• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] of the year [2011 Edition]

of the year [2011 Edition]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraKon2k

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Now that the year is coming to an end and there isn't really anything left in 2011 games-wise, it's time for the yearly GOTY poll!
I put all the major titles of 2011 up there, if I missed a game (that you feel multiple people here would vote as GOTY) feel free to point it out.

NOTE: I did not put RO2 up there ON PURPOSE, because this is afterall the TWI forum so most users(except for the group of veterans who didn't get warm with the game, myself included) would obviously vote for RO2 making the GOTY poll redundant.

For me right now it's definitely Skyrim, but I haven't played Uncharted 3 and Arkham City yet. One thing is for sure though imo: 2011 was a great year for Gaming. Kinda funny btw: Only two of those games are NOT sequels.

Last edited:
Voted for Skyrim. Not quite the level of Morrowind but far superior to Oblivion.

L.A Noire comes close, even though it's flawed it's a glimpse at the future with MotionScan.

and

Deus Ex: HR, if it wasn't for the boss battles and the end falling away. The general atmosphere and world created was superb.

Upvote 0
Disappointment of the year:
Big surprise to see you bringing this up :p Not a bad idea though. For me that would probably be RAGE. I had low expectations already for this one because of all the average previews/reviews, but boy it even hugely underwhelmed those low expecations. Didn't even bother finishing it. With RO2 it's still too early to call is a disappointment of the year for me because I only played like 2h, because I simply didn't care about the game once I played it, or in other words the game didn't make me care about it.

Upvote 0
Haven't played Arkham City, MW3 and any of the console exclusives. Tho even if I had, I think my vote would still go to Skyrim.

Even the vanilla version of Skyrim, despite its crappy UI, is very entertaining. Add to this the fact that the game supports mods and has a great mod community around it and you'll get a lot of longevity out of it.

Disappointment of the year: LA Noire.

The way the interrogation system works is, at least in my mind, absolutely retarded. You choose between 3 options, but you never really know what your character will say or ask. "Doubt" should not mean "accuse of murder". Every other gameplay mechanic (combat, driving, etc) is pretty bad as well.

Admittedly, I'm not very far into the game. But it just annoyed me and I stopped playing... then Skyrim came out and I never looked back. I might give it a go again sometime and maybe the story will keep me interested.

As for RO2, sure, a bit of a disappointment, but I'm still hoping both TW and modders will improve the game. I just hope there will be players around to play against if/when that happens.

Upvote 0
To ensure PC becomes even more of a niche platform than it already did in recent developments?

Yeah, lets just port all of the console based games to PC instead. Because we really need another CoD clone, or another fantasy themed RPG with dragons. ;)

I can't say played a game that I seriously enjoyed this year that came out this year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't really enjoyed any mainstream titles this year which is why I said that. And I've logged by far the most time into IL-2 than any other game that came out this year.

I'll probably love DCS A-10 though when I get the rig to run it. Not mainstream though really. And I do really like CMBN. (but that's super niche)

Upvote 0