• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some telling numbers...

LogisticEarth

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
A little over a month after the games release:

EDIT: Ignore KF's numbers, that's left over from the original image, the important part is RO

8gYCQ.jpg

On off-peak hours, you have maybe 300 players. And max, you're working in the 1500 player range. This games European playerbase is anemic at best, and the US players are slowly bleeding off too.

I have to say that at this point, I've pretty much stopped playing RO2, at least for a long while. I can't really put my finger on it, but the game is simply not as satisfying to play as the past titles. Maybe I'm burnt out, maybe I'm an old fogey who doesn't get video games anymore, but while I was increadibly excited for the game when it first game out, it's been a flash in the pan. I have more of an urge to go play DH than RO2 at the moment. Too much unlock nonsense, too much schizophrenic design. Is it realism, or is it arcade FPS? It seems to want to be both and fails at being stellar at either.

Regardless, I hope that TWI gets their stuff figured out, rethinks some of the design/release decisions that lead us here.

Last edited:
i think a better comparison would be between RO2 and Ost Front, as the playerbase for RO2 and KF are not all that mutual

The KF numbers are just residual from where I grabbed it from, the important part is the RO2 information. And ROOST should be no comparison, as it's a 5 year old game.

I really can't fathom why, after RO2 sold so many copies so far (supposedly more than ROOST in it's whole lifespan, so +500k), there are only 300-1500 people playing a month after release.

Upvote 0
because it's not nearly as good. Not a good arcade shooter, nor is a good tactical shooter.

Well, yeah, I guess I lied. I can fathom why these numbers are like that, ha.

I'm hoping that the fact that thier attempt at taking on the AAA crowd seems to be falling flat on it's face makes them rethink some of the design decisions that were made. That is, taking some great gamplay improvements (movement, weapon handling, graphics) and then watering down the tactical aspects, and releasing far before it was ready. Even before the KF event, you can see that RO2's numbers were floating around the same level as the two or three year old budget title.

Unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed via patches, it's not a bug. It's the core gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The KF numbers are just residual from where I grabbed it from, the important part is the RO2 information. And ROOST should be no comparison, as it's a 5 year old game.

I really can't fathom why, after RO2 sold so many copies so far (supposedly more than ROOST in it's whole lifespan, so +500k), there are only 300-1500 people playing a month after release.

Mate, please don't regard it as an offense towards you, but whoever thinks that RO 2 sold more than 500k copies should really give me the number of his dealer. If it's a tenth of that number, I would already be surprised...

Upvote 0

RO2 gave more revenue than the total of RO1 and KF or i believe so TWI said. But for that take into account that RO sells at 40 dollar a pop while RO1 and KF initially sold for 25 dollar. And that most sales for KF and RO actually happened for very cheap special prices.

I wouldn't be surprised if the average price of KF and RO1 would be something like 10 dollar. Which would mean that the total player amounts for RO2 would by estimation be like 125~250k

------

For me I've played RO2 approx 20 hours, and just do not like it. There is a lot of potential which is why I ended up playing 150 hours in the beta to try and put my finger on things.

I'm probably more an arcade player than hardcore realism. (although I'm a competitive player so don't like stuff such as unlocks or notifications of what the enemy is doing).

But in the end for me, the game play in RO2 primarily isn't fun. With the zoom in iron sight, you usually kill people that haven't seen you and get killed by people you haven't seen. There are so many windows you can never expect where the enemy comes from. For me it feels like how RO1 plays on sniper only servers where everybody had a sniper rifle, but now fully automatic sniper rifles.

The free aim in iron sight makes me feel like I've lost control over my gun (not noticable with spray guns and semi auto) but with a bolt its pretty noticable.

And finally the classes just seem less separated in ability compared to RO1, in RO1 rifles were good at range, and smgs were good at cqc. Now every weapon is good at range, and the rifle just feels like a bastard child compared to say the semis (especially as free aim is more annoying when you have less shots to fire). Which is why I hope that at least for the bolt action rifle, the free aim in iron sight will be removed. With as counter balance (and for all weaponry no boost in the speed of going to ironsight the default speed is already quite fast and should be the end state not the begin state).

And unlocks that cannot be deselected and straight upgrade stat paths, make it such that a high level player regardless of personal skill got a big advantage over a new player that usually is of worse skill. I'd rather see it that if you get an update you can select to use it but every advantage got its disadvantage.

And finally the control scheme, a lot of controls are forced upon you. Some functions are combined in an unseperatable way, and some functions are forced as a toggle. This scares away people familiar with other games.

In gameplay I like epic firefights, with both sides taking shots at each other, here the chance is big that one person simply never sees the bullet coming.

---------------------------------------------------

And for the realism crowd, the class loadouts, weapon loadouts, recon planes, no natural voices. Take away a lot of the immersion of being in stalingrad. While immersion is probably the most important thing to most realism players.

----------------------------------------------------

In the end I think that TWI aimed for a sort of golden balance between realism and arcade, but that golden balance doesn't exist.

I just hope that twi will make game modes that aim more specifically to the different core usergroups of this game, as it now falls in a point where its too slow and campy for the arcade player and not immersive enough and too run and gun for the realism player.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zetsumei

I am working in sales myself. I can basically say whatever I want as long as I don't have to report to shareholders. I can say that I just sold 500k BMWs in Kenya. Prove me wrong :D

What is funny for me though is, the statement itself. Best sold game of TWI. Man, explain to me how come that 1500 people think it's worth playing...

Players rotate quickly on a day, with 1500 people peak its likely that during that day you would have gotten 20000 or so different people that played the game.

But the main thing that ircs me is that TWI says our opinion is not important. While on these forums are probably people that put more hours in the game than on average. Making the opinions of people here not based on first impressions but actually game play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Big issue I see now is if we get mods or mutators rather than actual fixes to the core issues of game play, we will fracture an already tiny player base..

You could end up with a situation where the only server running the game the way you want it has a 999 ping.

TWI really need to get this sorted and fix balance and style of play issues with the core

Upvote 0