• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Allow zoom when moving

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
Currently, you can only zoom when standing still. So, when running or sprinting, you can not have a good (zoomed) look at your surroundings, without first coming to a complete halt. This limitiation is unnecessary. My simple proposal is to always allow zoom. Obviously, this suggestion only applies when using separate buttons for sprint and zoom (which is an existing option in case you did not know).

Last edited:
I agree with this idea BUT:

It would be a total disaster to implement it into RO2 in the current state with the current weaponhandling and game mechancis..just imagine yourself being a sniper, someone sprint out from a corner, make a dead stop and hit the ground, quickaim and zoom at the same time and blast you dead in one sec. However, adding this in the red orchestra mod for ro2 along with all other ideas to increase the realism and the tactical gameplay would be great.

I think one the reasons why this feature is used in arma is in order for people to measure the distance much easier.

Upvote 0
I agree with this idea BUT:

It would be a total disaster to implement it into RO2 in the current state with the current weaponhandling and game mechancis..just imagine yourself being a sniper, someone sprint out from a corner, make a dead stop and hit the ground, quickaim and zoom at the same time and blast you dead in one sec. However, adding this in the red orchestra mod for ro2 along with all other ideas to increase the realism and the tactical gameplay would be great.

I think one the reasons why this feature is used in arma is in order for people to measure the distance much easier.

I'm not sure I follow you there. With the current system, you can already do what you describe: IS and zoom can be engaged at the same time.
I think allowing zoom all the time would make it feel more natural (it is not zooming afterall, remember) and would also eliminate - or diminish - the 'they can see me, but I can't see them'-feeling you currently have when running around in RO2.

Upvote 0
Seems like a fair point. Zoom is there to correct the monitor limitations, which apply just as much when moving as when standing still.
Definitely. It's likely they intend the restriction to be an intentional drawback to movement. The problem is, that restriction makes sense for sprinting, and not so much sense for slow, deliberate, ironsighted walking.

Upvote 0
So basically what happens is that people will not stop to use zoom, which in turn does the exact opposite of the "slower gameplay" that a lot of you guys want.
Being able to zoom while running means that there's little advantage at taking your time to stop somewhere to zoom. As a result people would just start by rushing even more.

You shouldn't see zoom as purely a correction of the visibility compared to real life, it also serves the purpose of simulating concentration. While concentration might not improve your view, it does allow you to identify things better.

So as much as I find it a very logical request, I don't see this being a good influence to the current gameplay. The maps are simply too small to be designed around this "zoom while sprint" mechanic. If we had BF3 sized maps, then I'd reconsider.

Upvote 0
Being able to zoom while running means that there's little advantage at taking your time to stop somewhere to zoom. As a result people would just start by rushing even more.
What about the little sidestep that always ends you zoom?

While running I dont know either, sure IRL you can focus on something in the distance while running but you might fall over something in front of your feet. :D

Also zooming a lot gives you a tunnel vision so I dont even know if its SUCH an advantage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i never use zoom. when i run in the open, it's as fast as i can to the next cover. when i get there, i sight through the weapon and look to see if there's a target. i rarely use the zoom with my weapon either. i thinks it's kinda dumb to even have the zoom. seems kinda goofy to me. problem is, that they make the enemy look so small, that even when they're only about 150 meters away, which is about as far as you can get with these maps, they look like ants. really? why? i have no problem making out a man in real life at 200 meters or more, why make people so close look so small that you need to zoom to make them out?
of course the easiest fix for that, is to double the distance. shoot a guy at what is now 150 meters and get credit for 300. at least then i'll understand why they were hard to make out!

Reactions: Machete234
Upvote 0
I thought that you're not supposed to look around while sprinting? When you run you have guys behind you, covering your approach or you run into the closest cover you know of. Either way you don't need a good look at your surroundings. Spotting people should be possible only when you're in position. Right now I find it good that people in cover have an advantage over guys who are running. We can talk about this after we tweak rapid movement (like complete halt or zig-zags) as well as ADS a bit.

Upvote 0
No please no.
I think having no zoom while running balances out the monitor limitations and real life limitation of actual running.
There's no more need for someone to run, have a perfect vision of the surrounding so he could stop on a dime, aim in a millisecond and kill a defender who should really have the advantage in the first place.

Upvote 0