• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2: Ostfront 1941-1945 (or Heroes of the Eastern Front)

The whole Stalingrad feeling just isn't there at all for me, not even talking about gameplay features, where's the cold? Everybody is running around like it's summer. Do something with voices on winter maps, and if you stand still make your character do stuff to warm himself, whatever, just show that it is actually cold. Dress people up with decent winter clothing, especially Germans who improvised all sorts of things, not just ninja masks.

Every town looks like it's been hit by a small mortar and a hurricane past through, it should look like something which was hit by multiple huge bomber raids with bombs as heavy as 2000 Kg. On top of that the massive use of artillery and ground/buildings battered by ground attack aircraft ( IL2 Stuka ect.).
I think it's an interesting thing to discuss. The maps certainly look the part visually, and overall I rather like the graphics in RO2 -- they remind me of the grittiness that I used to love in RO mod (before Ro1). So I have to disagree with you there on the visuals. It's important to remember that Stalingrad took place in the last few warm weeks of summer and fall before the brutal winter set in, and I think most of the maps do a good job of setting the scene for the battle during its various points.

That said, I think it's the speed of the gameplay that makes RO2 feel less "grounded" and gameplay less gritty and brutal feeling. In RO2 I can bound up stairs at lightning speed, whip around corners and stop my character and make sudden turns on a dime, and magically bandage myself in one second and continue running as if nothing happened. All of these kinds of things damage immersion and make the player feel less like a real soldier with real limitations and more like a fantasy. That isn't to say RO2 isn't realistic in many ways, but its those other big things that take away from the overall experience and gameplay.

A couple of days ago, I decided to play some Ro1, and was amazed at just how different the pace of the game is. Obviously it lacks some of the smoothness-of-movement refinements made in RO2, but in general the game felt much more gritty, brutal, and down-to-earth. My character's speed was limited, I couldn't pull off super long range shots extremely easily (by holding down shift ;)), and I generally felt like the slower pace of combat led to more protracted engagements. I found myself in situations where I would be trading shots with enemies over distance and not getting instantly sniped out all the time -- in other words, there were firefights!

It seems as though RO2 was made, on some level, with the intent for this kind of slower-paced gameplay which it doesn't achieve. Otherwise, why else would they have included something like blindfire? Unfortunately it doesn't have much of a place in Ro2 where you could easily use your perfect aim to just 1 shot an enemy than bother with suppression fire. But I could see where if TWI made some changes, firefights could return to RO2 once more.

Though I've rambled on lots of different things, I think it's RO2's very fast paced combat that makes it feel less grounded in reality, and generally less gritty. The pitched fighting in Stalingrad, like most urban battles in WWII, were protracted attrition battles where entrenched forces fought one another to gain mere yards. Sprinting around like a Kenyan runner all the time around the game's maps in a somewhat Quake-like fashion doesn't inspire this historical image in my mind in ways that RO1's urban slugfests did.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldslowguy
Upvote 0
Ok it's official now, all these whining posts have killed forum for me. Can't be bothered to try and find meaningful posts instead of this repeated and constant whining about same issues over and over again.
I'm gonna play the game for sure, I really like it, but not visit this forum anymore.
Actually this whining seems to be the norm nowdays on almost any gaming forum.

Thanks TWI and bye my fellow forum members.

Reactions: HLudwig
Upvote 0
I can see things from both sides of the argument, and have a little sympathy for both, but to be honest it is only a little, a reality check is needed for both sides I think.

Firstly the original ROOST players, wanted the same game as ROOST, and didn't realise there would be differences to the original game, really? So tell me about the huge expansive area's in Stalingrad where these huge open combined battles took place? Stalingrad was a besieged city with a lot of close quarter combat, there were not large open areas for full on armoured division combat. Most of the tank engagements were outside of Stalingrad as the Russian forces tried desperately to break through in to the surrounded city, not in the actual city. In urban combat, you are mostly entrenched, and when you do make a move you make it fast all out assault otherwise you are just picked off. There was now way that TWI could make the combat like ROOST and keep it in touch with the reality of the battle for Stalingrad.

Secondly, while the RO community have been loyal to the franchise over the years, some coming through the mod stage up to and including the final release of RO:OST, how many of you do you think there are? 1000? 2000? Making a game that just appeals to those core fans would achieve one thing and one thing only TWI going out of business. TWI is a company, yes they are gamers and modders at heart, but it is still a business and to survive it has to sell units, and appealing to a very small number is not sufficient. They HAVE to expand their target audience, they have to encourage more people to buy the game. Other development houses have gone towards cross platform gaming to ensure their viability, to TWI credit they didn't, they stuck with being a PC only developer, but the PC games market has a much smaller demographic than the console market, so they needed to ensure the maximum appeal.

Having said that, TWI have made quite a few errors, both technically and game play wise that have alienated many people, both their core fans and newcomers alike, some have been forced upon them by the restrictions of the unreal engine, some were just poor development choices.

Releasing the game so full of bugs and idiotic mistakes is quite unforgivable really, the constant crashes people had when first starting to play, often made the game unplayable for a lot of people. It may be a learning curve, but they should of known better. I understand they have a deadline, contractual agreements to fulfil but they should of realised at least 6 months before that they were not going to make their deadline with the game and delayed it.

