• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An idea to make rare weapons/unlocks truely rare

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
For example, the mbk42. You would no longer be able to select the weapon in the class screen. Instead, there is a tickbox: 'Apply for mbk42' (only available when playing the proper class, ie. assault) When ticked, you have a certain % chance you will spawn with the mbk42. For example, 10%. This means, over a whole match, only a few spawns in total will produce an mbk42.
The same goes for other rare weapons and attachments such as MG34 double drum and belt. Each item can have a certain probability to spawn.

This would make rare equipment actually rare. If you spawn with rare equipment, you will feel 'blessed', truly appreciating the havoc you will wreak!

Last edited:
For example, the mbk42. You would no longer be able to select the weapon in the class screen. Instead, there is a tickbox: 'Apply for mbk42'. When ticked, you have a certain % chance you will spawn with the mbk42. For example, 10%. This means, over a whole match, only a few spawns in total will produce an mbk42.
The same goes for other rare weapons and attachments such as MG34 double drum and belt. Each item can have a certain probability to spawn.

This would make rare equipment actually rare. If you spawn with rare equipment, you will feel 'blessed', truly appreciating the havoc you will wreak!

Doesnt sound to bad, either this or linking it to heros also. Though i'd laugh if for instance having 10% chance of getting it, by pure luck 10 Mbk42s appear in a round.

have you been thinking about the faggots that are going to teamkill you because you have that weapon? :confused:

That cant exactly be helped. Those sorts of issues are to be resolved by server admin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
have you been thinking about the faggots that are going to teamkill you because you have that weapon? :confused:

For an Mkb, maybe, as it is a unique weapon. But since the MP40/II and MG34 with the 'Trommel mag sound the same as the standard variants and look fairly similar anyway, they're going to have to be looking very hard to even notice if you have the 'upgraded' one or not. Besides, it seems like griefing is a lot less common in RO2 than Ostfront, perhaps due to the honor penalty *knocks on wood*.

And no Soviet in their right mind would pick the AVT.

It's a good idea, and one that has been put forth several times. I for one would love this.

Reactions: Meismenotyou
Upvote 0
Besides, it seems like griefing is a lot less common in RO2 than Ostfront, perhaps due to the honor penalty *knocks on wood*.

I think this is a result of being unable to shoot the weapon out of the hands of a teammate. One must teamkill to get the weapon of someone afk. People seem to be either concerned about being kicked or their stats. Whatever it is, I don't mind, as long as intentional kills are rare.

Upvote 0
Point buy system. You spend your honour to buy the rare/ better equipment. That way, even when you reach honour 99, you can still do something with your honour.

One would have to carefully think about balancing the costs across all the gadgets and gizmos available, but point buy. You spend your honour points to receive access to a given piece of equipment for the duration of the round. If you do well with it, the cost should just about cover itself, with a little extra remaining to still advance you in honour (you advance in it the fastest, anyway).

And the really silly pieces of equipment would be prohibitively expensive, so you'd have to save up for them for a few games. Oh, and harsher penalties for TKs, to limit jerks trying to steal your rare piece you've been saving up for for the past previous games.

Been thinking about it for a while now as a response to the whole unlock conundrum. Wouldn't be applicable to clan matches, obviously, as clans need a level playing field.

Upvote 0
Point buy system. You spend your honour to buy the rare/ better equipment. That way, even when you reach honour 99, you can still do something with your honour.

One would have to carefully think about balancing the costs across all the gadgets and gizmos available, but point buy. You spend your honour points to receive access to a given piece of equipment for the duration of the round. If you do well with it, the cost should just about cover itself, with a little extra remaining to still advance you in honour (you advance in it the fastest, anyway).

And the really silly pieces of equipment would be prohibitively expensive, so you'd have to save up for them for a few games. Oh, and harsher penalties for TKs, to limit jerks trying to steal your rare piece you've been saving up for for the past previous games.

Been thinking about it for a while now as a response to the whole unlock conundrum. Wouldn't be applicable to clan matches, obviously, as clans need a level playing field.

So do I understand you correctly if I say your honor can go down a level with your suggestion?

Upvote 0
So do I understand you correctly if I say your honor can go down a level with your suggestion?

Yes. It would be possible for the honour level to go down under the system I am proposing.

• Honour cost on rare pieces (rather high/ prohibitive in case of ultra-rares)
  • Honour cost on classess other than rifleman; something really small, like 20 points for assault/ engineer/ MGer; perhaps 30 for SL; 50 for Commander

I'll try to type up the full thing the way I see it, if I get a chance to.

Upvote 0
This is needlessly complex.

My vote is to make it a temporary "reward", like the battlefield promotions.

You have a particularly good round, then you have a chance of getting the MKB, that way it would only happen once or twice for a whole round, and it would be rare for a person to get an MKB every server they were on.

This would at least come close to making the MKB as rare as was realistically feasible (okay, so at most there were 10,000 but once or twice a round is better than 2 people every round for an entire game), and it also wouldn't make picking the SMG for the assault class completely obsolete.

Upvote 0
... or a extra class for the Mkb42/AVT-40/MG-34 II/MP40 II (Mkb42 for germans, AVT-40 for russians and MG34/MP40 with double ammo available for both teams, or delete them from the game and save it for "RO2: Secret Weapons")

This class will be only available for the best player of the last round. If he don`t want it, the one slot of this class will be free for all.

Delete the whole weapon level up system and make it possible to choose between the stick magazine, or the drum magazine for the PPsh41 for the russian assault class.

G-41 and SVT-40 with scope has to be free availbale for every sniper (this little scope is very bad no one will use it, when he have the choice).

Removeable bayonet for the Kar98k and MN rifle.

So all weapons and upgrades are in use, only one guy have the choice to use the Mkb42/AVT-40 (ger/rus) or the special version of the MG34 II/MP40 II (free for both nations, if only the germans have this weapon it wouldn't be fair, or the russians need another MG, too. Or simple delete this very rare weapon upgrades - i personally don`t need it).

Have i forgot any important upgrade?
(the Winterabzugb

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the battlefield promotion idea. Either that, or this:

You need to have levelled up Assault class to get access to mkb42/avt-40, same as it is now. However, you can only choose this weapon _once_ per round. This means you can spawn initially with mp40, die 3 times, and decide this is the important point at which you need that firepower. Go to role select, pick mkb42 and you'll spawn with it once. However, if you die, you cannot spawn with the mkb42 until the next round/map change.

This way, there's intelligent decision being put into fielding the elite weapon. This feature would probably be disabled in Relaxed mode. This will also make the mkb42 feel more prized, as it was in reality. The teamkilling bit is a known risk, as it is with Elite rifleman and other classes, but we've noted that doesn't happen due to stats penalties. And, of course, you don't HAVE to pick the mkb42.

Upvote 0