• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank combat...

Player_One

Jun 23, 2007
:(

I'm so disappointed in tank combat this game has to offer.

RO1 was almost perfect. Sure, there were things like extreme overexaggeration of armor angeling and damaging was too straight-forward, but this game is much, much worse. There's absolutely nothing enjoyable or good about tank combat as of now...

First problem I've had since I bought the game from the recent sales are the controls. I am really not used to rotating my turret with a mouse. I understand that it was done so because the WASD keys need to be used for the bot commands inside the tank, but that's another issue. It's just so tedious to control the turret with a mouse, but I guess with more time I'll get used to it.

Now for the tank voice commands themselves. Why there's not a seperate menu for voice commands when you're inside the tank? How am I supposed to have HUMAN players actually understand my orders? Typing takes way too much time and can barely put in practice when I'm in a heat of a battle, and I don't use VOIP at all. Maybe I'm just being thick right here, but I've scrolled down and up the control binding list and could not find anything relating to this. And yet they wonder why other tank commanders lock their tanks from player access...I've made big mistakes before by allowing them to enter and be completely useless (left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, sort of), but no more.

Now goes the tank balance itself. I won't say much about how utterly disgusted I am, but I will give you a hint. When a player in a PZ4 with a self-awareness of a rock gets a couple of shots in his rear or side, turns his turret at me and somehow 1 shots T-34 to hell, there's obviously something seriously wrong.

No wonder the tank servers are almost dead...No wonder...

For me, the most frustrating thing about using the mouse for turret control is when you need to traverse more than say, 60* (which is about how far you can move the mouse with a normal wrist movement). Outside of that 60* arc you have to continually pick-up and "brush" the mouse to the side to make the turret turn enough.

Is there any way to use WASD for vehicle control and the direction arrows for the turret?

Also, there has to be something done about the ammo select thing. You can't just choose AP or HE when there's a round in the chamber.

While we're at it, how about neutral steer, smoke grenades, riders on tanks and the spent casing being ejected from the breech (with its accompianing "BONG!" when it hits the turret floor?

And traverse speed; was the PzIV or T-34 faster? Seems they are both the same speed now.

On a positive note, they look great and I like the new crunchy sounds that the tracks make. The animations for the loader and crew are really nice. All the hard work TWI put into those vehicles really shows and I'm looking forward to the new ones as they are released.

Upvote 0
learn the weak spots and you can kill either tank in 1 shot from almost any range
depending on your ability to aim of course, mouse aiming is a step back because its too easy.

exactly !!

And when i have destroyed a panzer in the map gumrak almost always the
opponent goes away. I am sick of that. I want to compete and to enjoy.

Upvote 0
While we're at it, how about neutral steer, smoke grenades, riders on tanks and the spent casing being ejected from the breech (with its accompianing "BONG!" when it hits the turret floor?

PzIV didn't have smoke a grenade system.

And traverse speed; was the PzIV or T-34 faster? Seems they are both the same speed now.

I don't remember which version of the PIII/IV had electric traverse instead of manual operation. Not only did the T-34 have bad suspension and optics, the only upside was that it had a diesel engine.

Upvote 0

I'm so disappointed in tank combat this game has to offer.

RO1 was almost perfect. Sure, there were things like extreme overexaggeration of armor angeling and damaging was too straight-forward, but this game is much, much worse. There's absolutely nothing enjoyable or good about tank combat as of now...

First problem I've had since I bought the game from the recent sales are the controls. I am really not used to rotating my turret with a mouse. I understand that it was done so because the WASD keys need to be used for the bot commands inside the tank, but that's another issue. It's just so tedious to control the turret with a mouse, but I guess with more time I'll get used to it.

Well prior to RO1, the Mod used the mouse to aim and control the turret and I liked that... when RO1 came out and used the movement keys to move the turret, it was clunky, bulky, slow and a pain in the arse when trying to get an accurate shot at long distance.

