• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What am i doing wrong

zephkiel

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
Hello.

Yesterday, i leveled up my 2nd perk to level 6. it was support.
The first i leveled to 6 was Sharpshooter.

All the other perks are level 4. So i told myself "i'll level commando next, its a crapload of fun"
Because, you know, i really like assaut rifle in all game i play.
So i take commando again, not even thinking how its a pain to level (<.<) and doing a random map on hard long, solo, to take the hang of it again (i always play with a friend, but i dont want to be useless), thinking it will be easy.
i know commando is not meant to solo, but hell, what a ride.

Compared to sharp or support, its weapon are less accurate while being less powerful.
Firebug seems to have more or less the same role while being more effective at it.

i'm not spraying like mad, i always do headhost as much as i can, but the killrate is very low compared to the perks mentionned above.

So is there something i must know to play commando well?

Commando and Firebug are supposed to kill only small ZED's. I will tell u how i use Commando, first of all my gear is AK47, SCAR and 2 pipes. AK is set up for auto fire and i use it only if SCAR ammo is over or when i need fast to switch weapon becouse of many ZEDs, SCAR is on semi-auto and i shot in heads of clots, gorefists, stalkers, bloats and crawlers. On sirens and husks i switch SCAR for auto to fast kill them from closer distance. When it comes to Scrakes , better leave them to someone else but if u really wanna kill them, u see their health bar so u should find out when they start to rage, than u shot them in head to the moment moment before they rage than u reload switch to auto fire and put half-whole clip from close distance. Pipes i mentioned earlier are on FP when i see walking fp i drop the pipe before him when he walks on it, start shooting him in the head before pipe even blows up (one pipe + clip will finish the buisness, if not than dont reload scar but switch to AK). On suicidal or Hoe better dont touch Scrakes and FP's if theres someone who can get them easier its waste of ammo and ur armor/health, but on lvl 6 u can take them down (but it takes to long and to much effort u can kill more trash in this time). Whats important for commando is to lern to single-bullet-headshot ZED's, u need to work on ur accuracy from SCAR, commando is biggest frag collector in game imo.

Hope that it will help u some, sry for my bad english.

Reactions: HalfDemon
Upvote 0
Hello Necro :)

Thanks for the answer.
Seems its the way i'm already playing, minus the pipebomb (expensiiiiiive).
SCAR got too much recoil so i put it on semi auto, and AK on full auto for close range rampage.

Anyway, even with that, i can help thinking that the commando's firepower is meh compared to others :( perhaps its all the recoil generated by its weapon. And i need to control it more.

Well ill go back to train with it more.
Training make perfect...maybe.

Upvote 0
Actually Commando is probably one of the most effective perks in the game if used right, the "small zeds" claim is false potatos, but I can see how he got his assumption.

Commando is fast, and its precise. You can headshot and decap an easy to medium horde in one clip if you're good enough.

Its all to do with what difficulty you play, if you're a level 4 playing HOE, you are going to get bum loved in an epic sense. Anything from a Clot to a Bloat you'll still kill easy, but a Siren upwards you'll struggle.

Use your tiers, I usually go for AK & Scar, AK for your smaller specimens, Scar for your big boys. AK will take a Siren, it does good damage to a Husk but not enough to see you through. So Husk upwards Scar. And always hit a headshot, body shots will just run your ammo down.

Now I know you'll start with a Bull, same theory as before, use your tiers, Bull can take clots up to bloats, you'll struggle with sirens so get an AK for them. And just work your way to the Scar.

Commando is a powerful perk if used correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see what you mean

I foresee the commando power curve to have a better progression than the firebug's.
So i guess i'll have to take it to level 6 before judging it. I'm sure the recoil reduction is what will make this perk enjoyable...
i'm training on Hard difficulty for now, i can't do better as commando (lvl 4)

Thank you for your reply, too.

Upvote 0
Using AK as ur main weapon while keeping SCAR only for big ones is wrong imo, SCAR has lots of ammo, even on 6 ppl HoE using all ammo u have is something that not happens often. AK has bigger recoil and for trash control SCAR is much better choice. On Semi-auto SCAR is for me main weapon, if u have decent team u hardly even use AK. Bullpup is out of question, when u hit lvl 6 and start as commando with AK i can forget about it and just buy in 2nd or 3rd wave SCAR to have AK-SCAR combo.

