• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

question for tripwire

ledurpy

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2011
When mutators / mods / new user made maps are enabled to be published will they work in ranked servers?

If not what are your plans to make playing unranked games more appealing. Because nobody wants anything to do with them right now because progression isnt there.

also will those things auto download when you join a server or will you have to install maps manually to use them?

Precisely the question inquiring minds want to know.

Opening the environment to the community with ranked play will boost the numbers of players and increase game longevity.

Let's face it, Tripwire isn't able to satisfy the demand for new content (maps), and quite frankly two or three of the released maps have significant design flaws that you would really expect from amateurs. Scenario and map design isn't your strong suite.

Upvote 0
if i could make a suggestion

keep ranked the way it is now

but enable clientside stat tracking and progression for unranked games.

this will allow the clans to be locked into protected servers for matches while the rest of the community can still rank up on unranked servers with custom maps and mutators.

because currently there are no people hosting unranked servers and this wont change without progression of some sort being their too

Upvote 0

this will allow the clans to be locked into protected servers for matches while the rest of the community can still rank up on unranked servers with custom maps and mutators.

because currently there are no people hosting unranked servers and this wont change without progression of some sort being their too

If this was well implemented, it would be an awesome system.

However, I would like to see ranked and unranked servers on the same page when custom content starts to be available, or no one will play it. :(

Upvote 0
Code changes will kick a server out of ranked, as we would have know way of knowing what it does.

Maps will not as of now. Plans may change in the future. Unreal supports servers streaming content to clients, but it is up to admins to use it.

I have what I think is the perfect solution for the problem. If we have all kinds of different settings on modded servers, everyone would agree that those servers can't really be on the same ranking system, depending on what and how much they change in server settings.

So my solution is to allow the server to set up their own stats system, using the same functionality as tripwire does. Simply allow for the stats data to be sent to and managed in a different location for a different server.

This way I'm sure modders could design their very own unlocks system meeting their needs. The different communities they can reward players that come on their servers regularly and contribute in a way relevant to that server, with extra weapons and various different items that mods may create.

Every time you would join a different "unranked" server, you could enter on their own ranking system. You would be a new recruit on every server, but you could quickly be rewarded as you play. On top of that, there is another important advantage for the communities and players. Since players have invested in a server by playing on it and levelling their stats on it, they will be seduced into more mature behaviour, because getting banned will make them lose the invested time for that server.

Wouldn't it be awesome to say hey thanks for playing in a positive way on our server, here is a medal of honor which you can see in game, or here is an upgrade to veteran status, etc.

Wouldn't that be an awesome community building tool? All that freedom for the servers and positive reward for the players! Imo that is how stats systems should be used: an official ranked system, and from the same backbone, unofficial server-specific rankings for modded servers and mods.

Thoughts?

That way possibly

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oh I hadn't read your post yet. Obviously I agree totally. I'm glad others see it this way. It would clearly imo be the best solution if at all possible. This solution would do the game so much good.

Upvote 0
Ditch the whole progression system.

ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED.

+1

The ranking system might prevent people from adding mutators to there servers. However, not all mutators will give advantages to players, but even those will cause a server to be unranked (a simple mutator might do a thing like changing a word as f*** into kiss).
An option could be that TWI grants certificates to mutators which are approved by TWI. We write them, next TWI checks them and gives out a certificate if they approve the mutator for a ranked server. Though, it would require a lot of administration and I have a slight feeling that TWI wants to do better things than that ;)

Upvote 0
We already plan a mutator "whitelist" so to speak like we have with KF. Those that don't mess with core balance or try and do naughty things will get cleared.

This is probably the best solution that has any likelihood of happening.
I'm ok with this.

It's understandable devs won't ditch something they spent a lot of time coding. Even if it wasn't a good idea :p

Last edited:
Reactions: shadowmoses
Upvote 0
Seeing as the progression system is here to stay (alas), I support the mutator Whitelist and merging Ranked and Unranked servers into the same browser tab.

Why Ranked and Unranked servers are in separate tabs, seeing as Ranked/Unranked servers already have identifying icons, I'll never understand (isn't that what filters are for?). Currently there is a psychological barrier in effect here which a) isn't necessary and b) will make modded/mutated servers less used. Frankly, RO2 doesn't have a large enough playerbase to start making certain available game play desires less easy to find.

Upvote 0
Ditch the whole progression system.

ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED.

Progression and leveling up my character isnt enough for me to get past the fact that the game just isnt fun for me... Most of the joylessness comes from core gameplay mechanics... not just the maps.

I really hope someone puts out a mutator that turns the game back to RO1 like gameplay. that would be fun

Reactions: Zookerman
Upvote 0