I personally hated the switch and I'm glad the turret movement is back to the way it was in the mod..... but certainly wouldn't be opposed to it being an option to choose between mouse and keyboard.

Now for the tank voice commands themselves. Why there's not a seperate menu for voice commands when you're inside the tank? How am I supposed to have HUMAN players actually understand my orders? Typing takes way too much time and can barely put in practice when I'm in a heat of a battle, and I don't use VOIP at all. Maybe I'm just being thick right here, but I've scrolled down and up the control binding list and could not find anything relating to this. And yet they wonder why other tank commanders lock their tanks from player access...I've made big mistakes before by allowing them to enter and be completely useless (left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, sort of), but no more.

Well you would be wise to start using a mic, especially when in a tank with other players..... but there is also the command pop up which by default selects all squads and gives you the generic commands, but if you click in the centre of the radial, it will toggle to tank-crew commands.

Now goes the tank balance itself. I won't say much about how utterly disgusted I am, but I will give you a hint. When a player in a PZ4 with a self-awareness of a rock gets a couple of shots in his rear or side, turns his turret at me and somehow 1 shots T-34 to hell, there's obviously something seriously wrong.

Back in RO1 is was reversed, where all the Panzers would blow up in one shot from any other tank, especially when not angled.

The main reason why the T34 blows up so easily is because of the death of the commander. People aim for the turret of the T34 the most, because the Panzer and AT-Rifle rounds go right through and kill the commander standing in the Turret.... when the commander is killed (the human player), the tank automatically blows up before you get a chance to switch to another AI character in the tank...... this happens to both tanks, but happens way more often with the T34.

Even I would like this addressed. The rest of the tank can usually handle a couple of shots or more, but this gimmick of blowing up the tank simply because the human player/commander was killed inside the tank (when the tank was still usable) makes things a bit silly and feels almost like an exploit against the Russians, as it is more difficult to do the same thing to the Panzer.

In regards to blowing up a Panzer in one hit.... it's still possible.... when you see the set of wheels positioned above the tracks on the side of the Panzer, aim for the front wheel. That seems to be a very good sweet spot that blows them up real good.

No wonder the tank servers are almost dead...No wonder...

Actually most players don't like the AI Machine Gunner, which aimbots other players way too easily.

I don't have an issue with it.... when I see the front of a tank coming at me, I run like I probably would do in real life, but it's too easy for someone to park their tank at an intersection and just let the AI MG'er mow down kills for them.

Make the AI Bots Passive in the Tank, make it so the tanks don't automatically blow up when one player in the tank is killed, and I think a lot of major issues with the tanks would be resolved (at least it'd be a start)

But I still enjoy using the tanks, they just need some tweaks.

Also, there has to be something done about the ammo select thing. You can't just choose AP or HE when there's a round in the chamber.

Last time I played RO1, it was the same, only it wouldn't allow you to toggle between the rounds until the round was loaded..... once the round was loaded, you could continually switch back and forth without having to reload.

What exists in RO2 isn't much different except that it allows you to toggle while reloading.

Not too sure what you mean about neutral steering..... one map I played a few days back had smoke grenades available as a round (forget what server and map it was though).... riders on tanks would be an interesting feature, but won't matter to me if it was in or out of the game..... and that extra sound effect would be nice.

The T34 is faster, although slightly, and from my observation, I believe the Panzer has a slower acceleration.

On a positive note, they look great and I like the new crunchy sounds that the tracks make. The animations for the loader and crew are really nice. All the hard work TWI put into those vehicles really shows and I'm looking forward to the new ones as they are released.

As am I.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
In RO1 or better yet Darkest Hour Mod for RO1 the tanks actually felt like ..well.. tanks.. and the maps made a big difference. I didn't even mind the bazooka joes running around like nutz..
smile.gif
ofcourse but back then..you could get out and shoot them or hit them in the head.. sigh..
When I first seen the modeling of the RO2 tanks I was in heaven... then the release gives us one little map.. sigh.. such a slap to us tank lovers... and so many errors in the modeling once you get use to it.. but, yeah you can kill either side tank pretty easily once you get use to it.. at 1000+ even.

