• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bandages

I made a Bandaging suggestion in my Suggestion thread a month or so ago. Some people quite liked my old Bandaging Idea. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57224

I guess mixing my idea with your idea makes an even better idea :D

Bandaging System
To be honest, I like how bandaging is in the game it adds slight realism but I seriously think it's not finished. Here's a couple of ideas to make it more realistic and fun.

Bleeding out seems too fast. I think it should take at least a couple of minutes to bleed out. Maybe the more you wait the screen gets darker and more blurred making it harder fight on. This way people get in cover or fall back to bandage up and bandaging should take at least 30 seconds for each wound and doesn't use 1 bandage for multiple wounds.

It also needs a cool animation to know that you are bandaging, I always get confused not knowing if I bandaged up or not. I think a good animation would you put your gun away, pull out the bandage and rip it up a bit then your hand go down you can hear yourself putting it on but you can't see it. Another way to make this cool is maybe how much you are hurt the more bandage you use which could see by looking at how much bandage there is when you rip it. This could be a more authentic way instead of writing "2 Bandages left".

I also feel that if bandaging was made this way I think the Medics could easily be used in the game. The alone players could maybe have a very little amount of bandages but the medics could have a lot and also be quicker at bandaging than normal soldiers are.

Upvote 0
I made a Bandaging suggestion in my Suggestion thread a month or so ago. Some people quite liked my old Bandaging Idea. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57224[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57224[/URL]

I guess mixing my idea with your idea makes an even better idea :D
Fair enough.

Only thing I'd say is that doing nothing (bandaging) for 30 seconds per wound is a very long time to have to wait out. Thirty second spawn times feel like an age when you're sat there wating, so would these bandaging times. A middle ground needs to be struck between quick-flow game play and some semblance of reality (neither of which are mutually exclusive with the application of a smidgen of wit and forethought); 3 seconds is far too fast (you can do it mid-melee for heaven's sake) but 30 seconds would be far too slow.

I think most people would rather do away with this rubbish bandaging silliness altogether but it's not likely to be removed/replaced any time soon by TWI. Loathe-worthy though it is, this is a core design decision and we're just going to have to suck that down. Anything that we can suggest as a tweak to the current system that makes use of already existing game mechanics stands a far greater chance of being looked at seriously by the devs... IMHO. You know, pick the low hanging fruit first etc.

Upvote 0
Removing the bandaging is the easiest and most realistic option. If you are lightly injured you should be able to continue the game as if nothing had happened (eg a scratch), if the wound is bad enough, you are forced to crawl or can only move very slowly for the rest of the game (and have the choice to re spawn maybe).

Upvote 0
I like the idea of tweaking the bandaging some. I think extremity (arm, leg) wounds could maybe take much longer to bleed out ( 1 minute even?), but all wounds should disrupt performance, maybe making it impossible to sprint and in some cases forcing the player prone until bleed out or bandaging?

Perhaps there could be a Medic class.
Medics can bandage at 3x the speed of a player doing a self-bandage + they get points for it? Maybe the HUD shows medics where injured players are? Players bandaged by a medic have a 50% chance of having their performance completely restored?

Just some ideas, but these might require more than just some simple tweaks.

Upvote 0
There are several threads about the current bandage system, and about how a more desirable RO1-like damage model was dropped just prior to release in favour of the current comedy insta-heal offering.
In RO1 you'd just take the hit and keep on trucking with no adverse effects except if it was hand or lower leg. The bleeding and requirement to take time out to stop the health loss is a less forgiving iteration on RO1's implementation, not the other way around.

Upvote 0
In RO1 you'd just take the hit and keep on trucking with no adverse effects except if it was hand or lower leg. The bleeding and requirement to take time out to stop the health loss is a less forgiving iteration on RO1's implementation, not the other way around.
I'm not knocking the RO2 bleedout mechanic. When it happens it is about the only thing that makes the RO2 damage system lethal, but its implementation leaves something to be desired (for reasons expansively covered elsewhere).

