• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Consider this, all ye who still have hope..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kipp73

Oct 16, 2011
Brisbane, Oz
The playerbase will not grow from this point on.

There is literally too much competition out there. If RO2 hasnt gripped enough players now, a patch or two will unlikely reap hoardes of new blood to keep the current (dwindling numbers of) players happy...

Truth of the matter is, I reckon from this point on, this game will be community lead. TWI are unlikely to expect or in fact, obtain many new sales. What is their motivation to keep hammering away at bug fixes, with minimal future revenue stream? They have already promised free DLC / content.. Ill be suprised when that arrives.

It breaks my heart in a way. Years I waited for this game, pining for that 'mod-era' vibe...

Alas.

Left for dead sold more games in 1 day of the first 50% off sale than in the entire time before that steam sale.

So TWI can easily enough get more players at that point, the key is the best sale time is probably the upcoming christmas. So the game should be fixed and ready to rumble by then (probably with some additional dlc + trailer).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
People wanted
the game a.s.a.p. with bugs. So now they have the game in a too early state and they aren`t still satisfied.

You're telling me Tripwire rushed the game out because people on the forums were clamoring for it? Hahaha! Good one!

I think nobody with their feet on solid ground is expecting a miracle, but RO2 will probably live on reasonably enough. With no significant community/servers for my country, sadly. But as Zetsumei said, there are steam sales and stuff like that, it's fathomable it could get a little healthier.

But posts like "just you wait till A PATCH WITH MAPS AND CONTENT, this game will pull triple A numbers!" (making it up, nobody typed that verbatim) are just silly. Yes, sure, halftracks and a couple of new maps will attract thousands of players back. Sure.

---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zetsumeis right.. Theres always a chance with excellent mods that a steam sale could hike the playerbase up..

What does worry me is if that doesnt happen then even with the SDK working and some mutators or mods fixing the games balance issues and adding content, it will be harder every day to find servers with decent pings running the version you want to play. (though to be fair will any servers actaully bother running the current version)

Upvote 0
You should realise that there are many people that bought the game, that essentially like it except for a small number of issues they are having.
As soon as some of the larger performance issues get dealt with, I am sure we will see a massive increase in users. My guess would be that within 2 months, this game could be upto 3000 to 4000 players again.

From there TWI could pull off it's first post-game advertisement, such as free weekends and minor DLC. Which would atleast make people try the game once more, this could easily recover the playerbase upto 5000-6000. Where I would guess it remains stable but very slowely decreasing until the next major DLC pack comes to RO2.
At that point we could see a massive increase in users.

Upvote 0
Left for dead sold more games in 1 day of the first 50% off sale than in the entire time before that steam sale.

So TWI can easily enough get more players at that point, the key is the best sale time is probably the upcoming christmas. So the game should be fixed and ready to rumble by then (probably with some additional dlc + trailer).

Yep I think this is a spot on assessment.
Let the BF3/MW3 dust settle and the playerbase will start to grow again.
BF3 has had very similar release problems but because the Battlefield franchise is now moving to a COD style yearly release I feel EA will push Dice into fixing many of the basic bugs while leaving many of the more lower priority bugs because the time scheduled to start on the next BF game will not allow them to fully fix the game.
At least this is what happens with COD games.

Upvote 0

Yep I think this is a spot on assessment.
Let the BF3/MW3 dust settle and the playerbase will start to grow again.
BF3 has had very similar release problems but because the Battlefield franchise is now moving to a COD style yearly release I feel EA will push Dice into fixing many of the basic bugs while leaving many of the more lower priority bugs because the time scheduled to start on the next BF game will not allow them to fully fix the game.
At least this is what happens with COD games.

I fully agree with both comments. While I've been an RO fan and player for what seems like an eternity, I enjoy this game thoroughly! Sure, there's a few things I'd like to see fixed and/or changed.. but they do not stop me from enjoying a great game.

See Y'All on the battlefields!

Upvote 0
I have a dream...