Then we come to the game play its self, it is really quite mediocre on the whole, there is so little variety that it becomes boring after a while, the 3 game types supplied really feels like 1.5 games types. CD and TE are very similar in the way they play, both are just variations of capture the area with slightly different rules sets for each, as for FF it is so bad I don't think anyone plays it at all. Half of the things hat were promised in the pre release just are not there and this leaves people feeling ripped off.

Then there are other issues that are just baffling, the use of XAudio 2 instead of OpenAL for the sound? I mean really guys? All the immersion that sound brings in a game is completely lost, this also makes the game play a lot faster, when you enter a building in any other game, you are careful, crouched trying to be as quiet as possible, but in this game you just sprint around because yo know no one will hear you, there is no noise tension, well apart for your avatar having an inclination to scream out wildly for no apparent reason.

The adding of unrealistic weapons in a game supposedly based on its realism roots, whilst done to appeal to a new audience just didn't work. The whole unlock system, again probably done to appeal to the more main stream players is just rather haphazard and useless for the most part, and in no way adds anything to the realism debate, I mean kill 2 - 3000 people and get a black grip on your Walther? Wow can't wait to do that...

Classes that have no real function in the game, the engineer class for example, the engineer could be game changing if it was implemented correctly, opening new routes, destroy access routes that the attackers use, but nope, his only use is to blow up tanks if he can live long enough to get near one, all the objects he can blow up are irrelevant to the game and not needed.

There are so many area's TWI fumbled the ball it is untrue, they have tried to make everyone happy and as a result have made no one happy (well very few at least) Can they pull it out of the bag and save it? To be honest I am not sure they can, the drop of of actual players is getting really bad, Just checked the steam stats, 240 players online , peak of just over 800, this just goes to show how insipid the game play is, it doesn't have the adrenalin fuelled rush around of CoD like games, nor does it have the tactical stealthy approach of the original ROOST, sort of stuck in the no man's land of mediocrity.

I am one of the minority that likes the way the game plays, the pace of movement, the weapon feel, but even as a staunch supporter within my clan, I cannot fail to see the lack of content, the lack of variation. I have a lot a sympathy for games designers, having helped to design two games myself (Lost Patrol, and Flight of the Intruder on the Amega for any of you old enough to remember them) but when I look at RO:HoS I don't see a professionally designed game, it has no polish, it is bugged, its game play is flawed, there are a ton of level design issues and that has turned many away from this game, yes they can fix it over time, but it should of been right in the first place.

TWI have modding roots, and it shows fully in this game, they are still working with that modded mentality rather than with a game making mentality, I love what the guys are attempting to do at TWI, but sometimes you have to just accept your limitations and hire the right people to help fulfil the roles you cannot do, and sadly game design seems to be one of those things that TWI are struggling with

Upvote 0
Good post mate . Unfortunately not many share ur opinion about gameplay . I agree that warfare in Stalingrad was similar like in ww 1. Intese house and street fights . The battle plan was a city plan and not from a country . PPl fought for every meter for every piece of cover for every building room . . . German was able to conquer poland in 28 days and france in 38 days but after 28 days ins talingrad geermany conquered only few buildings . So guys wake up and face reality . The dynamic gameplay , close combat urban street fights reflect the battle in stalingrad.
Regards
Billy

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
To many, No, Answers.. On the only thing you give a **** about..
Wont waste money on an other RO 2 failure ... Waiting for feedback on it.

the game is 50% off at the moment...you dont want feedback, you just want to believe the butthurt gloom and doom crowd....Ro2 is a good game that will be a great game at some point!

Reactions: [Splat]= Zocko
Upvote 0
To many, No, Answers.. On the only thing you give a **** about..
Wont waste money on an other RO 2 failure ... Waiting for feedback on it.

This written entirely to help you with your curiosity.

For stupid enough reasons I put vast amount of hours into fps games than most average players and I can say that I have more experience with fps game than most average gamers, which gave me better..insight on choosing what games are better buys and what games are relatively worse choices.

I will not go length on explaining all the details why you need or need not buy this but the fact that even the ro vets and many players abandoned the game implicit there is some problems with the game.

And from what I've seen, it's not going to be cured in the near future, not until SDK is fallen on the hands of capable modders.

Trust me, as a long time fps gamer, I'd like to tell you there's high chance that you'll regret buying this right now, as you can spend your time playing other far less frustrating games, I mean polished game.

Some here might describe complaining ppl as negative whiners, but if you spend little time to read about their claims you'll notice there is quite good amount of legitimacy behind their complaining.

And that's why so many ppl who bought this game abandoned the game as of now.

Wait about 3 months, after SDK is out.
Then there might be fantastic mods to cure the disease RO2 got and you'll most likely to like the ro2 then if you're up for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the main problem is TWI's fixation on holding our hands and giving us rewards every step of the way. When you have an upgrade system, it makes it so by the end of it, the game doesn't stand up on its own. It's not timeless when you draw the lines like that.

"The iron cross will be ours!"

How about being satisfied with the thrill of a good battle, instead of compartmentalizing everything into neat little sections where you get a sticker at the end of each?

Reactions: RoastinGhost
Upvote 0