• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soudn system really need fix!

catfish@rock

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Title says it all.

1. All the cracking, disfigured, distorted muzzled gun sound,
2. causing micro stuttering
3. can't figure out where the sound is coming from.
4. sound card is not supported=poor performance

Guess TWI spent so little money on sound system development obviously.

Sound is one of the most important factor in FPS for immersion, also great source to figure out enemy location.

Sound system in RO2 is really not good, not realistic, nor working properly.

This thing really need fix.

What soundcard do you have?
I think the most people uses onboard sound with a chip from realtec,
like me. I had this sound bug 4-5 times before the patch that should
fix this and 1 time after this patch.

Yes, fixing this issue is not 100% done now.
Did you tried to install OpenAL?
When not, googel OpenAL and perhaps that can help you?

Upvote 0
What soundcard do you have?
I think the most people uses onboard sound with a chip from realtec,
like me. I had this sound bug 4-5 times before the patch that should
fix this and 1 time after this patch.

Yes, fixing this issue is not 100% done now.
Did you tried to install OpenAL?
When not, googel OpenAL and perhaps that can help you?

Erm, the game uses Xaudio2. It doesn't use OpenAL, so what good would installing it or the OP googling it do?

Upvote 0
Sound in RO2 is amazing, the immersion, the quality, the variety, the death moans... but it's not working properly right now in some ways (no moans, no footsteps, cracking sounds).

Anyway, I went from an integrated Realtek sound card to an Asus Xonar, and man, what a difference!!!

If you bought that card specifically for RO2 you wasted your money. RO2 uses Xaudio2 which uses your CPU to process the sound then straight to your speakers/headphones. We need OpenAL support asap.

This info really needs to be stickied as I have said before, or do TWI not care if their customers waste money trying to fix the unfixable?

Ta

Sal

Upvote 0
Revised line

I wonder if they ever gonna reply to OR EVEN PATCH this as THIS IS REALLY REALLY "BASIC STUFF" which they somehow very well managed to ignore in a practical sense.

I am using cheap dedi sound card however it gave me small stutter free FPS advantages in crysis 2 mp and a littel better sound quality in deus ex human revolution which I think is using dolby.

RO2 however stutters hard when multiple sound are present, even gives me cracked disfigured sound with very noticeable stuttering preventing aiming process all the time.

rifle, pistol sounds are kinda ok and sound realistic both in volume and quality compared to real gun sound you can hear in HQ youtube...

however, ppsh sound really weak in volume, dull and heavily muzzled compared to cracking rifle and pistol, also explosion sound are very weak in decibel level and all gun sound frequently gets smaller in volume when fired indoors.
Auto guns frequently sound distorted, and cracked,

Maybe some competent modder can fix this right, while TWI is so incompetently swimming in deliberate ignorance for whatever reasons.

Might sound very harsh, but awful sound design and no fix after sometime of release.
After hearing solid/clear sound design/quality by crysis 2 or deus ex human revolution, RO2 sound really shxxty..no ofense..
It never gives me pure uncracked unmuzzled sound, it's just awful..

I shall be very happy if only I can get RO1 or insurgency sound quality, clear, unmuzzled, uncracked, realistic, does it take a lot of money to implement good software sound design?

Also they should optimize maps to prevent horrible memory leaking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As usual, no reply...

... It is 10am where the developers live. (or is it nine? Which time zone are they actually in?)

You posted it at 4-5am their time. What do you expect?

Seriously, try communicating with businesses using snail-mail, and learn to have some patience and that the rest of the world doesn't revolve around you.

Upvote 0
If you bought that card specifically for RO2 you wasted your money. RO2 uses Xaudio2 which uses your CPU to process the sound then straight to your speakers/headphones. We need OpenAL support asap.

This info really needs to be stickied as I have said before, or do TWI not care if their customers waste money trying to fix the unfixable?

Ta

Sal

Hmmm. If this is correct, then it just begs even more questions. I had an X-fi extreme gamer. I suffered the same issues as everyone else. It usually resulted in total sound loss until reboot. I bought a new X-fi Titanium and all sound issues ceased. In BOTH cases my headset was connected directly to the sound card backplane. So if all sound processing is done with the cpu, and the soundcard roll in it is purely passive, how does one explain the various changes in behavior?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sound in RO2 is amazing, the immersion, the quality, the variety, the death moans... but it's not working properly right now in some ways (no moans, no footsteps, cracking sounds).

Anyway, I went from an integrated Realtek sound card to an Asus Xonar, and man, what a difference!!!
I can only say you wasted your money. it might sound a bit better because of some post processing of the Asus software but that's it :)

Upvote 0
Hmmm. If this is correct, then it just begs even more questions. I had an X-fi extreme gamer. I suffered the same issues as everyone else. It usually resulted in total sound loss until reboot. I bought a new X-fi Titanium and all sound issues ceased. In BOTH cases my headset was connected directly to the sound card backplane. So if all sound processing is done with the cpu, and the soundcard roll in it is purely passive, how does one explain the various changes in behavior?

the sound gets processed on the cpu and then send to the soundcard for output. the early x-fi (non-PCIe) and audigy cards are notorious to cause problems with newer os'es like win7x64 or vista. the newer x-fis (the PCIe ones) have better drivers and generally work better with a newer os.
so my guess is, that somewhere in between the processing and sending the sounds to the soundcards the creative driver blows it and the sound gets distorted/muffled/whatever.

TWI should try to contact Creative and inform them of their problems, maybe we'll finally see some new drivers from them for the older cards, the driver for my Audigy 2 ZS is dated 19.03.2010 (DD.MM.YYYY)

Upvote 0
Alright didn't read all comments but here's the answer. Unreal 3, RO2's engine, is a console engine, where sound cards are crap. Unreal 3 uses processor cores for sound. An Xbox 360 has a 3.2Ghz tripple core processor. Sound will be crap if you have less than 3 cores or they are not being utilized properly. Sound card support is limited because of the engine.

You want good sound? You can sell your sound card scape up so more money and get a quad core processor.

Upvote 0
I am on i5 760 @ 2.8Ghz, with Envy24 audiotrack? sound card.

All other games runs without any sound issue so far. BFBC2 run fine.

The point is RO2's sound issue makes sound quality worse than RO1 (UE2.5?) or insurgency mod(source engine..).

At least they have uncracked, clear sound all the time.

TWI could have added openAL or other software sound design system, rather they've cheaped out on one of the most important factor and worse, messed it up and practically ignoring it.

Upvote 0