• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ideas on how to kick the tanks back in action.

Honestly, after 3 weeks of the release of RO2, all combined arms, and anything to do with tanks have been toggled OFF by server admins, it's just too horrible to have tanks now, and here's the primary reasons (they may vary from person):

1: The AI hull gunner. I know TWI has tried to fix the accuracy, and vision through smoke on these nasty beast, but honestly, it is just too brutal. Find a nice enough spot and your AI can mow down everything in it's path at a more than fitting distance.

Solution?: My idea to fix this is to totally remove the AI hull gunner from solo tanks period. It's just too much firepower for the style of play. It's enough of a challenge for 4-6 people on a team to take out a tank with AT grenades, and the weak AT rifles, while the tank has armor, replacable crew, a main gun, a coaxial, AND the hull gunner.

2: The spawning rate. This, can honestly be fixed without changing much. Here's the deal, on combine arms maps, the tanks are supposed to provide the infantry with support, will defending themselves, it's a teamwork kind of style gameplay. But there is no teamwork involved. The tanks spawn along with the infantry, meaning if you finally kill that PZIV, it'll just be around the corner in about less than 35 seconds, barley giving you time to resupply your crew, and support your troops.

Solution?: Here's two things you can do to really balance out the tank play. For one, make the tank spawns a bit further back in the map, make a road leading out of the battlefield if you have to, just so it can take longer for them to actually get into battle. This can be similar to the way the ROOST map, Konigsplatz was. It can also 'simulate' tanks entering the actual battlezone which is better than having a big ol' lug of metal spawn right next to the infantry. This will give a bit more sense of immersion and give the players inside the tank a bit of a moment to say their prayers and plot out where to go ;P

And two, make the tank spawns seperate from infantry, default like a minute and a half. This along with the road to battle can make tanks important asset to see on the battlefield. A entire one and a half or two minutes can make a huge difference when one tank is missing from a side. Allowing the other to push up and wreck the enemy troops.

Well, how about it guys (and devs) does this sound promising with a bit of tweaking? Comments? Questions?

IMO I think this would add a more smooth style of gameplay just like how the reduction of assualts and elites did.

Last edited:
Honestly, after 3 weeks of the release of RO2, all combined arms, and anything to do with tanks have been toggled OFF by server admins, it's just too horrible to have tanks now, and here's the primary reasons (they may vary from person):

1: The AI hull gunner. I know TWI has tried to fix the accuracy, and vision through smoke on these nasty beast, but honestly, it is just too brutal. Find a nice enough spot and your AI can mow down everything in it's path at a more than fitting distance.

Solution?: My idea to fix this is to totally remove the AI hull gunner from solo tanks period. It's just too much firepower for the style of play. It's enough of a challenge for 4-6 people on a team to take out a tank with AT grenades, and the weak AT rifles, while the tank has armor, replacable crew, a main gun, a coaxial, AND the hull gunner.

I'm personally not up for removal of the AI Machine Gunner as on a number of levels, it doesn't make sense.

One solution I could see being done to help things is to reduce the range the AI MG can track players, so that they only shoot at people 20 feet or less from the tank (close/medium range) and to delay the AI's attacks by 3-5 seconds per target.

If you could also increase the cone of accuracy of the AI gunner, that could help a lot too... so that it's not so much like a rail gun head shooting people, but it's more of a wide spread of rounds.

2: The spawning rate. This, can honestly be fixed without changing much. Here's the deal, on combine arms maps, the tanks are supposed to provide the infantry with support, will defending themselves, it's a teamwork kind of style gameplay. But there is no teamwork involved. The tanks spawn along with the infantry, meaning if you finally kill that PZIV, it'll just be around the corner in about less than 35 seconds, barley giving you time to resupply your crew, and support your troops.

Solution?: Here's two things you can do to really balance out the tank play. For one, make the tank spawns a bit further back in the map, make a road leading out of the battlefield if you have to, just so it can take longer for them to actually get into battle. This can be similar to the way the ROOST map, Konigsplatz was. It can also 'simulate' tanks entering the actual battlezone which is better than having a big ol' lug of metal spawn right next to the infantry. This will give a bit more sense of immersion and give the players inside the tank a bit of a moment to say their prayers and plot out where to go ;P

Agreed.... FallenFighters seems to have a good balance of this, where the tanks spawn further back from the action and away from the infantry.

I have no issues with this.