I have a dream that one day Tripwire will rise up and live out the true meaning of Red Orchestra: ''We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all RO games are ment to be tactical.''

I have a dream that one day on the this board, the former ROplayers and the rest of the community will be able to sit down and celebrate the sudden success of this game while the casual may go back where they belong.

I have a dream that one day the current state of RO2, a state of arcade and stats, glory and achievements, will be transformed into an oasis of tactical gameplay and freedom of movement on maps that are liberated from corridor design and spawnkilling.

I have a dream that my four little ROplayers will one day play a game where they will be judged by their skill and teamgameplay and not by the stats or the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, In Red Orchestra, with It's vicious direction, with It's developers having their lips dripping with the words of money and fame; one day, in Red Orchestra, the ROvets and casual gamers will join hands with each other and say goodbye as brothers and sisters.

I have a dream today

I have a dream that one day every Red Orchestra shall go back to It's roots, say goodbye to the mainstream, and say hello once agian to It's old, loved formula.

I have a dream.

That this will be the year when all the fans will be able to play the game with It's old meaning and feeling. ''My old Red Orchestra, 'tis of thee, blood, sweat and tears, of thee I sing. The game I played with pride shall remain untoched forever by the audience that want to halt it's true existence. Let It's true formula ring.''

And if Tripwire is to be a great developer this must become true. So let the love from the Ostfront and It's mightly maps and mechanics touch us all once agian.

Let this message ring from the soon snowcapped Sweden!
Let this message ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!
But not only that; let this message ring from the whole Scandinavia!
Let this message ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!
Let this message ring from every hill and molehill of the world. From every mountainside, let this message ring, even in the crowd where It's denied!

And when this happens, when we allow Red Orchestra 2 to become true, when we let this message ring from every battlefield forum and to every codies of this world, we will be able to speed up that day when all gamers, casual and hardcore, will be able to join their hands and sing the words of our formula.

''Red Orchestra at least! Thank you Tripwire, we're playing Red Orchestra at last!''

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christmas? Are you serious?! BF3 is out and during Christmas "Back to Karkand" DLC should be released, MW3 will be out until then and Star Wars: The Old Republic will also be released. I don't think that even major bug fixes and XX% off will convince people to buy RO2. They might try in February though...

Upvote 0

Exactly what I had in mind.

1 new trailer just like the classic RO advertising X amount of new free content will bring new players. Let's not forget the free weekends and the people that come back from time to time to check up on the game.

the best sale time is probably the upcoming christmas.
Advertise Hero Status skin = Santa dressed Hitler or Stalin weilding dual MKB's with PPSH attachments. :D

Christmas? Are you serious?! BF3 is out and during Christmas "Back to Karkand" DLC should be released, MW3 will be out until then and Star Wars: The Old Republic will also be released. I don't think that even major bug fixes and XX% off will convince people to buy RO2. They might try in February though...

Pessimism will never help. Many PC Gamers who built their own PC's (Most of them if you ask me as I don't see many gaming HP Towers) WILL look for information on a shooter game when their interest gets sparked... that leads them to the forum... And they get welcomed with a billion "OMGZ DA GAME IZ Dying !!!!!11One"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The main issue I foresee with this is that the existing player base will all be ranked up.

It will not be attractive for new players when they are killed at spawn by 'vet' players with all the 'bells & whistles'.

I understood from the pre-launch marketing dialogue that the 'levelling-up' would be 'marginal'. I do not think this is the case.

Players may be attracted to the RO concept - but not when Level 1 plays against Level 100.

kba

Upvote 0
Exactly what I had in mind.
Pessimism will never help. Many PC Gamers who built their own PC's (Most of them if you ask me as I don't see many gaming HP Towers) WILL look for information on a shooter game when their interest gets sparked... that leads them to the forum... And they get welcomed with a billion "OMGZ DA GAME IZ Dying !!!!!11One"

Unfortunately there are still too many people that think these threads actually contribute. Then when you tell them they should stop making the threads they go like:

"I paid for the game so I have a right to complain"

People with this argument are right, they have the right to complain. I just don't see how this right justifies the undiscussable ranting that's posted in the general section, while they should be elaborating their complaints in the technical support/suggestions forum.

