railway to shoot down people trying to defend anything that is not inside the buildings. When I play on this map there are very few "safe" places between spawns and the objectives. And even these places are under constant risk to be attacked by the enemy trying to suprise the defenders.

I have an idea. When Soviets were supposed to defend the ground floor of the Grain Elevator many strategos just ran out trying to take back point B. In the end the Allies were out of ticket just a few seconds before the lockdown. Maybe they want to encourage the Germans to attack the ground floor to cut off the Soviets from their superior number of tickets instead of waiting for the defenders trying and take back B and killing their reinforcements that way?

To be honest I haven't seen specific team dominating the game the whole time, even with these changes.

Someone on-topic after 2 pages ... thank you ! (I mean it)

On Station:
That reason could be used by any team on every map: team X gets point Y, they set up MGs and Sniper and start shooting at team Z.
I can say that in Commissars: russians get A (just by running of course), they setup MGs and Sniper positions in A and start shooting germans.

So what ?! What they were supposed to do ? To not setup those position in a point they captured ?

On Grain Elevator:
Again, my opinion is that the hardest map for Axis was "balanced" by giving russians more reinforcements and other spawn point.
You can say anything, that's just stupid map balancing for me.
If they want me to attack in some particular manner they just had to change the "Protected Area" or some spawn points (which is actually the problem with this map).

On a personal note (I'm sure everybody wants to know) after 400+ hours and numerous performance problems, bugs, unwanted/bad features the things that succeded in preventing me from playing are these latest "balancing" decissions.

I just can't play a bad balanced and a biased game. I know the crap about "war is not balanced" but for me this is a game and if it's one-sided it's not fun.

Again (because it's too beautifull to not repet it):

On maps where Axis attack:
TE-Grain Elevator - attackers have less reinforcements
TE-Spartanovka - attackers have the same number of reinforcements
TE-Station - attackers have less reinforcements

On maps where Allies attack:
TE-Apartments - attackers have more reinforcements
TE-Red October - attackers have the more number of reinforcements
TE-Commissars - attackers have more reinforcements

Upvote 0
Goten said:
So what ?! What they were supposed to do ? To not setup those position in a point they captured ?
I am just trying to figure out why the Allies have so much tickets on this specific map. How the game usually plays? The Germans fight for the last point (even if sometimes they are very close), but fail due to lack of reinforcements. Solution? Lower tickets for the Allies to even the match. In my opinion the number of tickets should be enough for both sides to provide even games.

Goten said:
You can say anything, that's just stupid map balancing for me. If they want me to attack in some particular manner they just had to change the "Protected Area" or some spawn points (which is actually the problem with this map).
It is easier to add/reduce tickets than make everyone to redownload a map. I have to agree that the German spawn point - from what I remember - is way too far from anything else than the first objective. However, I played a match on the Grain Elevator and in one of the rounds they took the objective C while having 20 reinforcements on their side. We defended 4th floor to the last man and they ran out of tickets and won with just a couple of guys remaining. That was epic and very close game and I would love to see more such rounds. Before patch the Axis won usually by capturing C, with no ressistance on any of the floors.

Goten said:
I just can't play a bad balanced and a biased game. I know the crap about "war is not balanced" but for me this is a game and if it's one-sided it's not fun.
I agree. Things should be set in a way to create fierce, close rounds. I don't really want to win or lose. I want exhilarating matches between two sides.

Reactions: Golf33
Upvote 0