And two, make the tank spawns seperate from infantry, default like a minute and a half. This along with the road to battle can make tanks important asset to see on the battlefield. A entire one and a half or two minutes can make a huge difference when one tank is missing from a side. Allowing the other to push up and wreck the enemy troops.

The only reason why I can't approve of this part is because of the imbalance between the T34 and Panzer, in that it's way too easy to blow up T34's by targeting the turret and killing the Commander almost every time.... so you arrive on the battlefield and one good shot to the turret and you're dead, waiting to spawn for another minute, then drive to the battlefield and then get shot in the turret again.

If the T34 is beefed up a bit more in defence, than I probably wouldn't have an issue with this.

I don't mind the long drive to the battlefield idea you mentioned, but not in combination with an extensive spawn wait.

Now now, I know even I wouldn't want to wait an entire minute and a half to get back in my tank, so here's my sub solution to that:

- Have the everyone in the tank spawn along with infantry, as infantry, with basic rifles. When the 2 minutes or however long the tank spawner is, the tank will spawn far back off the map, and all the crew members have the ability to press "k" to suicide their infantry they were playing as, and instantly plop inside thier tank, ready for battle, without having to be bored.

Two problems:

#1 - What class would they spawn as by default? Riflemen?? Perhaps.....

#2 - Suicide would only take your reinforcement tickets down faster and could affect the overall gameplay when you have several members of your team doing this each time they died..... they'd basically end up taking two reinforcement tickets per life in most cases.

Well, how about it guys (and devs) does this sound promising with a bit of tweaking? Comments? Questions?

IMO I think this would add a more smooth style of gameplay just like how the reduction of assualts and elites did.

Well I don't approve of the AI MG'er being removed completely, but if it can be somehow made more stupid and less accurate, that should solve a lot of issues with that.

I do approve of the spawning further away from the battlefield but not for a longer respawn time.... doing both of those at the same time would only make players use tanks even less, due to waiting to play more and actually playing less.... boredom.

I believe the main problem with the tanks is the imbalance between the damage each tank takes, where T34's seem to blow up way to easily by shooting the turret and killing the commander..... I find the weakest spot on the T34 turret is the frontal area where the cannon is located, which sucks since you need to aim/look right at the other tank to shoot it, which at the same time, exposes your weak spot for a quick kill.

I end up having to turn my turret away from my target, wait for them to shoot, then aim and shoot back, then turn my turret away again in order to survive longer..... it's a pain in the butt.

Some have said you need to use speed to your advantage with the T34, but on most current maps, such as FallenFighters and Com's House, there's not much room in most areas to use speed to keep yourself moving, and while it might make it harder for the Panzer to hit you, it also reduces your own accuracy of shooting back at them.

Nerf the AI MG'er and try to balance the tanks a bit better and I think more people will be willing to use them and have them on maps.

Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm personally not up for removal of the AI Machine Gunner as on a number of levels, it doesn't make sense.

I guess it doesn't for realism terms. But that doesn't mean a human can still man it, which is just as effective.

One solution I could see being done to help things is to reduce the range the AI MG can track players, so that they only shoot at people 20 feet or less from the tank (close/medium range) and to delay the AI's attacks by 3-5 seconds per target.

If you could also increase the cone of accuracy of the AI gunner, that could help a lot too... so that it's not so much like a rail gun head shooting people, but it's more of a wide spread of rounds.

I guess this is a pretty great solution, I still don't enjoy AI mixed in with multiplayer games, doesn't mix in well.

Agreed.... FallenFighters seems to have a good balance of this, where the tanks spawn further back from the action and away from the infantry.

I have no issues with this.

The only reason why I can't approve of this part is because of the imbalance between the T34 and Panzer, in that it's way too easy to blow up T34's by targeting the turret and killing the Commander almost every time.... so you arrive on the battlefield and one good shot to the turret and you're dead, waiting to spawn for another minute, then drive to the battlefield and then get shot in the turret again.

If the T34 is beefed up a bit more in defence, than I probably wouldn't have an issue with this.

I do have to agree, beef up the T34 please. I would help with this solution well ^_^

I don't mind the long drive to the battlefield idea you mentioned, but not in combination with an extensive spawn wait.

I always thought people liked those nice drives across maps in tanks and halftracks, looking for battle... Glad to see someone agrees ^_^

Two problems:

#1 - What class would they spawn as by default? Riflemen?? Perhaps.....

Yeah I mean we aren't going to give them smgs... Bolts for all of them!

