• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] of the year [2011 Edition]

of the year [2011 Edition]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Same here, it will take something special for a mainstream game to interest me, that genre is pretty much dead to me since 2006 or so.
*insert random 'too mainstream' meme*

Also no I don't want more cod clones but I do want more creative linear experiences with great storytelling like Portal 2. Too many open world games for me atm.

Also, I think Deus Ex: HR while probably not GOTY still was an amazing achievement because it is the first worthy Deus Ex game after 10 years. Just finished The Missing Link and it reminded me of what a great experience that game is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't really enjoyed any mainstream titles this year which is why I said that.

Same here. Out of that list I'd probably go with BF3 when (if) I eventually get a copy. Origin + the clumsy menu system are just atrocious. The game was actually on sale, I was thinking of getting it, but the poor implementation of an otherwise nice game made me not jump on that deal. BFBC2's menu system worked great. :p

Upvote 0
With RO2 it's still too early to call is a disappointment of the year for me because I only played like 2h, because I simply didn't care about the game once I played it, or in other words the game didn't make me care about it.

Don't get me wrong and please take no offence, but I find it odd that there is a self-proclaimed group of vets (not questioning seniority, in truth most do seem to have quite a history with RO; I applied the adjective "self-proclaimed" due to the fact, that the opinion of "vets" is not completely uniform, with some liking the game as it is now - with certain reservations) who have played only a few hours, or who refuse to play and have thus not experienced the process of RO2 getting better. I wrote "odd", as it's the game we've all been waiting for for years and, it appears to me, that (some of) you have not even given it an honest chance (hockeywarrior is excluded, he's logged in over 150 into the game; I reckon he made up his mind).

Because let's be honest here, RO2 is getting better with every patch release. The most recent one (21st Nov 2011) should be considered a milestone here, I reckon (I'm referring to the class limits).

If people could see beyond the "vets vs Mr Gibson" conflict (and I am able to understand the vets here, albeit - like it or not - it's TWI's game to a greater degree than it's "yours"), then the game is good. Lied to, or not, things are straightening out (as evidenced, for instance, by the latest backtracking from the poorly received release-state class limits).

No?

Upvote 0
I hopped in after the patch it's an improvement but it's not anywhere near enough. From a loudout standpoint we still have 6 squad leaders on a 32 man team. How does that make any sense at all? (at least on the server I was on, but I'm fairly sure that's standard for 64 players---can't be 100% on that though because I hadn't played in several weeks)

But the problems with the game are much more deeply rooted than just loadouts.

The only way the game can be saved is for a total and radical change of direction and I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong and please take no offence, but I find it odd that there is a self-proclaimed group of vets (not questioning seniority, in truth most do seem to have quite a history with RO; I applied the adjective "self-proclaimed" due to the fact, that the opinion of "vets" is not completely uniform, with some liking the game as it is now - with certain reservations) who have played only a few hours, or who refuse to play and have thus not experienced the process of RO2 getting better. I wrote "odd", as it's the game we've all been waiting for for years and, it appears to me, that (some of) you have not even given it an honest chance (hockeywarrior is excluded, he's logged in over 150 into the game; I reckon he made up his mind).

Because let's be honest here, RO2 is getting better with every patch release. The most recent one (21st Nov 2011) should be considered a milestone here, I reckon (I'm referring to the class limits).

If people could see beyond the "vets vs Mr Gibson" conflict (and I am able to understand the vets here, albeit - like it or not - it's TWI's game to a greater degree than it's "yours"), then the game is good. Lied to, or not, things are straightening out (as evidenced, for instance, by the latest backtracking from the poorly received release-state class limits).

No?
Doesn't have anything to do with some made-up conflict at all, for me at least. I played the game, thought it sucked, dropped it. Eventually I'll pick it up again and give it another chance.

Upvote 0
Latest RO2 patch is only very small step in good direction, still a lot of work is required to fix gameplay.

Here's the main reason why Skyrim shouldn't be GOTY on PCs.

Aware tweak that lets Skyrim recognise more than 2GB of ram on 64 bit systems has stopped working since the update.

Why Bethesda would bother with more than 2GB since consoles have only 256-512MB of RAM.

Upvote 0
I wrote "odd", as it's the game we've all been waiting for for years and, it appears to me, that (some of) you have not even given it an honest chance (hockeywarrior is excluded, he's logged in over 150 into the game; I reckon he made up his mind).

No?

I played 60 hours of it, and I felt that it got worse with every patch. At least in the first version the stats and the MKBs were not working, and was a good thing. Because that crap should have not made it into the game in the first place, so the first version was much better, even if it was more unstable.
Not counting all the basic gameplay problems that get more obvious the more you play it.

The more I played, the less I liked it, so I uninstalled it about 3 weeks ago, and I think I already gave it far too much chance. I'll be back for RS if its free (or if it pleases the vets).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
since I didn't played all the games listed here, I will vote for Battlefield 3. I'm pretty suprised how good it turned out to be. It is still Battlefield but yet again pretty different than other franchise games (btw. I would still say that BF3 is closer to BF2 than to BC2).
Dissapointment of the year: Re... nope! Duke Nukem: Forever!!! Gameplay felt like it was a game from newspaper store for 4 euros. With lots of bugs.
This year had some great titles but also quite a few dissapointments. Besides DNF I would also count Homefront, Crysis 2 and Red Orchestra 2.
Red Orchestra 2 wins in "worst community handling" and "worst launch" categories

BTW. Many people here write before launch of every pc exclusive game about how awesome and superior gameplay will be in comparison to consoles. Well, looking at Cliffs over Dover and Red Orchestra 2 and their HUGE technical problems I really understand console gamers that they are not eager to play on PC

Upvote 0
I wrote "odd", as it's the game we've all been waiting for for years and, it appears to me, that (some of) you have not even given it an honest chance (hockeywarrior is excluded, he's logged in over 150 into the game; I reckon he made up his mind).

I've played 120 hours. The thing is the game quickly becomes less enjoyable the more I play it. I think If I were to stick with it after a few months I would not want to play it ever again. So to avoid that I'm going to wait a year or so before giving it another chance, when hopefully it has gone through a more thorough metamorphosis.

I wouldnt be critical of the people who gave it up right away either. People expected it to be buggy but did not expect it to tripwires vision concerning gameplay to be so unlike RO1. Therefore even with bug fixes RO2 just didn't have enough appeal period.

I know enough about game development that gameplay and design decisions cannot be 'fixed' post release, only tweaked by the skeleton crew left to work on it.

Reactions: Moyako
Upvote 0
I've 96.5 hrs, Level 50, although I have absolutely no idea what "level 50" means, I still play.

I get my kicks playing TE on HC, or whatever it's called.

Most of the "lag", hit detection and all,.
I hope are net related.

I regret the time limits imposed on rounds & matches.
I want to loose/(lose) :D with Honor, not by the bell.

The "health kits" are rubbish.

I've always used a semi-auto (ER) Russian, so I will completley ignore this troublesome subject.

RO2 is a new game, I am trying to adapt.

No vote for the moment but I may just buy BATMAN...de.de.de.de.dede

Thats the intro music....:p

Upvote 0