Arguing that the comedy bandage system in RO2 makes it less forgiving than RO1 holds no water when one considers that in RO2 hits to the arms do nothing (in RO you at least dropped your weapon from time to time), hits to the legs do nothing (in RO you at least dropped to the ground) and hits to the chest/abdomen often do nothing (known RO2 bug - differs from RO1 not one jot save for bleedout). If you get shot in RO1 you're essentially screwed (permanently lowered health), yet in RO2 you can ninja-heal yourself and you're back up to fighting strength in three seconds flat (cue the Benny Hill attack-heal-attack-heal moments that doubtless everyone has experienced at least once).

Upvote 0
-> mass suizide

People keep saying that, but i do not believe it.

A more punishing damage model was present in RO1. And i didnt see any mass suicides.

Hell ive seen FH and FH2 servers with tiny respawn times where nobody suicides. And MechWarrior even.

In other words i have never seen this phenomena.

I think the whole "persistent damage = mass suicide" thing is a myth. And even if it wasnt, all the people who would do it arent playing anymore anyways.

Upvote 0
Interesting ideas.

But so many people are characterizing the bandaging mechanic as a "heal". I always thought it was not a heal, but can only stop you from dying from a bleedout. And bleedouts happen from wounds that are not in themselves fatal (ie not vital organs). But as I understood it, the points you lost are not regained. My impression is that this is reflected by the vocalizations your character occasionally uses thereafter (you'll hear him complaining about his wound).

Am I wrong??

If I'm wrong I apologize for the contradiction, but if I am not, please stop calling it a heal.

I'm not sure I would argue against some form of tweaking, but as it is now, the bleedout and/or bandaging mechanic already makes a noticeable impact on the battlefield. If I shoot someone and I miss a vital area but cause them to bleed, if they don't change their behavior in some way they will die; dead is about as impaired from a wound as you can get, and an interruption of your current behavior is also an impairment of sorts. If they don't want to die, they have to find a suitable spot to bandage themselves in or bandage themselves immediately in the case of a fast bleedout. Not only this but he has less hitpoints anyway. Slow bleedouts usually allow the guy enough time to try to return fire before taking action, but he does have to deal with the suppression effect. Either way they are more vulnerable and if I or a teammate failed to kill them, more power to them.

It's debatable the pacing of this, but as it is now I don't know how many times I've killed a person by a second shot at them after I made them bleed, successful basically because I made them bleed. Or how many I ended up killing because they ignored the bleed whether because they were out of bandages or whatever. If they were partly hidden and able to take cover after I shot them to bandage, fine by me, they were being smart by having cover. If that had been Ostfront, they could recover their weapon while hiding.

So to me, when you are shot in the arm or leg in Ostfront, you experience some vulnerability...and you experience a vulnerability in HOS when you are similarly shot --only through a different mechanic.

Impairment is another issue though. Even though (I think) you are not healed by bandages, you do not experience long-term impairment. Realistically, a major wound should slow you down in some way. Minor wounds would be debatable (after bandaging a slow bleedout, I think you should just soldier on without impairment). I think I like that you no longer drop your weapon in HOS, but it would be interesting to have increased weapon instability (sway) for arm shots, and have a limp for leg shots (which would mean slower movement and shaky aim while moving). With other non-fatal shots, I can't imagine any other impairments without getting too complicated. Maybe cut the person's suppression resistance (though with stats problems, I could easily imagine this one being a source of glitchy woe).

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
People keep saying that, but i do not believe it.

A more punishing damage model was present in RO1. And i didnt see any mass suicides.

Hell ive seen FH and FH2 servers with tiny respawn times where nobody suicides. And MechWarrior even.

In other words i have never seen this phenomena.

I think the whole "persistent damage = mass suicide" thing is a myth. And even if it wasnt, all the people who would do it aren't playing anymore anyways.

It somewhat depend on the game itself and the mentality of the experience. For instance, Arma2 has it where you get shot in the legs, you can only crawl. It can be somewhat of an aggravating experience in its self, especially when your in the middle of nowhere. Crawling 3 miles is NOT fun not matter how you twist it. But it does fit in the the gameplay and overall pace. And it works.

Like it or not, RO2 has much faster gameplay overall and i can't honestly see the crawl until death mechanic being particularly enjoyable. Especially with no means to 'heal' it. What i do agree with is harsher penalties for injuries as has been stated numerous times. That, i fully support, along with less instamagicbandage powers.

Injuries need to mean something, but not done in a way to completely destroy the experience.

Reactions: defektive
Upvote 0