#2 - Suicide would only take your reinforcement tickets down faster and could affect the overall gameplay when you have several members of your team doing this each time they died..... they'd basically end up taking two reinforcement tickets per life in most cases.

Well it wouldn't really be 'suicide' sorry for wording that wrong, they'd just kinda move thier souls into the tank crew, no penalty required. And if they are wounded, it counts as a ticket.

I do approve of the spawning further away from the battlefield but not for a longer respawn time.... doing both of those at the same time would only make players use tanks even less, due to waiting to play more and actually playing less.... boredom.

Well that's kind of where the whole spawning as a riflemen solution would come into play...

Just my opinion though.
And I appreciate them =3

Responses in red. BTW I didn't dislike your post >.>

Reactions: aD.Luoson
Upvote 0
I have no problem with a AI hull gunner. It is a Tank and any half decent player will be a s good as the AI hull gunner, and Tank players need a hull gunner... otherwise no one would use the tanks because they can not do 3 roles at once.

In a perfect world we would no need AI hull gunner....there would be fully crewed tanks... but while there are not.... keep the AI gunner.

I like your spawn ideas.... but i think there is a easier way.

Just have a set amount of tanks per map. Allocate say 7 tanks to a round.... no spawn limits.

This would be alot more realistic.
If a battle begins in real life you can only have so many tanks before they run out.

And if you have no re-spawn time limits it gives a better impression of blitzkreig push..concentrated force mobile warfare.

And if you wanted to go further, have a 7 tank limit and when they run out you may have one tank every 10 minutes or similar more fro defence purposes.

I think this would work great.

Reactions: Das Bose and THD
Upvote 0
As I put in another post, until they remove ALL AI from the tanks not a chance in hell they will ever be seen on our server, either a tank has a full human crew or they are not wanted.

It would also help if there were some more effective AT weaponry, the AT rifles are fairly useless, maybe giving the Engineers some AT mines might help, normal infantry being able to climb onto the back of the tank open the hatch and throw a nade in, that would be good, but as they are now, never

This is supposed to be a game based on realism, I don't remember ever hearing of auto firing bots during WW2.

Upvote 0
TBH if the one map thats a tank map was not so poor and they had even simply copied Arad back in I think more people would be using them.

The current map is really bad compared to the rest of the game. It worrys me that this larger map is totally devoid of details and atmosphere. Is it a limitation of the game engine as maps get bigger the graphical content has to be kept low.

Upvote 0
T34 and Panzer, in that it's way too easy to blow up T34's by targeting.......if the T34 is beefed up a bit more in defence, than I probably wouldn't have an issue with this.
The problem with this statement is that the KwK 40 was put in the Panzer IV specifically to get through the T-34's "defence". On a related note, I think the devs should really hire Amizaur to redo the tanks ballistics from scratch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the ROOST map Konigsplatz there were two Russian tanks (t-85s?) and one German Tiger. They'd each spawn far away from infantry, as they should. The tiger had to go down a long stretch of road to get to battle. And that map was really balanced.

I think the addition of special roads for tanks and maybe longer spawn times (I know everyone has mixed feelings about that) AND the removal of AI crew would help kick the combined arms gameplay style back into action.

I hope you're reading this, TWI.

Upvote 0
I'd also vote against AI in any form except maybe the driver, as it's not really AI.

There were many times I played as tank commander just scanning the horizon just to have my gunner start turning the turret, pointing to an enemy tank that just a second ago was hidden behind a house. There is no chance that guy would've seen the tank otherwise as the turret was pointing in a different direction.

Also, having an AI gunner/ hull MG makes player stacking - a nonsense. There's just no point to have multiple players in a tank, it's just much more efficient to have AI. This is also amplified by the fact that when a 2 player tank is hit, and the non-commander player is killed, he is teleported out of the tank, and can't take any remaining roles, and has to wait till the tank is destroyed (and no, I couldn't respawn after entering the ressuply area).

I'd suggest leaving all the shooting to human players. The only "AI" functionality should be the ability to drive the tank using WASD while being a tank-commander/gunner.

Upvote 0
Vote:

Set the AI out of order. AI (aimbot) is really a no-go in a mp-battle!

I like to see the old tank system back, do all alone or allow other player to join your tank.
A Option "invite a friend" would be fine for a locked tank.

And WASD for the turret control would be nice ;)

The tanks in RO2 need a complete check up.

some facts:

- You don

Last edited:
Upvote 0