• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

I'm glad to see this is not a forum where people are spazzing over the 6 GB size. It's like I can't evade the stupidity!

Overall, the map is about the same size as Oblivion so I would be mad if it was higher, the lower the better, and the game looks good enough for what I've seen. Still, those 6GB will become 25GB in the end with DLC and mods anyway.

Reactions: EvilAmericanMan
Upvote 0
Overall, the map is about the same size as Oblivion so I would be mad if it was higher, the lower the better, and the game looks good enough for what I've seen. Still, those 6GB will become 25GB in the end with DLC and mods anyway.

Oh yes the mods will at least double it up within a year after launch! Hopefully it doesnt need an unofficial patch as bad as Oblivion did...

Upvote 0
Oh yes the mods will at least double it up within a year after launch! Hopefully it doesnt need an unofficial patch as bad as Oblivion did...

It probably will. Bethesda releases games that are bugged up the butt. Just take it as red that the game is going to be constantly glitching out.

It'll still be fun as **** and totally worth every penny. Bethesda games are just too huge and ambitious for thorough bug squashing.

Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to it, but I haven't seen any screenshots that look like the Alps in the summertime, which is a spectacularly beautiful as a landscape can be, and would easily fit in the geography of Skyrim.

5a62e3c0-1025-4ff9-9fbd-c08353d3fb0b.jpg

White rocks and brown grass can only get you so far.

Upvote 0
I can't really see why people should get angry about the game size(In harddrive space). Honestly, what is 6GB when you can buy 1TB for under 70$.

I get angry because my gaming partition in my 1TB drive, and thats my Steam partition, has only 30 free GBs left.

But you got that wrong, most people, believe it or not, are angry because they think the game takes "too little", and that is because of the console port paranoia and all that BS.

Upvote 0
But you got that wrong, most people, believe it or not, are angry because they think the game takes "too little", and that is because of the console port paranoia and all that BS.
I think the paranoia is quite justified.

I mean, Oblivion, which came out 5 and a half years ago, needed a little under 5GB of HDD space. Most recent RPG's have required quite a bit more: Fallout: NV - 10GB, Witcher 2 - 16GB, even Dragon Age 2, which has a very small game world, required 7GB.

Upvote 0
I get angry because my gaming partition in my 1TB drive, and thats my Steam partition, has only 30 free GBs left.

You partitioned a 1TB drive and used part of it for steam?

I bought a 1.5TB drive AS my "Steam Drive".

Steam is a bit of a pain due to its design, but look up "Symbolic Link" in windows. This lets you move stuff out of the "Steam Directory" and pop it down somewhere else, even on a second drive/partition.

Upvote 0
I was talking to someone about game sizes last night, and he brought up a good point.

Part of the reason that Fallout:NV was so big was because of the LOD system in that game. It required tons of high quality LOD files to be made for every object, just like Oblivion. It looks like Skyrim renders in closer textures in a different, more gradual way. It must use texture streaming or something to avoid the super obvious pop in seen in other games.

Upvote 0
I was talking to someone about game sizes last night, and he brought up a good point.

Part of the reason that Fallout:NV was so big was because of the LOD system in that game. It required tons of high quality LOD files to be made for every object, just like Oblivion. It looks like Skyrim renders in closer textures in a different, more gradual way. It must use texture streaming or something to avoid the super obvious pop in seen in other games.

Likely the case, though apparently compression techniques (as tweeted by Pete and Todd) are significantly improved as well. It makes sense too considering the voice acting alone.

Oblivion had several voice actors doing multiple roles due the to limited number, which created less need for audio files as they were shared by multiple NPCs and races. Skyrim is either not the case at all, or significantly less this case with a much, much higher count. This means there has to be either a significant loss in quality, or better lossless compression.

Upvote 0
Eh, the parts that matter, the gameplay bits, are actually quite small. I can deal with repeating, low-res textures as long as there is enough content to eat up months of my life.

Some of the best games I've played in the last few years have had graphics that could have been produced 10 years ago, but the gameplay was deep and immersive and fun, kind of like the days back before it was mandatory to render the frozen snot in your super-realistic soldier's balaclava for gamers to even pay attention to you.

They said in an earlier interview that, as the crow flies, the map isn't any bigger than the Oblivion map. The difference is the difficulty of the terrain, with cliffs, mountains, and other such obstacles preventing you from making a beeline to your next destination, making the world feel bigger than it actually is. It's an old mapper's trick.

Upvote 0