Hunter- its not a false, i did not say that commando cant handle with Scrakes and FP's but on higher diffs like suicidal or HoE it's pointless to do if u dont need couse thers SS or Support/Demo to do that. Commando is for crowd control not to act as hero to take head on scrakes. Something like is tottally wrong, its waste of time to do same as u would shot to single clots from LAW as demo, u can do this, but for what purpose ?

My advice is: as commando semi-suto SCAR on clot, gorefists, crawlers, stalkers and bloats, full auto for husks and sirens. Scrakes and FP shouldnt be touched by commando if its not needed (if theres someone who will deal with it much faster and more effective).

Reactions: HuNteR-
Upvote 0
My advice is: as commando semi-suto SCAR on clot, gorefists, crawlers, stalkers and bloats, full auto for husks and sirens. Scrakes and FP shouldnt be touched by commando if its not needed (if theres someone who will deal with it much faster and more effective).

I respect what your saying, but in reality, it comes down to whoever is controlling the character.

For me, your advice is a step backwards, If I was to play how you advise, I would almost certainly die.

The difference between me and you, I'm a leader, you're a follower, you won't use all of your ammo because I have used all of mine, you're the type of player that sits in the back taking out the bits and pieces, I'm the type of player thats not even in the tunnel, I'm out in front, putting boot to ar$e so you can survive.

So with that being said, it depends how you play, it depends on difficulty and it depends on your perk level.

Bullpup, AK47 and SCAR are all very useful weapons, no matter what perk level or difficulty, it depends on who is using them.

EDIT: 400th post

Reactions: Gartley
Upvote 0
I respect what your saying, but in reality, it comes down to whoever is controlling the character.

For me, your advice is a step backwards, If I was to play how you advise, I would almost certainly die.

The difference between me and you, I'm a leader, you're a follower, you won't use all of your ammo because I have used all of mine, you're the type of player that sits in the back taking out the bits and pieces, I'm the type of player thats not even in the tunnel, I'm out in front, putting boot to ar$e so you can survive.

So with that being said, it depends how you play, it depends on difficulty and it depends on your perk level.

Bullpup, AK47 and SCAR are all very useful weapons, no matter what perk level or difficulty, it depends on who is using them.

This is 100% correct. Im a Commando fanatic and it's my favourite perk by far (with Sharpshooter but that is too easy for me to think it as a challenge at all). I prefer to be up and infront taking on what I can. Semi-automatic is best on the SCAR for all but the Scrake/Flesh Pound. For Scrakes (if you was to take one on - usually 1v1 and maybe solo, any difficulty) you shoot a few semi-auto shots and it's head. When it's close enough (already charging), crouch and shoot the hell out of the face. if you do this right (and depend on difficulty) you can take him out really easily. A huge help for accuracy, CROUCH! When you crouch you gain an extra 25-35% less lost accuracy when spraying.

Reactions: HuNteR-
Upvote 0
Pretty much everything is covered by others, but I like answering this question, so bollocks, I'll answer anyway :)

My view of the Commando and Firebug is they are classes designed for mob control.

Since we are comparing them to Sharpshooter and Support, these 2 classes are high damage classes, they can take out almost anything in the game on their own. The problem is the accuracy required for the Sharpshooter and the limited range and reload times of the Support puts them in a difficult spot if they are constantly under pressure from certain combinations of Zeds. This means that although they are powerful, they can get overrun by larger hoards pushing on them all at the same time.

The Commando and Firebug however both have large clips/stockpiles of ammo, are not so restricted by range, reload times and accuracy issues, allowing them to comfortably deal with constant pressure from small range zeds. Ofc each has their weaknesses, Commandos will struggle under Husk fire and meatshielded Sirens, and can find the low down crawlers awkward from time to time, whereas the Firebug will find Gorefast pushes and Stalker swarms a bit more of a pain.

So although the Commando and Firebug don't accel at tackling the larger zeds on their own, their ability to deal constant, steady damage makes them much better at taking regular low tier pressure... thats of course the theory... in reality Support can do that anyway :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
My view of the Commando and Firebug is they are classes designed for mob control.

The advantage Commando has over Firebug is that it can be used as a tactical assault perk.

