• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How are riflemen going to be balanced?

Hello Devs, I for one am very happy you are not nerfing the Garand. I've been a huge fan of RO1 and Darkest Hour. I can remember one map from DH (Hill 200 I think) which was a narrow winding path of heavily defended bunkers up a nasty hill. I can't remember how many times I got confused on who was supposed to win or who had the clear advantage. I think that the Germans usually ran out of reinforcements, but the point is that asymmetrical and well crafted map making can balance things without being obvious or introducing any deus ex machina.

Let's not forget that even though the Japanese had inferior weapons in almost every department, it was a bloody theatre to the very end due impart to terrain advantage, good discipline (To the point of fanaticism in several cases), and good training and jungle fighting experience.

Good luck with the map making and I will be impatiently awaiting your game.

(P.S. I hope to find a lot pillboxes on some of these maps, especially if you decide to incorporate a flame thrower)

Upvote 0
as far as i Know, The arisaka was a very accurate, controllable, and sneaky weapon. It has very little muzzle flash, and can be hidden well.

I feel Japanese should have camouflage they get after a certain level to balance things out, or maybe we can just constrict things to Guadalcanal, before the marines got garands.

Upvote 0
I imagine the Arisaka might be more accurate and reliable (unless jamming is a feature in the game reliability doesn't really matter) because it is a bolt-action.

I also saw it mentioned in a thread somewhere that the standard Japanese bayonet was some 9 inches longer than the American counterpart, if this is true perhaps it could have a melee range advantage.

In the end though, the Garand is simply superior in some aspects, just the way the cookie crumbles.

Disclaimer: I'm not the most knowledgeable person with guns, so feel free to correct me.

I shall...
The M1 is a far superior weapon accuracy wise. It's still trusted in match competition in the nationals at Camp Perry. There is no argument of the most accurate weapon in the Pacific theater being the M1 and M1903 rifles.
<a href="http://www.bobrohrer.com/sea_stories/end_of_an_era.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.bobrohrer.com/sea_stories/end_of_an_era.pdf
Both the M1 and 03 had fully adjustible peep sights (1903 having a flip up ladder with 2 other sight notches)

The arisaka was rediculed for innaccuracy and less knock down power with its 6.5mm round. It was lighter, smaller in diameter with a slower velocity compared to the legendary 30-06. This simply isnt a competition.
But Im sure with how innacurate and "fair" games are nowadays...30 cal will have the same knock down power of 6.5mm.

A service grade M1 rifle is still capable of 10in groupings at 300yds.
Also...Marines kept their 16in M1905 bayonet even for the M1 rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Type 38 was 6.5mm but the Type 99 introduced in 1939 was 7.7mm after they found the Type 38 lacking during their war with China (especially at range). Granted both versions were used by troops throughout WWII as they never made enough 99s to completely replace the 38s so we might see both in the game.

The Type 99 wasn't an inaccurate weapon unless we're talking about the last ditch batches which were rubbish - similar to last ditch K98s. The 7.7mm round wouldn't deliver the same stopping power as the 30.06 but if we're talking about 100-300m engagement ranges a 7.7mm round would deliver good stopping power.

Upvote 0
I think the suggestion of teams swapping sides at the end of rounds is a better idea. It was confusing as hell in RO2 Countdown when sides swapped and I was still Russian, but now defending. I know the devs said they don't want to be like other games and that, but it's pretty much ingrained into players now that when the round ends, you change sides.

This is the best solution. It doesn't matter if the teams are slightly unbalanced then.

Upvote 0
and it's not because a weapons is a semi automatic one it's means it's less accurate. It's mean nothing.

Actually it does. a semi automatic has more moving parts wich cause vibrations, the bullets pick this up and bounces arround in the barrel. this in turn will slightly alter the trajectory once the bullet leaves the barrel.

first choice of sniper rifles is still a decent bolt action rifle (manufactured with much smaller tolerances but thats besides the point)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually it does. a semi automatic has more moving parts wich cause vibrations, the bullets pick this up and bounces arround in the barrel. this in turn will slightly alter the trajectory once the bullet leaves the barrel.

first choice of sniper rifles is still a decent bolt action rifle (manufactured with much smaller tolerances but thats besides the point)

This only becomes a factor at very long ranges when you're talking about weapons built to the highest standard, like some dedicated sniper rifles. A typical M1 Garand is going to be just as accurate as a typical M1903, K98, Lee-Enfield, or Arisaka. The Garand was accurate enough for sniping purposes as well as evident by the M1C and M1D variants.

The weaponry and optics available to snipers has changed dramatically since WWII, but today the choice between semi-auto and bolt action often depends upon the terrain.

