• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts about Ro2

Zocko great post!

(...) RO aims at an audience that doesn't exist, like many other games have done before and failed.

This...

RO2 didn't need to be arcade game to pleased newcomers, but simply bugs, performance issues, not working server browser, stats scared them of. RO2 had ~9500 players peak in first day, but it was so unplayable for many so they left. Newcomers in couple days start playing BF3 and forget about RO2 and it's day one failure.

How about RO:O veterans and TWI's true fans? RO2 would be much better game for them if that would be a real successor, not wrong mixture of Battlefield, CoD and Red Orchestra. Most of things were posted already why is that. Now your customers have to wait for mod tools to fix gameplay and bring back good RO spirit into game.

Also from competitive community: Where is demorec?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love the chatter. It makes the game come alive. Sneaking around in a building and hearing the enemy the floor above. You know there's atleast two enemies right there. And it's always strangely reassuring hearing my sl asking how I'm holding up... in russian now that I've switched to native languages :)

I did play Ostfront and liked it a lot. I love RO2 and think it improves upon the original (SORRY! :D). All I'm asking for is more downtime travelling from spawn to the front. More quiet before the storm. Don't really care about the amount of smg's. I play rifleman. Although I swear quietly to myself when getting shot by Mkb's.
You guys taught me to hate them :)

Upvote 0
I almost never post, but have been a forum lurker and RO1 player for years.

I could not agree more with the OP. I have five RL friends that all purchased RO2 because we loved the original RO... Now one and a half months in and none of us play RO2, it is just not fun. I really had high hopes for this game, but they changed too many things and not for the better. Bad Performance, Silly squad spawning, leveling up, unlocks, etc.all bad moves.

We went back to Mount and Blade, sorry TWI, but oh well you got our money right?

Upvote 0
I'm sorry I just have to say this - Expectations were not too high.

TWI made Ro1.

We loved Ro1.

TWI knew what they did and why their fans loved these specific aspects.

TWI knew that 90% of this forum wanted these features returned or tweaked. We made posts on how to improve these aspects from Ro1. One of the most common requests on this forum was to add 3D sound for ALL voice commands - Now we have the aforementioned "I don't want to die!" "I bet Fritz is pissing his pants!" (TWI even cited a book that mentioned Russian soldiers holding their screams as they bleed out! Now they randomly crack jokes in English at a loud enough volume to be heard over artillery?)

TWI could have made a brilliant sequel to Ro1 which I'm sure would have a larger player base and happier customers.

TWI omitted or altered these features. They did not get these ideas from Ro1. They did not get these ideas from the forums. I don't even think they read the books they cited as their source material. They got these ideas by playing Black Ops and Bad Company 2.

Even though I maintain that my expectations could have EASILY been met by Ro2 - you are right that the icing on the cake is that we have been betrayed. WE SOLD THIS GAME! Clans, steam friends, real life friends... they were all counting on the word of thousands of enthusiastic Ost vets... It was not kids looking at the box art going "Wow Mom look at the cool outfit on that soldier and the sweet scope on his gun!"

You know what usually happens when you mix 3 genres into one and try to appeal to the hardcore followers of all 3? Lowest common denominator. You don't see hardcore jazz fans listening to dance remixes of their favorite jazz numbers. You don't see dance girls from the community college performance class listening to Jazzed up versions of their favorite dance beats. BOTH groups are unhappy when you mix some cluster f*ck of Miles Davis noodling over a dance beat!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your soldier talks only when there is a freindly around and that phrase he says only when he is heavily suppressed and under fire, so your point does not stand. Dont really understand why is there some much *****ing about the battle chatter, it makes the game immersive.
So your Russian character screaming, "EYES OPEN, TOVARISCH!" while running in an empty room that's inside a German cap zone doesn't bother you?

Upvote 0
Great post, and as others said, you put my thoughts into words.

Ro2 is a good game but a disappointment for me none the less, just doesn't have that grand epic feeling Ro1 has. The lockdown timers needs to be a server option for reasons stated perfectly by Zocks, I'm getting nostalgia from the long *** firefights you used to have in Ro1 on the first cap, it didn't matter if we couldn't take the first objective the firefights were just awesome on there own.

The cover system, to be blunt its poorly implemented, want to give ammo to that MG? nope your going in cover, want to pick up that smoke next to the wall?, nope in cover instead, that really annoys me in the game and a simple fix would be give cover its own key.