You're 100% correct, both are fantastic at crowd control, but Commando can be used as tactical assault. Firebug just sprays, anything it hits, it lights them up like a christmas tree. Commando can be used as a spray, or it can be used as a precise, tactical assault perk too, you can hit headshots from the same distance an SS can.

Again I have to go back to, it depends who is playing, for me Commando is far more effective overall than the SS, the only reason SS is useful is because the xbow can headshot FPs, other than that its down and out.

The all rounder is what you said though, Support, that perk is a one man wrecking crew, crowd control, blunt force, high damage, you just dont need to be tactical with support, just shoot.

Upvote 0

In my opinion u'r the one who's wrong here, im not follower, i prefere to run solo and take as much ZEDs i can when i play 4 fun, stick with team only when somebody asks for help with getting an achievement. Commando is not perk who should take down Scrakes and FP's i did not say it can't do that, hell im doing it myself, but it takes too much effort to do this, i prefere to leave 1 scrake to someone who will handle it in 2sec and kill myself 15 other ZEDs than shot 2 clips, rage him and have a chance to get hit and lose armor. Everybody should know place of their selected perk, and Commando is not the one who should take Scrakes and FP's above hard diff. On hard u can do whatever u like to as lvl 6 couse its not a challange for any perk but above u should leave big guys to someone who should take them down fast and without any danger for others. Im not person who plays KF since yesterday, its not like im writing here random stuff. People have diffrent tactics, diffrent styles of playing but on HoE it all comes to everybody know their place in a team, couse u cant solo it as a commando same way as a zerker.

Upvote 0
Everybody should know place of their selected perk.

Its not about knowing the place of the perk, its about knowing what that perk can do. This guy isn't talking about teamplay if you read his first post, so he needs the ins and outs of the perks abilities, telling him to let an SS take the FP's on solo aint gunna help mate.

On hard u can do whatever u like to as lvl 6 couse its not a challange

Now see, thats a bad way to look at it, thats a know it all way. You must always respect the difficulty. During the halloween event, the achievement was beat Bedlam on Hard, I watched level 6 after level 6 get destroyed attempting that acheivement.

Just because you're a level 6 doesn't make you god on Hard and below, it gives you an advantage, but if you can't utilise that advantage, your doomed.

Know the perk, not the level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow bedlam on hard, i found that so easy :/

Anyhow, i'm interested as much as how the commando can fare in solo and in teamplay.
i play solo, and in duo with my friend.

So any input is appreciated, even if its true that at first, my concern were following a solo game, i admit.

What about crouching and accuracy btw?

Upvote 0
If crouching does improve your accuracy I've never noticed it, its not really enough of an improvement that you can't get along without it.

The only real uses of crouching is to get an alternative field of fire to kill crawlers amoungst the crowd (esp as Firebug and Support), to clip on ledges so you don't fall off, and for advanced players simultaneously hitting through the body and face of a target to increase overall damage (mainly seen as Support vs. Scrakes).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How i play commando:
SCAR+AK47
I find a chokepoint to guard, usually a flank, keeping away the small zeds, only zeds i don't kill are the scrake and the fleshie, killing them aint my job.

If someone yells 'fp' or 'scr' i get back to my teammates and start picking off any small zeds that are near those big guys, this is how a commando should help fighting against fp's, scrakes.

I use the SCAR as my primary, since it has lots of ammo and on hard, i hardly (yeaaaaaah) run out of ammo on that weapon. I know the recoil is kinda big, but here's how i control it: aiming down the sight burst fire at long ranges, aiming down the sight full auto or burst (depending on the zed and their count), close range - either full auto or burst without aiming.

Upvote 0
Something just tickle me : does crouching increse accuracy realy?
I thought it didnt, unlike game like CS etc.

If crouching does improve your accuracy I've never noticed it, its not really enough of an improvement that you can't get along without it.
I can prove it if you really want? I have always used this tactic for commando for longer distances. I also have found the code for it while I had been looking around in the KF source.

Upvote 0
I'm very interested.

not that i trust / dont trust anyone here.
i'm just wanting to know more of the mechanics of the game.
in the code, could you highlit me the interesting part? and what it does in depht?
i've sometimes seen bunch of code pasted here but i understand nothing beyond goodsense (like multiplier etc)

edit : after all, the thread is asking what i am doing wrong. if crouching works, its something i do wrong, and that i should correct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0