• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'm a ROOST player, and what the hell is RO2?

(...)

Let's start with some features present in RO1:
- players moving as if dipped in tar
- SMGs with recoil equal to 20mm cannon
- Hipshooting targets from 200 meters or more
- Uber-godlike pwnage in close combat with bolt action sniper rifles (I've spent countles hours doing that on 24/7 Danzig servers)
- Not being able to jump over a 50cm fence
- (...)

(...)

Some features present in RO2:
- player moving like great athletic w/o any equipment able to stop momentary from spring to 0 in less than 0.01 sec.
- SMGs recoil so low that you can snipe people at 300 meters with PPsH
- Hipshooting with MG targets from 200 meters or more
- Uber-godlike pwnage in close, medium and far combat with SMGs
- Being able to aim with dead accuracy (zero sway) after 10 minutes of sprinting
- Being able to fully recover from deadly wound using a 1 second bandage
- Being able to switch or grab weapons from the ground (w/ all ammo clips) in 0.5 second
- (...)

If you want to sell game good you need to:
- advertise game everywhere releasing full action trailers that say about game as little as possible
- create very unique game, stable at release and get good scores in reviews

TWI did first thing, but they failed in creating game:
- stable
- with good performance
- w/ great graphics
- w/o huge bugs (and don't blame them for these 4 points)
- enough good /suited for RO/CoD/BF crowd

so players numbers went from ~9000 to 900 and I guess it's less than RO:O had few months after release.

Upvote 0
You can argue it's this feature or that feature but somethings driving players away in droves, to go from 12,000 at launch to 600 - 800 at peak gameing time europe in 2 months says it all, if you divide those by the 100 - 150 servers thats about you get the idea works out to 6 players to server.

I think Yosh's post says the dev's are considering changing the game, and thats a good thing, just dont leave it too long before relasing details on whats likely to be changed or we will have no player base to see if it worked.

I beleive and hope TWI will turn this around, but for christ sake now is not the time to play cards close to chest you did that on launch and look where we are now.

If your considering changes come out and say whats being looked at, if you drop it you can say least it might stop a few leaving the game.

Upvote 0
RO2 was never meant to be RO1 with better graphics (and devs stated this many times).

New game, which shares core features with RO1, but is a different game.

Then they should have called it by a new name. Calling it Red Orchestra 2 implies that it is related to the original. It isn't. It is a very different game, with very little of what made the original so appealing. The only "core features" that I see are the name and the nations involved.

Reactions: Damo
Upvote 0
hate to admit it but its true, especially the lack of players. I wish this game was harder like OST, harder to kill ppl atleast. I cant really put my finger on the problem.

But Ill admit it, Ive been playing almost nothing but BF3 since its release.
Came back to HOS for a few games other day, and the damn team was so campy and uncoordinated at Grain Ele, it killed HOS for me for another week

Upvote 0
to sell maps as DLC.

And btw you paid 50-70% the price of a normal game for this.

That's ok, because we only got 50% of a game.

.. for a business selling more copies is the thing. It's not worth them making a game to sell to the few of us who want that style of gameplay. Also, I may be missing something, but I don't think TWI get any income from people actually playing the game, so what would they care about it "dying"?

This is called Kamikaze economics. You make something flashy and seem awesome, market it, allow preordering, give cute perks and things, and so your initial sales increase.

The problem is, the next time you go to release your title, your core fanbase will think twice, and the casual gamers will likely never give RO3 a second thought, as MW: 67847 will be a solid casual arcade gaming experience.

If we talk about "realism": RO2 is more "realistic" than RO1.
If you think otherwise- I'd like to see a list of things that make RO1 more "realistic" than RO2, from those who whine about "realism".

Let's start with some features present in RO1:
- players moving as if dipped in tar
- SMGs with recoil equal to 20mm cannon
- Hipshooting targets from 200 meters or more
- Uber-godlike pwnage in close combat with bolt action sniper rifles (I've spent countles hours doing that on 24/7 Danzig servers)
- Not being able to jump over a 50cm fence
- (...)

Your whole post is straw man.

Of the things you mentioned, not one of the changes is the complaints.

I love a lot of the new changes, albeit DH made most of them years ago. (Suppression, climbing, new movements, animations, graphics, heros, honour, etc, etc etc..all major upgrades imho..even if the last few have been flops due to bot farming, over access to auto weapons, etc.)

Noone wants 20mm cannon recoil on SMGs, we just want less of them, and less dumb addons like double sticks.

Noone wants to move like we are molasses, we just don't want everyone to be able to sprint 200 yards in full gear, bunnyhop to avoid fire, and then aim perfectly still and knock off someone across the map with a ppsh or mkb like it's COD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BF3 and skyrim will keep me occupied till something in HOS is fixed. I just hope i can kick the BF3 addiction.

