• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping fix

I play on a select few servers upwards of 64 players and while the pings occasionally jump higher on the server, it is rare. I am not saying there isn't room for improvement, but most of the time for me it rarely happens to where it is even noticeable.

Also, I'm sure there are a few servers out there stressing out with too many players on them. Its probably best if they lighten the load and for other players that experience these problems, maybe try a 50 player server instead of a 64 player server.

In any case, it is way better than it was on the days following the games launch.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure a source engine game is unplayable at a 400 ping I dont know about RO.
Try it sometime. You're at a disadvantage in quick-draw situations because everyone else's actions get to the server that much faster than yours do, but the latency compensation means your shots still hit what you're aiming them at. TF2 isn't the best example for it, since its server-side rollback scheme gets a little wonky on fluctuating connections, but it's something a ton of people have experience with.

A week ago, I was playing Brink on a server in Russia (that game is so dead, it's the only choice :( ) and even with a 300ms ping, I was still able to land headshots on targets that are leaping off walls like spastic monkeys, because of the client-side hit detection in use. The laggy connection put me at a tangible disadvantage in terms of reaction time, but it didn't make the shooting completely fall apart like RO2 does with just 100ms delay.

Pretty much any FPS game you can name does it better than RO, because everybody else has the good sense of designing in latency compensation.

Upvote 0
Pretty much any FPS game you can name does it better than RO, because everybody else has the good sense of designing in latency compensation.

If I understand correctly though, doesn't that leave you with the issue of being headshotted in a place where no one can possible see you? (because since the guy lagging headshotted you a while back, and you moved into a safe place before the packets reached the server/your client)

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly though, doesn't that leave you with the issue of being headshotted in a place where no one can possible see you? (because since the guy lagging headshotted you a while back, and you moved into a safe place before the packets reached the server/your client)

Or you moved into a safe place but because he may be lagging he saw and shot you after you were safe but BAM! you are dead anyway because of lag compensation.

I hate lag compensation :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe thats because he is the guy that shoots you in the head and you are the guy behind cover getting the head shot? ;)

Upvote 0
Try it sometime. You're at a disadvantage in quick-draw situations because everyone else's actions get to the server that much faster than yours do, but the latency compensation means your shots still hit what you're aiming them at. TF2 isn't the best example for it, since its server-side rollback scheme gets a little wonky on fluctuating connections, but it's something a ton of people have experience with.
At least in CS:S I think you will have trouble moving.
But maybe thats because my only way of simulating a high ping is downloading something and that causes packet loss too.

It becomes really unplayable for me and everything warps around while in RO2 with a 150 ping (TWI server in the US) nothing warps and you just have to aim ahead even more but its reliable.

A 150ms ping by itself is not that bad when you look at human reaction times but in other games with their prediction algorithms and what not a 150 ping becomes a catastrophe because nothing is fluid anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[B]Mekhazzio[/B] said:
I have to say that in BC2 it was the worst thing I ever experienced. In RO2 it is much better in terms of dying and killing, although leading targets sometimes can be tricky (with bolt action rifle for example).

Upvote 0
If you consider getting shot when you're exposed an "issue", sure. It's not unique to any networking model, though. It can and does happen under any model except target-client-side hit detection, and I'm only familiar of one game to ever use that method (Descent: great game, horrible networking)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder 2 things:

If the pings didn't reflect server processing time and only showed your internet delay, would people still be complaining about the same in-game delays but with a prettier number? Would they forget about the bullet lag if the number didn't look so high?

Secondly, if we had lag compensation in the game so bullets appeared to hit more frequently, would we get more complaints from people who get shot while under cover and behind walls? Many console games have this problem where even after you've ducked behind a wall or under some cover, you'll still get shot and die because on the other player's screen you're still out in the open to get shot for a few ms. If it was the other way around, would you complain about getting shot around walls and under cover? Especially in a game where the latch on cover system was such a big feature? I personally thing lag compensation would kill several features in RO2 that make it what it is.

I think the community is asking for something that's somewhat impossible for TWI to do; design some magical netcode where internet delay and server processing delay doesn't exist. Even in the newest AAA title games with tens of millions in production values like Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty these problems exist. If you want the smoothest performance possible, try a server with a doubled tickrate. It won't be 64 players on this generation of hardware, but it will be more consistent with 32 or less players.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
I saw Reason Gaming play a serious CS:S match all with pings of 60 and they were happy. RO doesn't need pings as low as CSS, and like somone said, the pings may be calculated differently. I never minded pings upto 100 in RO1 and so far I'm happy with similar in RO2, it's when the guy you're shooting at has a massive ping that annoys ME

Im sorry if this offends - but..
LOL i can't believe people are just "happy" with the netcode, i guess these are the type of people who play RO2.. They are ignorant and "happy" with a low quality product? (i think TWI was counting on their customers being ignorant and just "happy" with what they get?)

Maybe thats why only 400 people play the game now.

I KNOW if Tripwire improved the ping and compensation that many people would come back to this game! and thats all i want to see because i LOVE the RO2 concept.

Good Luck TWI,
-plex

Upvote 0
Im sorry if this offends - but..
LOL i can't believe people are just "happy" with the netcode, i guess these are the type of people who play RO2.. They are ignorant and "happy" with a low quality product? (i think TWI was counting on their customers being ignorant and just "happy" with what they get?)

Maybe thats why only 400 people play the game now.

I KNOW if Tripwire improved the ping and compensation that many people would come back to this game! and thats all i want to see because i LOVE the RO2 concept.

Good Luck TWI,
-plex

It worked great in RO1, did you play it?

Upvote 0
It worked great in RO1, did you play it?
No, the network model did not work great in RO1. It had all the exact same problems it does in RO2. It was a little better hidden from casual players by how slowly characters moved and how most animations were locked into completion, but the problems were there.
RO2s shooting doesnt "fall apart" at ALL at 100ms, you just have to aim ever so slightly further ahead
"Ever so slightly" being full body-lengths or more, yeah. When the lead you have to apply is larger than the change in motion that the target can make in the same time span, it means you not only have to lead the target, you have to guess their future actions as well. Successfully hitting a target becomes effectively a random event, especially because, as players become more experienced with the game, they naturally begin to take on erratic movement habits specifically because of the effect it has on the networking.

If you don't think that's broken, let's illustrate with just one of many possible examples. Let's say you're in a building, maybe the NCO Barracks, and you know an enemy is covering a hallway you want to move through. With the game's networking, it doesn't matter how good this person might be, because you can move into the hallway and run across / fire / throw a grenade / whatever and, as long as you do it in less than their latency, it is mathematically impossible for them to shoot you. The only way they could hit you is to be psychic (or wallhacking) and fire before they see you clear the corner. The networking is distorting gameplay decisions: your risky move to brave known enemy fire is made safe, and his attempt to lock down a hallway is made futile. That is what I consider "falling apart", when the networking model is having a larger effect on gameplay choices than any other design decision the game has made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0