• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BF3 vs RO2

Now I've read Ramm's post for State of the game (The latest one). I'm the kind of game player who pretty much buys any and all good or thought to be good FPS. Now I've done this same purchasing model for about 20 years now.

I've seen games come and go and let me just say RO1 was not pretty and the numbers dwindled as they have in RO2, nothing new here. Believe it or not even 5 or so years after RO1 the numbers were incredible and increased over time rather than so called dying out. I was here even in the mod days before it became RO1 so I seen all the fluctuations. Even with all the so called great games - I always seen myself returning to RO.

So now with RO2 and BF3 thus the title. Let me just say BF3 is graphically one incredible game maybe even the best I've ever seen, but gameplay, well I'm sorry, not so much.

Now when it comes to fire and forget weapons, well nothing more is needed to be said. I can honestly say there is no such thing as getting good or skilled in these types of games. Run and Gun will always be Run and Gun.

I just want to give a quick overview of my gaming experience in BF3.
1.) Spawn
2.) Run down street using cover only to be fragged from who knows where.
3.) Spawn
4.) Run down the street always in cover and playing RO style not just blatantly charging only to be killed by a tank that I never even saw.
5.) Spawn
6.) Run down the street again ditching into an alley and moving slowly to see this tank or any enemy for that matter - only to be sniped from well who knows where again.
7.) Spawn
8.) Run down street trying new tactics, well needless to say from across the map an RPG blew myself and 4 other guys to bits.
9.) Spawn
10.) Run down the street - throw a frag just for the hell of it while just shooting aimlessly down the street only to find that Eureka I got 3 kills.

There you go folks that is less than 10 minutes of play on BF3. I also got all kinds of awards during that time but for "What???"

So now RO2, graphically it's incredible and definitely a step up from RO1. Do I think things need adjusted or tweaked? Sure I do, I'm a die hard WWII FPS game player. I still think hit detection at least for rifleman (Bolt Action) needs a bit of tweaking because machines guns sub or otherwise seem to be more accurate even from a distance. One aspect of RO1 I always loved was you could use the so called "Worse weapon in game" the (bolt action) - everyone hated getting stuck with it and always cried about it, because they spawned late, but yet I was always first in by the most part, and it was always my choice regardless of what was available.

Pwning even the best so called run and gunners with a single shot was always the most satisfying. I just wish RO2 had this same feel, currently I don't think it does. Do I do well with a bolt? - Sure, but as well as I do in RO1, not yet, still working on it.

When playing on good servers with good or known players you'll see teamwork, great communication and the things many complain about especially for PUB servers. Find the right players and the right server to call your own and you won't look back and this complaint can easily be squashed. BF3 will never have any of this paragraph mentioned period.

Do I see RO2 getting better - no doubt - do I see things getting fixed weekly - constantly - will RO2 ever be as good as RO1 - I'm hoping. Believe it or not I'm still playing RO1 more than both games above and probably still will for some time to come. So yes I still find myself back and playing RO1 more than any other game still and yes I have all the latest and greatest FPS games and many just sit there collecting dust. So newer and so called better really is not true, so don't believe the hype. It all comes down to gameplay, these fire and forget and Modern warfare games will never have it.

If TWI keep up the good work and within 6 months to a year or so I'm hoping RO2 becomes what RO1 always should have been and the numbers will only increase once people see how BF3 and MW really play out.

The skilled and good players will always be here playing RO2 after all the dust settles and as always I can almost guarantee it. I'll be here for the long haul. RO2 will get the much needed work it needs, with new maps, mods, and the like I can see myself in 5 years saying the only game I keep returning to is RO2 and RO1 will finally be buried in my past. I've needed a change from RO1 and it seems only RO2 will be the only or best route for this replacement. All the folks who've jumped ship to BF3 or soon to MW whatever version, enjoy. I'll be happy calling RO2 my home and in time I'm sure we'll see all those disgruntles coming back.

