• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Left channel audio buzz

Generally happens to me after playing for a little while (30 min to an hour) right when a new map begins. I assume this is akin to the sound cutting completely out glitch. It is a buzzing click in the left channel only that seems to get worse as more sounds around me are made (i.e. beginning when everybody spawns together and runs out, all those footsteps are accompanied by this sound glitch).

I'm using the audio quality setting on high and max channels. I have tried a few different combinations of low quality/high quality with more channels and less channels, but I haven't noticed any difference in the likelihood that I come across this problem.

This is intermittent and when it does come on it doesn't last for too long, fortunately. Maybe a few minutes at the most.

Win 7 Pro 64bit
Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
Intel C2D E8400 3ghz
4gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 800mhz
eVGA GTX 560 Ti 1gb
Creative X-fi Platinum (the older PCI version w/ front panel, not the newer one)
PCP&C Silencer Mk2 750watts

Upvote 0
bumping this to report the same problem, buzzing in the left channel. not sure what you mean by my soundcard's "audio codec"

Which soundcard do you have? If you don't have a soundcard what onboard sound do you have?

For future reference, if you have a problem, post your specs ( all of them ) including drivers and operating system, otherwise the first thing anybody has to do is ask you to post them before they can attempt to help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO2's sound is handled totally by the CPU. It is this fact that causes the sound problems as our soundcards are not used in the game at all. It is IMO one of the worst decisions TWI made in this game. I get a digital "BRRRRRRT" sound every few minutes which locks the game up. Same during SMG fire and arty. Updating drivers or changing sound cards will be a waste of time/money.

I honestly think it is time a mod stickied this info on the main forum page to stop players wasting their time as I did before I realised why I was getting these probs.

Ta

Sal

Upvote 0
RO2's sound is handled totally by the CPU. It is this fact that causes the sound problems as our soundcards are not used in the game at all. It is IMO one of the worst decisions TWI made in this game. I get a digital "BRRRRRRT" sound every few minutes which locks the game up. Same during SMG fire and arty. Updating drivers or changing sound cards will be a waste of time/money.
Sound problems appear because the game is full of bugs, using OpenAL and hardware acceleration do not magically fix problems. Hardware sound acceleration is going away anyway since OpenAL is really out of date and developers hate it.

Upvote 0
Well yes, I wouldn't blame the fact my server browser wont work a lot of the time on the system TWI have used for sound! That is obvious surely? Yes it has lots of bugs and I thought I clearly stated that it was the sound and sound related bugs I was talking about? I and others suspect that the framerate drops/freezing/digital noises during gameplay is caused by the sound sytem TWI have chosen to use. For example framerate drops during art and SMG fire. What I and others are saying is the fact TWI have used a system that uses the CPU for sound rather than our soundcards is causing a lot of the common problems related to sound and sound related freezes/noises etc. I paid quite a bit of cash for a decent sound card yet it doesn't get used in RO2 at all. OpenAL may be getting on, but it works and a lot better than any CPU based system.

Ta

Sal

Upvote 0
Yes it has lots of bugs and I thought I clearly stated that it was the sound and sound related bugs I was talking about? I and others suspect that the framerate drops/freezing/digital noises during gameplay is caused by the sound sytem TWI have chosen to use. For example framerate drops during art and SMG fire. What I and others are saying is the fact TWI have used a system that uses the CPU for sound rather than our soundcards is causing a lot of the common problems related to sound and sound related freezes/noises etc. I paid quite a bit of cash for a decent sound card yet it doesn't get used in RO2 at all. OpenAL may be getting on, but it works and a lot better than any CPU based system.

Ta

Sal
So you are only speculating without any proof, pretty funny that nearly every PC game nowadays use XAudio2 and CPU based sound mixing without any problems.

Upvote 0
So you are only speculating without any proof, pretty funny that nearly every PC game nowadays use XAudio2 and CPU based sound mixing without any problems.

XAudio2 is the Xbox sound system the devs have used for whatever reason. No speculation involved, its fact. 99% of the PC games I play use my soundcard/OpenAL etc and not the CPU. Google it if you want but Im certainly not going to argue about it.

Ta

Sal

Upvote 0