As "creative" as TWI suppose to be, they would do good to "spinoff" the tanks in RO2 into a TANK only game and sell a very good niche game for tank players with "LARGE" maps.. you would think they would notice as many tank servers remain populated as combined arms in RO1 aka Darkest Hour. But, I guess they have their heads under water trying to kill bugs in RO2 on it's own.

With the Fail in RO2 for tanks and maps..

What will you turn to?

I liked the RO series due mainly thru Tanks.. 1 was nice.. RO2 has such promise.. but.. lacking any content to the part I like.. ohwell..there are others... which have you searched out?

Steelbeast releasing 2.6 this month.. steep in price but worthy.
http://www.steelbeasts.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AjnS560BKqQ

and graviteam is rolling out the M60's and t-62's in Steel Armor:Blaze of War this coming month also!!
http://graviteam.com/games/210.html

mtc80_iranian_m60a1_cocpit.wmv - YouTube
SWEET! I actually sat in a seat like that!!

steel armor blaze of war - YouTube
Always thought RO2 could have looked this good... With that said.. those guys have yet to make a good Multiplayer game..
Which RO1 did have at least..time will tell..

anyways, Both look excellent and will fill my time along with Iron Warriors (About RO1 level for 5 bucks) http://store.steampowered.com/app/1670/ for tank wars until TWI gets their act together..

tried that world of tanks etc..yuck.. anyways..

we wait..longer for SDK(now pushed back to end of first or second week of December)...oh and that FREE DLC patch..
Any other disappointed tankers out there searhing for a relief game?

:IS2:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Beast (nl)
Upvote 0

I don't know about that, buddy. I see more and more raping of Pznzers on the various maps. Even HE to the front gets them good and smoking...A single AP round to the side cooks their crew almost every time.

Nothing is really very obvious. 1-shots happen on both sides. Sure the T-34 feels a little weak in comparison but I see it as a challenge. Also moving a lot helps.

Upvote 0
People complain about RO2 being arcade but they loved the unrealistic rambo tanking system of RO1? I never played Ostfront or HOS for the tanks, but perhaps they should have left tanks out and just made an expansion pack dedicated to tank combat/combined arms to please the tank crowd.

The tanks actually did good with Darkest hour mod.. not RO1..
The "servers" you join "CAN" turn off tanks in the RO2 maps.. it's up to them..

But I agree 100% that they should make and dedicate some time to a TANKS only version.. without stats.. hardcore.. Large maps.. and good pings. They will get my next 50 bucks for it..before they get 40 more for RO3..

Upvote 0
People complain about RO2 being arcade but they loved the unrealistic rambo tanking system of RO1? I never played Ostfront or HOS for the tanks, but perhaps they should have left tanks out and just made an expansion pack dedicated to tank combat/combined arms to please the tank crowd.

It was realistic for it's time and still more realistic than most games.

Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0
For me, the most frustrating thing about using the mouse for turret control is when you need to traverse more than say, 60* (which is about how far you can move the mouse with a normal wrist movement). Outside of that 60* arc you have to continually pick-up and "brush" the mouse to the side to make the turret turn enough.

Is there any way to use WASD for vehicle control and the direction arrows for the turret?

I believe you can use the Arrow keys to traverse - problem is its on the other side of the keyboard.

I don't remember which version of the PIII/IV had electric traverse instead of manual operation. Not only did the T-34 have bad suspension and optics, the only upside was that it had a diesel engine.

Bad optics, definitely, but bad suspension? I thought the Christie suspension system was the reason the T-34 had such great cross-country speed. Sloped armor was also an upside, as it kept the tank relatively light.

According to one of the devs, the hit boxes are the same size on either tank. The problem is the Panzer IV is a larger tank, making the hit box a smaller percentage of the volume of the tank. In other words, you're more likely to get a 1 hit kill striking a T-34, as it has less "padding."

Last edited:
Upvote 0