The recent patch to add custom weapon ratio was good, but then to make that option unranked servers only?, I really begin to wonder if Tripwire are even in touch with their players, even the Rising Storm dev team said in an interview that weapon balance/ratio would be a lot more realistic and more like Ro1 than Ro2 is.

I play Ro2 every now and then with friends, my main draw is playing with them and seeing old Ro vets that we used to reg with in the good times. At the moment my main hopes for Ro2 is the modders, will see how Rising storm turns out, but if im honest im worried about spending a content fee for a game I feel hard to support at the moment.

I have found another game to play (M&B cRPG mod :) )

Just watched the trailer, glad still got Warband in, that really looks awesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great post Zocko.

I am a RO1 veteran too, C.C.C.P, many of the old clan players might remember me, I played for CM, cc//, CoreNA, dP..

Just as many people before me have previously stated, I feel that TWI betrayed me with this game. To all of those points I could add another dozen things that killed this game for me, like split-second bandaging, underpowered rifles, tank that repairs at a resupply points, and many many many other things...

I cannot, I fail to understand why did TWI do this to its most loyal audience. The only explanation that I can come up with - they did it just to sell the damn game. Well, I can tell you this much Tripwire, you only lose your reputation once, and you've lost it. I will never, ever believe you again. That Ramm-Jaeger "Trust me!" thing which was a complete lie - that I will remember, however.

You played your trick, you sold the game initially, but you have to pay the price eventually, and here it is:

hahaax.jpg

You know what, I'll just think that you are not real Tripwire. It will make things easier. You have taken their office and killed the talented, original, independent, and honest Tripwire that made RO1, the Tripwire that we, mod-players and veterans knew. The Tripwire who would not ever even think about making a CoD copy out of Red Orchestra, the Tripwire that would vomit just from the idea of mass MKB prototypes in Stalingrad.

I don't know who you are, but you are not them. And I don't trust you.

Reactions: 501st Airborne
Upvote 0
So your Russian character screaming, "EYES OPEN, TOVARISCH!" while running in an empty room that's inside a German cap zone doesn't bother you?

An even better one is when you are close to your enemy after a long sprint and instead of saying "Hello" to the enemy, your character actually thinks it's best to let him know "Go on brothers, I need to catch my breath for a minute" or sth like that. Now if anybody can tell me the advantage of doing so, I am willing to pay him 100 bucks...
Whenever this happens, I am 1% away from insanity to throw my mouse into my TV...

Upvote 0
The hero status basically being time spent with the game eventually does kinda annoy me.... i always thought it would be more of a measure of a persons skill and team work.

Perhaps something along the lines of everytime you score above say 100 team points in a game, you get a few points towards unlocking a hero with the resulting access to rare weaponary.

That way only the better team players will gain access to hero and the rare weapons ..

Idk i just expected hero and those weapons to be a lot less prevalent and to be a wow factor when you saw one on the battlefield. And that if you saw a hero squad leader for example you'd be pretty sure he knew what he was doing etc....

Reactions: [Splat]= Zocko
Upvote 0
Agreed with OP, however I think maps play a bigger part than most seem to realise. I can't wait for some custom maps, but then again I think mappers are hindered greatly at the moment when it comes to designing anything other than Danzig style meat grinder maps mainly due to the game only having 2 vehicles, and no troop transports, which I think hurts a lot.

Mappers have their work cut out IMO.

Good to see SPLAT is still going, you managed to get rid of Duck yet? :p

Upvote 0
I agree with most of the points - but fortunately we are far apart from a gameplay like in CoD or BF|BC. The aiming and atmosphere is still like ro1 i think. Dont rate it to hard.

I think threads like: "funiest kills you did" - show what cool moments the game has, apart from all the other problems. It has still potential and i love playing it... its not all that bad :)

Upvote 0
I've been playing RO since the start (UT2k3), and I agree with your points Zocko. However, there is one thing you're missing. The core gameplay is improved by quite a lot over RO1. By this I mean, forget about all the stats and weapon load outs, strip it all away. What remains is a very solid game with very nice gunplay.

No, not really. That's just the problem that many people have with this game. If it's fun they are willing to wait for bug fixes but right now it just isn''t even worth the wait because it's not fun. Nice gunplay? Gunplay is the biggest problem with this game right now.

Upvote 0