• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you think about the tankgameplay?

Verluste

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2011
www.youtube.com
Although the tanks in this game are pretty modeled and nice to look at, I find the gameplay of the armored vehicles horrendous. Not only the bugs hinder the fun of being in the tank, the bot that operates the machinegun makes more kills than you do, whilst you are in the commander/gunner-seat. Through smoke and bushes, it doesnt matter to him.
Not to mention the poor infantry getting mowed down by a bot.

Compared to RO1, the content and gameplay of the tanks is a huge disappointment for me. Although more types of armor will be in the game with future patches, the current state of it makes me avoid all servers that run maps that allow tanks on them. Like Pavlov's and Commissar's House.
It feels all so...flawed. It's almost like the gameplay of tankcombat, in particular on the combined arms maps, needs a major rehaul.

IMHO

Last edited:
I think tanks have the potential to be 1000x better than in RO1. I still like them better than in Ostfront, but they need serious tweaks like:
-nerfing the hull MG gunner
-giving the T34 more AP ammo, more turret armor and higher max speed
-showing who is in your tank
-giving a bigger advantage to sharing the tank with another player, like making the default gunner vision the one outside of the periscope when changing positions, instead of instantly going to the periscope vision.

And does the T34 really has a slower reload speed than the PZ4?

Upvote 0
Combined Arms

Combined Arms

I really liked the old RO1 that had Tank heavy, with some mech infantry kind of maps. Really bummer that there is only one Tank heavy map and we do not have infantry carrier for infantry participation.

i had some great nights playing with folks all over the world on tank maps on RO1 and drinking beer :) And the maps as well as the tanks covered the entire period of the war.

It is nice to have the interior modeled, but lack of vehicles and lack of maps has totally turned me off. My God, bring some of the old tank maps back if you cannot create new ones the way you did Danzig - oooh, i mean Apartments.

And i hope just because you named the game for Stalingrad, that the Mod community does not just stick to that scenario. Cover the entire war as the original game did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although the tanks in this game are pretty modeled and nice to look at, I find the gameplay of the armored vehicles horrendous. Not only the bugs hinder the fun of being in the tank, the bot that operates the machinegun makes more kills than you do, whilst you are in the commander/gunner-seat. Through smoke and bushes, it doesnt matter to him.
Not to mention the poor infantry getting mowed down by a bot.

Compared to RO1, the content and gameplay of the tanks is a huge disappointment for me. Although more types of armor will be in the game with future patches, the current state of it makes me avoid all servers that run maps that allow tanks on them. Like Pavlov's and Commissar's House.
It feels all so...flawed. It's almost like the gameplay of tankcombat, in particular on the combined arms maps, needs a major rehaul.

IMHO

Aside from a litany of glitches, and aside from some aspects of the AI hull MG I like almost all the changes to tank combat mechanics/gameplay. I love the modelled interior, the full AI crew, the controls, the spawn system, the more detailed damage model, it goes on and on. Tank combat, when all the glitches are worked out, can be truly great in this game. The few times I have played Gumrak outside the single-player it was too glitchy to abide other than a few shining glitch-free moments per round. For combined arms, the AI hull MG is admittedly improved over its initial iteration, but it still sometimes feels unfair when playing infantry in view of the enemy tank. For now the obvious answer is try not to spend much time in view of the front of the tank, dummy! It's better, there's just some things about it that aren't good (like the commander earning points for the MG aimbot!)

As for how limited it is at release, that will work out in time with more tanks, more tanking maps, more combined arms maps. Tanks were very ambitious in this game and they still need a lot of work, but to me there is a good foundation for it to be far and away better than RO:Ost ever was.

Reactions: SCandChives
Upvote 0
...one of the tanks in question does not even have aligned sights .....

If you're talking about the tank shot pulling to the left of the vertical sight on the T-34, then it's actually a design decision to model the gunners who zeroed the sight to 300 meters or so for the lateral correction. I personally prefer the sights and gun bore stays parallel, so the lateral offset is consistent and predictable, like in RO1. It would be great if that was an option.

Upvote 0
I disabled the tanks for our servers.

The reason for this is that they are controlled by the AI, a player can just drive around and the AI does the auto shooting which is totally stupid in my opinion. And that AI gunner is super accurate.

Until there's a way to force players to do the their own aiming, which by the way I have brought up on the Tripwire forums and was totally dismissed (and moved to a waste of time suggestion forum) telling them that it was no good for clan competition, then we should keep them off our servers. Bot killing has no place for us.

Reactions: Rumo and Verluste
Upvote 0