PS. Are there any big active clans out there still playing HOS? The random group of guys i teamed up with has seem to have disapeared, so lookin for clan that uses realistic teamwork, cover fire/maneuvering, etc

Upvote 0
BF3 and skyrim will keep me occupied till something in HOS is fixed. I just hope i can kick the BF3 addiction.

PS. Are there any big active clans out there still playing HOS? The random group of guys i teamed up with has seem to have disapeared, so lookin for clan that uses realistic teamwork, cover fire/maneuvering, etc

I was actually wondering the same thing. I was thinking 'may be if I joined a clan, it would have a better play to it'. But that may have been a wishful thinking.

Upvote 0
This endless threads are making me sick (Ro is dying, im roost player and what the hell is this, etc). Anyone is crying arround, its just another cod, it isnt realistic, its only run and gun. People accept the changes and live with them, im a Roost player too, and i have spent 100 of hours playing ro and his mods, but i have to admit that Ro2 has some better things like the weapon handling, the cover system, the player movments, the prone block (god i like it), the possibility to switch between the sights, amazing close quarter fights, etc.
Lets talk about the good old Roost: -
-The weapon handling was totaly unrealistic in Roost, the weapon sway was ridiculous, it seems you were drunk.
- The game speed was too slow, in real life and in war situations you run as hell, not like in Roost you walked arround to take a coffee.
- Stamina, real soldiers were trained to run and march long distances, and to shoot after sprints, not like in Roost were a soldiers was unable to aim steady after a 50 meters sprints, it felt like they were dying after a quick sprint.
ETC

Upvote 0
I was so upset when CIV2 came out but still played it and when UFO:XCOM was changed but still played it too. Will I quit playing ROHoS cause it is different than ROOST? the answer is no. I have loged over 500 hours on ROOST and 800 hours on Darkest Hour. I will probably log that many hours on ROHoS too in the same time period. I am thankful TWI published this game. I guess with the whiners they should go out and invest time and money in developing a game they can call their own. In the meantime back to playing with the SDK....

Reactions: THD
Upvote 0
Lets talk about the good old Roost: -
-The weapon handling was totaly unrealistic in Roost, the weapon sway was ridiculous, it seems you were drunk.
I found the sway in ROOST to be a good example of making something quite realistic, YET without sacrificing playability. I have some real life military experience here, and to make the sway and fatigue totally realistic would make the game unbearable. If you think ROOST was bad, go put on a minimum of 40lbs of gear, march for hours, get 2 hours sleep, and have artillery fall in danger close to you, and then try to fire unsupported shots at barely visable dots at 300m, with a 12 pound rifle with the recoil of a mule. RO was far from unbearable. Oh, and the barely visable moving figures are shooting back. If the weapon sway in RO was totally realistic, everyone would suck.

- The game speed was too slow, in real life and in war situations you run as hell, not like in Roost you walked arround to take a coffee.

Yes, you run as hard as you can, but you can only run so fast with dozens of pounds of gear, and a 12 pound rifle.

You what what REAL LIFE speed actually is? It's walking at a elderly womans pace for several hours, and taking covered positions for minutes or hours, even days, without ever even seeing an enemy. Also, last I checked, there is a sprint button in RO2, that does allow you to run a fast sprint, and then a steady pace once your initial burst is expended. That's pretty much how it works, try running a time or two, and grab a rifle and an assault pack when you do it.

- Stamina, real soldiers were trained to run and march long distances, and to shoot after sprints, not like in Roost were a soldiers was unable to aim steady after a 50 meters sprints, it felt like they were dying after a quick sprint.
ETC

Actually, no. I suggest you leave the basement, kind sir. Playing video games and watching saving private ryan has made an impression on you that just isn't consistent with the real world.

Upvote 0
I usually don't post a lot on forums although I follow them. But I got to say that I've liked RO2 very much. I did play RO:Ost a lot and in my opinion the RO2 is better. I don't really understand comparing RO2 to COD, because I think RO2 is pretty far from CODs gameplay. I'm playing BF3 too (hardcore/rush), but I prefer RO2. The fundamental problem with BF series is unlimited classes (too many snipers).

Sure there are few changes in RO2 I would like to see:
-more sway when aiming. I've experience only with modern assault rifles and MP5, but I would say that I should be harder to aim when walking. And you should get tired (more sway) when aiming unless resting the gun somewhere. I really would like to see a system where gun sway is tied to stamina.
-more open maps and bolt action combat

The new cover system felt clumsy at start, but I'm pretty comfortable with it now. Overall the good sides weight out the bad sides and I'm having a good time with this game. And I'm sure it will get even better in future.

Reactions: MarioBava
Upvote 0