Long Live RO2 - see you all on the battlefield. ;)

CLOWN

oh and in regards to BF3 I almost bought it, almost that is!. Had fun with BF42 ten years ago of course so was hoping for that style. So glad I did not clunk down 60 bucks and the only reason I wanted to buy it was to fly aircraft. Had some friends over last nite for some beer and munchies and and showed them RO1 and RO2 and they were like wow, amazed at its depth. They are all COD types of friends :)

Upvote 0
We keep trying. Our server is always out there looking for a few good men and possibly some new regulars. Not all regulars were always regulars, you have to start somewhere.

Yeah save your money if RO style is your style. BF3 is fun for a quick change of pace and of course vehicle fun, but other than that, there is not enough depth to keep you going.

At least you can set up good teamwork and have some great battles or at least some sense of organization over here in the RO world when you have a server full of skilled and mature players... Can't ever see that happening in these modern warfare games. As I mentioned graphically nothing can touch the latest and greatest, but I think many overlook gameplay for eye candy way too much. I need both. Am I saying RO had eye candy? Believe it or not the old isn't all that bad when added to the type of gameplay it has.

Heck a game with stick figures, great weaponry, great teamwork, and weapon accuracy could be better than most of what is new these days.

Alperce - I like many games and love FPS and have played them all, and I will give an honest opinion where necessary. I see the same flaws everyone else sees even in RO2, it's far from perfect in its current state.

RO to me was perfect for its time, and wish more games would do just that, make a perfect game. I'm not here to bash or take sides by any means - I call it how I see them.

One thing I do want to bring up and that's all the complaints you've seen here are no different on the other side of the fence regardless of budgets and styles. Each game has several flaws but at least one thing I do know is that RO2 will get those ironed out in time more so than any of the other companies. Just saying.

One day a perfect game will be created and I'll be the first to say so, when I believe it is. Over the years RO and BF1942 and BFV were pretty close to having that and for their styles were perfect at what they did. Modern warfare just doesn't cut it (No skill necessary).

The perfect game will be one with RO accuracy (Hit detection), BF3 graphics and physics engine (Eye Candy), BF1942 and BFV fluidity between infantry and vehicles - the ease of use, ARMA2 animations, maps, and depth. Throw all of that into a WWII game and you have the greatest game ever. Just takes a bit from every game to make one of the greatest games. This is what everyone wants and some day someone will come close, because NO game will ever be perfect. Everyone has their styles or likes and you can't please everyone. I just can't understand why game developers just don't do all of the above and they don't listen to their communities by the most part??? Someday we'll be there, by then I'll be old and dieing.

Last edited:
Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0
Exactly...

Liked.

I shamelessly admit to enjoying the BF3 SP ride...Finished it.

MP just seems a mess but I'm trying to find out what all the fuss is about.
I've seen many a post saying that BF MP has something to offer (comparable to RO in some cases), I have yet to find anything that validates such claims.

Maybe I arrived a little late in the series, this is my first BF game.

RO, well I'm still here and I have faith in TWI and the future of the game.

Good post N

Upvote 0
OP, you forgot about the magic mortors that hit you out of nowhere. But as aggravating as that all is (and it IS), it ain't half as aggravating as seeing a guy in a room you've just walked into, raising your sights, ADS'ing his chest from 10 feet away, and plugging him before he even sees you ... only to have nothing happen but for him to wake up (or turn around if you've shot him in the back) and kill you before frollicking off, unscathed by your pesky high powered rifle shot to his heart and lung. Hey, he can always go to 7 Eleven later and pick up a disposable heart-lung transplant kit for $4.99 ...

Of course, said rightfully dead player does also sometimes "fix" his sucking chest wound by bandaging his lowever leg for .5 seconds before frollicking off ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry OP but your post isn't entirely accurate/fair.

You need to play several hours on each BF3 map in order to be able to make a fair comparison. When I first played BF3 I might have agreed with some of what you said........not so much now.