Regarding the 6.5x50mm ammunition used by the Arisaka, the caliber/dimensions was not a problem. For typical combat ranges it was certainly lethal and accurate enough. Yet the design and shape of the actual bullet could have been better. It would have probably been better for the Japanese to switch to improved/modified 6.5x50mm ammunition instead of switching calibers entirely.

Upvote 0
But Im sure with how innacurate and "fair" games are nowadays...30 cal will have the same knock down power of 6.5mm.

I facepalm inside my mind every time I see people complain about this.

Just about all games have an internal "health" value of 100... or 0 to 1 if you want to get technical (0 being dead and 1 being completely healthy) and depending on which hitbox you hit (chest, arms, elgs, etc) a damage multiplier is applied. so maybe 2x for chest, and 5x for head, 1x for legs and 0.5x for hands and feet.

You cant "balance" the difference between 2600 and 2900 J. The damage formula doesn't give a damn if the damage difference between a 30-06 and 6.5mm is "5". For instance, If somebody gets shot in the chest by a 30-06 and it's 65 damage, that 2x multplier goes off and they die. If somebody gets shot in the chest with a 6.5mm and it does 60 damage, the 2x multiplier goes off and they die.

There's a numerical difference, but unless you are repeatedly shooting somebody in the foot, its never going to make a difference. The only alternative would be to make the 6.5mm do really poor damage, but needing to shoot people in the chest twice with the arisaka every time would hardly be fair or realistic.

Thats really a lot like real life when it comes down to it.. most people aren't going to notice the difference between 300 J and an extra 100 m/s when they've got a gaping, shattered hole in their chest.

"Oh I got hit with a 30-06 instead of 6.5mm, I guess I should be more dead than I am already"

Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
I facepalm inside my mind every time I see people complain about this.

Just about all games have an internal "health" value of 100... or 0 to 1 if you want to get technical (0 being dead and 1 being completely healthy) and depending on which hitbox you hit (chest, arms, elgs, etc) a damage multiplier is applied. so maybe 2x for chest, and 5x for head, 1x for legs and 0.5x for hands and feet.

You cant "balance" the difference between 2600 and 2900 J. The damage formula doesn't give a damn if the damage difference between a 30-06 and 6.5mm is "5". For instance, If somebody gets shot in the chest by a 30-06 and it's 65 damage, that 2x multplier goes off and they die. If somebody gets shot in the chest with a 6.5mm and it does 60 damage, the 2x multiplier goes off and they die.

There's a numerical difference, but unless you are repeatedly shooting somebody in the foot, its never going to make a difference. The only alternative would be to make the 6.5mm do really poor damage, but needing to shoot people in the chest twice with the arisaka every time would hardly be fair or realistic.

Thats really a lot like real life when it comes down to it.. most people aren't going to notice the difference between 300 J and an extra 100 m/s when they've got a gaping, shattered hole in their chest.

"Oh I got hit with a 30-06 instead of 6.5mm, I guess I should be more dead than I am already"

Wtf is this. I want semis to take 2 shots and bolts to take 1, its realistic.

/endtroll.

I completely agree. :p

Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
Honestly I hope they DON'T "balance" any of the weapons. Simply put more often than not "Balanced" weapons should just be changed to Cookie Cutter weapons. Once all the weapons perform the same, why bother having multiple types. Why not just put one gun for each class, and call it good. You're already effectively doing that anyways.

You should have to learn to play with, and deal with the pros and cons of each weapon. Otherwise its just another arcade CoD clone.

Upvote 0
I hope you guys go for balance by numbers, ie more people in the Japanese team.

I'm afraid this never works. I have only ever seen one MP game work with unbalanced numbers and that was 'The Hidden', which was a team vs 1.

Think about it for a second and you will see why...

Nobody will choose to go Japanese as they will have fewer targets and generally less fun. Who wants to play a game where your sole purpose is to be cannon fodder to make up the numbers?

The Japanese will, most frequently, be defending. Giving defenders a numerical advantage is not really a good idea... again you are kind of implying that the Japanese are some kind of orc horde to be mown down.

Historically, the Japanese rarely had superiority in numbers in the later battles.

Our solution to the issue is not going to be this.

Reactions: Landrik and Nikita
Upvote 0
I'm afraid this never works. I have only ever seen one MP game work with unbalanced numbers and that was 'The Hidden', which was a team vs 1.

Think about it for a second and you will see why...

Nobody will choose to go Japanese as they will have fewer targets and generally less fun. Who wants to play a game where your sole purpose is to be cannon fodder to make up the numbers?

The Japanese will, most frequently, be defending. Giving defenders a numerical advantage is not really a good idea... again you are kind of implying that the Japanese are some kind of orc horde to be mown down.

Historically, the Japanese rarely had superiority in numbers in the later battles.

Our solution to the issue is not going to be this.

I would gladly chose Japanese, but hey, maybe I'm just weird.

Upvote 0