"Tripwire should fix isue x,y,z or I will leave the game"

People with this argument really have no patience. People hardly want to wait for fixes, so if it's not solved within their attention span(for example: a week) Then they start ranting again

"This game is like Call Of Duty"

Overexaggerating much? Sure this game has some minor similarities, but blindly ignoring the differences is just silly.

I would really like the moderators to punish those that do not bring anything discussable to the forum, complaints are always discussable but only if they are written within a rational manner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main issue I foresee with this is that the existing player base will all be ranked up.

It will not be attractive for new players when they are killed at spawn by 'vet' players with all the 'bells & whistles'.

I understood from the pre-launch marketing dialogue that the 'levelling-up' would be 'marginal'. I do not think this is the case.

Players may be attracted to the RO concept - but not when Level 1 plays against Level 100.

kba

I can see your point but that is the same situation in every major release.

BF3 and MW3 will have the same problems..The back to karkand dlc may attract new BF3 players who will be faced with exactly the same situation.

The reality is that both Battlefield and Call of Duty are on a yearly release cash cow basis and there game support is not based around anything beyond a 6/8month cycle.
Its not in their interests to provide long term support for a game they intend to dump in 12 months time.

TWI on the other hand have stated they intend to support RO2 for at least a couple of years.
So the game we have now will not be the game we have next year.
New maps, new vehicles, maybe new weapons and thats just TWI's end.

When you factor in new customs maps and mods the future of RO2 begins to alter from the perceived "the game is dying" crap i keep reading in these forums to something much more viable.
I seem to remember the same posts for RO1 and Killing Floor shortly after their release as well...lol

TWI are not EA or Activsion, their resources are far smaller therefore the issue of time being allowed to patch out the bad and patch in the good has to be considered but we all know they won't simply walk away..
Maybe many of the new players are expecting just that because thats what they see happen on a regular basis by these larger companies who's buisness model is completely different from TWI's, hence the constant battering TWI seem to take on these forums from players who either do not about TWI's support or simply don't understand it or simply want to troll.

I still believe that RO2 will get many more players coming back to the game once the major releases of BF3 and MW3 have passed and the start of TWI's free content begins to kick in.

At present the numbers have fallen but as the game gets refined and the content support kicks in I honestlly expect the game to settle to around 3000-3500 players...Which is not bad for a small indie company..:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2 is an EPIC FAIL for US ...
RO2 is already a lot of money for TWI.

There is not hope , only in future mod , in a year maybe.

I'm sad, I'm furious, I'm asking "Why people who have chance to lead a game dev are so ... ST(CU)UPID"

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's not about the money lost ... that's all about "there is actually NO realistic FPS with Nextgen Graphism" .... i can deal with old graphism, i use to play Close Combat Serie game till 15 years.

prophet_lol_cat.jpg

But .... by lord, i dreamt for an awesome sequel to Ro2 .... **** twi , **** you alan wilson !

ban me if you want, there is nothing more here for me ... i have no hope in patch or things from twi. They stole our innocance, our kids heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if they wait to get the bugs out .. make it run a bit better

then have a free weekend after the cod/bf noise ...
i can see a big boost in player count

and for players like me ... make the maps TDM ready

but if they have that free weekend and its not running good .. thats it nobody will bother to download it again

hang in there TWI ... im pulling for ya
make that free weekend a massive statement that shocks us all

Upvote 0
I still get in tactical realism severs that have lots of players. There has been a few servers implementing bots which is kind of lame. I don't mind a small player base if there are some U.S. servers that stay up near me. Even if I get bored/distracted by Skyrim or other nonshooters, this will probably still remain my top shooter. Unless bf3 finally sucks me in, but I'm not planning on that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.