1. BASE GRAPHICS

RO2 is the winner. The attention to detail in the building interiors in RO2 is simply put amazing. The fire damage/mold on the ceilings and walls and "lived in look" really make one feel the player is invading someone else's personal living space.
RO2 (1) BF3 (0)

2. POST PROCESSING

BF3 is the clear winner here. The post-processing on the graphics as well as the post-processing on the sounds in BF3 is second to none. It represents a huge addition to the immersive feel of the game and generates a ton of intensity to (for example) see chunks of concrete whizzing by and having to cower on the ground being rocked by deafening explosions all the while hearing near-misses "crackling" by your head.
RO2 (0) BF3 (1)

3. GAMEPLAY

In my opinion there isn't a clear winner here. Both RO2 and BF3 use different game mechanics to create intensity, showcase combat lethality and provide options for teamwork. BF3 uses post-processing and sensory overload as well as cazy firefights to create intesity. In RO2 tension is built through sneaking around, knowing weapon balance is asymmetrical and therefore there may be map areas that cater to enemy weapon and put you at a clear disadvantage and the map verticality in RO2 goes a long way in creating intensity while not creating a "meat grinder" effect. Teamplay in BF3 is promoted through great squad server joing capabilites as well a squad visibility and spawning mechanics. In RO2 teamplay is promoted through the use of commanders and a solid command system. Both games suffer in the teamplay department due to the attitude of team-stacking clannies or ignorant pub players, but this isn't something unique to either FPS.
RO2 (1) BF3 (1)

4. SERVERS AND SERVER BROWSER

I absolutely love the fact that RO2 allows player-hosted dedicated servers and ranked servers by clans etc. The configuration options for servers in RO2 are also becoming very flexible which is a good thing. BF3 server hosting and setup options are by contrast not very flexible and by not allowing just anyone to host a server people in poor geographical locations are sometimes shafted. The server browser and filter options for BF3 outshine RO2 though in pretty much every possible way and with the latest battlelog patch from EA/DICE things are looking even better. Joining as a "party" with friends in BF3 couldn't be easier and is something I'm sure each and every new FPS will seek to emulate in some way.
RO2 (1) BF3 (1)

In my opinion we end in a tie. At the end of the day we're talking about two sometimes similar but also very different FPS's here. In my opinion both of them made concessions with regard to arcade/realism and both chose certain gameplay mechanics to focus on in order to make their game "fun". I enjoy playing both. I have also been around RO since before RO1 was even RO1 and I have to say RO2 is the natural progression. It may not be for everyone, but then if you just wanted RO1 with better graphics sorry that doesn't really make good business sense. The same goes for those who felt BF3 should just be BF2 with better graphics. Both FPS's innovate in their own way. I enjoy both and look forward to any/all post-sale support from either of the DEVS (since both games do need it).

Thanks for reading,

the Monk

Last edited:
Reactions: SCandChives
Upvote 0
I've ended up playing more Battlefield 3 since it runs on my Xbox and RO2 won't run acceptably on my PC, but they're both good games.

At some point in the next year I'll be upgrading to a better tower (with Win7) and plan to run both games well - at which point, I may spend more time in RO2 simply because I appreciate the realism more.

Despite that it's easier to die in RO2 I also find it's vastly easier to survive, whereas in Battlefield (at least on the low-res TV screen) you won't even be able to identify the majority of the enemy team camping on top of a rock pile 10ft in front of you.

Upvote 0
Clown good to see you around. I totally agree with you
about the future of RO2.
I try to play Ro1 as I am waiting for the team to
get RO2 up to a level where I can play as there a couple probs that prevent me from playing(sound/server lag).

Where's your server(RO1) do you still have it up n running
Alwas a great game on the Clown server.
The few times I have tryed to locate a server there's only 4
TWB euro server my ping is over 200ms so no playing there
as i would drag down the server.
Danzig hell hole is another (no interest).
than the other 2 servers are tank (No thx)

I wish TWB had there RO1 NA server up but I can't find it.
I was hoping there was a NA RO1 server that would at least
be visible on the weekends. Which played good CA/infantry maps
would be nice. Till RO2 becomes the main Dish.

Cheers,,
:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0