• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

Daedric gear at level 25? I'm 35 and I'm just now seeing Ebony weapons drop.

Though I did find some Ebony armor at level 17.

It's weird.

Sometimes I'll get murdered by some random peasant flailing wildly with a woodcutting axe, and then when I reload to take him on again he can't even scratch me. Most of the time it doesn't do stuff like this but when it happens it's really annoying.

Spamming smithing up to 100 has it's perks. It'd feel dishonorable to me, though...

Upvote 0
Enemy magic users in the game are faaaar more powerful than what human players are able to atain. This is one of the biggest problems with Skyrim. I have a friend playing a pure destruction mage character, and despite throwing his stats into magicka and being a master enchanter, giving himself equipment that buffs him beyond belief, he STILL runs out of magicka constantly (even with perks), when enemy magic users seem to have infinite magicka and incredible amounts of health and armor.

Some major balancing needs to be done here.

Upvote 0
I've found if you get in a caster's face, you force them to draw a melee weapon and they lose a little bit of their casting oomph. Of course, it puts you at point-blank range but....well, that's what shouts and paralyzation poison are for. (Love that stuff.)

I'm pleased that at level 27 or so, I'm still getting handed some real challenges. Doing one quest I faced no less than 8 Draugr Wights at once. Individually they're easy but 8 at once.... it got hairy enough I actually had to use the Sanguine Rose, and that was with a bad *** NPC following me too.

It was around this point in Oblivion that I remember walking through Daedra and Dremora like they were made of paper, so it's nice I still haven't hit the Ebony/Daedric level and I'm still feeling somewhat challenged. A lot of fights I still have to do twice to formulate a strategy, or remember to use the half-dozen things I have at my disposal.

Upvote 0
I've found if you get in a caster's face, you force them to draw a melee weapon and they lose a little bit of their casting oomph. Of course, it puts you at point-blank range but....well, that's what shouts and paralyzation poison are for. (Love that stuff.)

I'm pleased that at level 27 or so, I'm still getting handed some real challenges. Doing one quest I faced no less than 8 Draugr Wights at once. Individually they're easy but 8 at once.... it got hairy enough I actually had to use the Sanguine Rose, and that was with a bad *** NPC following me too.

It was around this point in Oblivion that I remember walking through Daedra and Dremora like they were made of paper, so it's nice I still haven't hit the Ebony/Daedric level and I'm still feeling somewhat challenged. A lot of fights I still have to do twice to formulate a strategy, or remember to use the half-dozen things I have at my disposal.
Really? I found that in Oblivion I could never seem to get the leg up on enemies because EVERYTHING scaled up with you in that game.

Thank god in Skyrim the entire world doesn't automatically scale to your level. It actually feels like you're getting somewhere and not treading water. Though its certainly hard. Then again, I'm playing on Expert since the creation of my character, so that's probably why.

Upvote 0
another believer here , got the game two days ago , am absolutley hooked!

Im level 7 , yet to see a dragon ( apart from the start)

Im able to kill all the normal stuff - bandits, wolves etc , have had to run away from Giants, Mages, had some epic fights with a frost troll that I just couldnt defeat - but was sooo much fun trying!

I was really impressed with the length at which enemies will pursue you , I angered a giant and he came after me for a long long way , I think he would of just kept coming if I hadnt leapt off a ledge into a river.

cant believe how many mods are in the skyrim nexus list already :eek:

I like the deathcam extension one , I noticed some people didnt like the finishing moves thing - well , there a mod in there that removes it . ( I like it myself)

when it says on the map 'cleared' , does that mean that location will always be empty? , or could other creatures move into that location?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

See, I played a rogue character in Oblivion, so I never got a payoff at high levels, ESPECIALLY against those damned Daedra with their ludicrously high sneak stats who could spot and zero in on me despite my 100 sneak and buffs from half the map away.

But yes, I haven't had any trouble with mages. As soon as I notice I'm starting to lose ground, I suck down a "resist _____" potion, knock back some health, and whack them with my axe. They drop like stones.

Really? I found that in Oblivion I could never seem to get the leg up on enemies because EVERYTHING scaled up with you in that game.

Thank god in Skyrim the entire world doesn't automatically scale to your level. It actually feels like you're getting somewhere and not treading water. Though its certainly hard. Then again, I'm playing on Expert since the creation of my character, so that's probably why.

Aye, my same gripe. I love the system in Skyrim. Going up against lower level bandits is a blast. Sure, there may not be a whole lot of great loot to be gained from killing bandits, but it lets me dick around and have fun with it and use stuff I rarely use (less powerful shouts, werewolf form, etc.). I don't mind getting blind-sighted and insta-killled from time to time by an insanely powerful enemy. Keeps me on my toes and makes me feel like this is actually a dangerous world I'm exploring. The only "****ING WHAT?" moment I've had was when I was fighting a blood dragon in a swamp. Got the damn thing down to like 10% health when a bloody chaurus (a creature that's only supposed to appear in dungeons and deeper caves) ran out of nowhere and blind-sighted me. Yes, I was mad.

when it says on the map 'cleared' , does that mean that location will always be empty? , or could other creatures move into that location?

No, it'll respawn. It's just saying "don't waste your time here, there's nothing of value left. You already cleared this place."

Upvote 0
See, I played a rogue character in Oblivion, so I never got a payoff at high levels, ESPECIALLY against those damned Daedra with their ludicrously high sneak stats who could spot and zero in on me despite my 100 sneak and buffs from half the map away.

I too played a rogue character in Oblivion and I found it to be piss easy, once I had reached athletics 100. you could simply sprint through the gates to oblivion and close them without having to fight one single enemy.

Upvote 0
I too played a rogue character in Oblivion and I found it to be piss easy, once I had reached athletics 100. you could simply sprint through the gates to oblivion and close them without having to fight one single enemy.

You worked at raising your athletics?

Next thing you're going to tell me is that mercantile was a skill worthy of my efforts...

Upvote 0
Screw this crappy life, I'm starting with Skyrim now.
34.png

Upvote 0
I never really cared to get into other Bethesda games but the more badass tone of this one plus the new visuals plus the viking/dragon theme made me get it. I haven't been this engrossed in an atmosphere since probably the first stalker. Still not a fan of the high fantasy stuff but all the viking dragon lore is great. And the visuals.....wow. Up close most stuff is rather meh but when you take in everything as a whole its ubelievable. Probably the most cinematic looking game I've ever played.

EDIT: Also, add in the mount and blade combat system, add multiplayer, remove the high fantasy = best medieval game ever. I'm hoping we get a AAA medieval game sometime soon. Mount and Blade is a great great game but I wanna see some high production values like Skyrim on that type of gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My normal way of playing Oblivion was to do 50% of the game before ever going to Kivish. (Kivatch....Ki...whatever. The city in the west that starts opening the Oblivion gates.)

By the time I started hitting Oblivion gates, I was 30+ and packing 100s in several stats. Other than having 4 Dremora spam cast staff spells at you....the game became a cake walk. And the pay off from the Oblivion towers was so underwhelming in the face of your own native enchanting abilities....after two or three of them I quit playing.

Oblivion was all about hitting the point at which enemies couldn't get any better gear or come in any stronger form...and then you started eclipsing them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EDIT: Also, add in the mount and blade combat system, add multiplayer, remove the high fantasy = best medieval game ever. I'm hoping we get a AAA medieval game sometime soon. Mount and Blade is a great great game but I wanna see some high production values like Skyrim on that type of gameplay.

www.chivalrythegame.com

It aint AAA but it's probably what you're looking for. Can't wait till it's finished.

Upvote 0