• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tell your story how you found out about RO.

In 2006 I have read its review in Polish gaming magazine, CD-Action. It was very positive and if i remember well it had 8+/9 out of 10, but I never decided to have a deeper look in it. In 2010 I have heard about Red Orchestra 2 coming out, I have looked at the gameplays and it looked awesome. I decided to buy the original Ostfront in a local gaming store, and I fell in love with it. After playing all those CoDs, this was a completely new experience, and I guess I was seen as a cannon fodder, and it was really hard at the beggining, but after a few hours of playing I got used to it, changed some controls and played for next few months, until RO2 came out, which I bought in day of release. Altough I played it for 80 hours already, I stopped playing it on beggining of November. I was annoyed with my bad FPS.
I am going to go back to it, I can tell that. Either when I will get a better PC or when RO2 is going to have some optimisation miracle. Can't wait for either of those events to happen.

Upvote 0
Back in the day, I used to be a very shy, young boy, whose main goals were to take care of my family's farmsteed, and help arround our ranch, living the good old life in the west. Life was peaceful, calm and stress-free, and I loved it. I was pretty young back then, I was curious about the world, but scared of it at the same time, and that ranch was the only place where I felt safe.

It all went well, until one rainy afternoon a very old, gray-haired gentleman came by bearing gifts of the east. Thou I was suspicious of the old man's atitude, my curiosity got the best of me and I felt compeled to take a look at his wares.

Amist all the garbage, copper and silk, I found a goblet made of a very strange material, a material made of a reddish "metal" that seemed to be forged in the forges of Hell itself, but the texture, weight and reflexes were nothing like the one's I had ever seen in any metal, although I assumed this was because of my little knowing of the world's miracles outside my humble ranch. I asked the old gentleman "Sir, in the name of all that's sacred please reveal to me what this object is!".

The frail old sire looked me in the eyes, I could see his faint blue eyes, revealing that the man hed been trough much more in his life than I could ever imagine. In my antecipation, I heard the man whisper... "It's plastic, where the f*ck have you been living man?".

A few years later I bought a pc and found out about RO online.

Reactions: radix and Proud_God
Upvote 0
I used to play a UT99 mod called The Third Reich. It was very much like RO really, but on UT99, based on the western front... and a little crude and rough around the edges. Was rather good fun I have to say. Youtube has this video showing a bit about it.
The Third Reich Trailer : An Unreal Tournament Mod - YouTube

Anyway, when UT2003 came out and work was started on porting TTR, I saw a forum thread about a mod called red orchestra with a screenshot. Many laughed and said it would just end up being a pale imitation of TTR. And well, look how it played out. TTR never got finished on UT2003 as far as I'm aware, where as RO turned out awfully well and I started playing it around version 1.1 or there abouts.

So yeah, I guess that makes me old and stuff :p

Upvote 0
I used to play a UT99 mod called The Third Reich. It was very much like RO really, but on UT99, based on the western front... and a little crude and rough around the edges. Was rather good fun I have to say. Youtube has this video showing a bit about it.
The Third Reich Trailer : An Unreal Tournament Mod - YouTube

Anyway, when UT2003 came out and work was started on porting TTR, I saw a forum thread about a mod called red orchestra with a screenshot. Many laughed and said it would just end up being a pale imitation of TTR. And well, look how it played out. TTR never got finished on UT2003 as far as I'm aware, where as RO turned out awfully well and I started playing it around version 1.1 or there abouts.

So yeah, I guess that makes me old and stuff :p

Oh sh*t, TTR, I remember. That game was hardcore as hell!

Upvote 0
I took attention about Red Orchestra for first time in 2009, when gameplay of RO2:HoS with developer commentary has appeared on GameTrailers. I liked the things I've heard about the realistic weapon usage, the way they interact with the environment, as well as ability to use both cover system and old good lean.

I also heard about some features being improvements over RO:Ostfront, so I've decided to try it and got it on a closest Steam sale. It was hard to learn how to play it, and I never completely did it. Small community mostly consisting of veteran players and a lot of servers with bots discouraged me. However I still played it from time to time, awaiting RO2.

Upvote 0
Steam advertised RO, I liked the trailer, I liked games with vehicles...

Pre-ordered it mostly because I wanted something different, at at that time, Battlefield2 came out like 4 to 6 months just before... and I was sick of the bunny hopping daulphin divers... And battlefield also refused my ti4200 that was quite capable... (lack of pixel shader support)...

Long story short, RO got my attention...

The first time I played it... I was thinking it's a cheep *** game... felt very clunky.

As I bought it... and everyone on the forum were so welcoming, so much positive energy about it... I gave it a longer chance and the better I got the more I loved it.

... now off to play ro2 for a half hour.

Upvote 0
OK, I'm going to show my age a bit now :) I had bought UT2K3, and was looking for something a bit different to the usual FPS fare. I honestly don't remember how I came across RO:CA - but I believe, it was probably via FilePlanet. I found quite a few games and mods via FP back then, before it mutated into the big filthy beast it is today :)

I also don't remember which version of RO:CA I happened across - I think it was pretty early though, and I don't remember any vehicles being in there. I'm thinking it was maybe 1.0, or pretty close - so it was probably just called RO back then? I do fondly remember the likes of Spartakovka (was this mis-spelled or are there two similar place names?), Berlin, Warsaw, Donets, Sevastopol and Ponyri. Very good times indeed :)

For some reason, my RO career faltered during the reign of RO:CA. I didn't pick up RO1 for some time, and never managed to get into it properly. I also happened across DH way too late really - early this year to be exact! - although I did get to enjoy some good DH games on the few servers still running and populated, but I got a bit sick of people voting for Omaha :) lol

DH did however re-ignite my interest in RO2, and here we are. While it may not be the game many people were hoping for, I have to say I usually enjoy playing it. I have bad games, but mostly it's great fun and I definitely don't regret buying it. I am hoping that we can have the requested "genuinely hardcore mode", be it via fully tweakable server settings across the board or, if it absolutely has to be, via a well-crafted mod. I would prefer not to see the community sliced and diced though - so I hope TWI helps us out with that one :)

Upvote 0
I remember waiting in endless queues to download RO mod from fileplanet or whatever when there was launched an update ! Slow *** download after you've been waiting for hours in queues. Multiple times if something went wrong :p

Started playing with the mod for UT2k4 (RO:CA 3.0 iirc) and since then I cant play any other FPS.

Upvote 0