• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2 Heroes Of Camping

Defending, often confused with camping.

But when the attackers are "defending" their spawn, then we have problems
:p

Ain't that the truth.

The word camping is highly misunderstood and I am kinda fed up with it. There is nothing wrong staying put at the same location the whole round 24/7 as long as it proves to help your team. Then, if newbies becomes frustated, that's their problem; It's all about adapting to the situation. If you can't - to bad. Players should use any strategy that's been proven to work well (not cheating though) and there is nothing wrong about it. Doing the opposite - use what's been proven not to work very well - is obviously quite idiotic to use. Also, picking up a game that rather aims at realism than 100% arcade and expect people to run around like in COD feels kinda like funny. If anything is bad for each team (and indeed each player) It's the lockdowntimer.

My opinion is quite diffrent. People should be ''camping more'' and die less. Boring with player rushing at their objectives, killing someone, dying, respawning and doing it all over agian. If the Hero rank actually was about teamwork and a penalty were used for each death I believe we would have less 'Heroes' in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This game thrives on camping. Its a battle of who camps best not skill. I hope some kind of mod can bring the fun factor into this rather than sitting in a corner for 40 mins waiting for people to walk by.

Sorry for all the negs Theking. Play on a sever with the Killcam (if you can ever find one). It helps break up the campers a bit.

But basically yeah, camping is a big part of this game. That's part of the realism. Though it's not realistic that people can stealth camp and get 25 kills, its EXTREAMLY realistic that people sit and wait for their attackers. It's actually very cool that there isn't as much "running and gunning" in RO that there is in other games that shall remain nameless. :)

Upvote 0
Only one kind of camping in Red Orchestra 2: spawn camping. Everything besides that is fair game.

There's a time and place for it, though, and it's incredibly exasperating to see your team's MG camping a corner, weapon at the hip when their weapon could be far more useful in the open at that moment, or your commander on his belly, firing at long range with his semiauto while the team gets mowed down around him by enemy artillery or the lack of smoke. :rolleyes:

As long as you're being useful to your team, and not spawn camping, go for it.

Upvote 0
Other than everyone being too accurate and invisible ninja there are problems in mechanics of VS maps. In B2142 on VS maps you lose tickets if you let enemy take objectives and the more they take the more tickets you lose, forcing you to attack. In RO2 VS maps you can camp all day reducing enemy ticket count to zero and then do heroic assault on empty objectives. Or you can wait for timer to reach 4 minutes and rush to get more cap zones than enemy, having more tickets helps there.
Camping isnt fun but its way too effective on VS maps.

Upvote 0
One of the basic tenants is "overwatch," or bounding overwatch. Basicly cover eachothers butts. Your battle buddy will keep you alive and vise versa while maintaing the objective.

Pedantic post of the day:

A tenant is someone who rents a living space via a Lease Agreement, or less commonly, a verbal one.

A tenet is a principle/doctrine commonly held throughout an organization.

Otherwise, great post. :D

Upvote 0
attachment.php

spectator, somebody boot him, he's running up the ping

Upvote 0
This game thrives on camping. Its a battle of who camps best not skill. I hope some kind of mod can bring the fun factor into this rather than sitting in a corner for 40 mins waiting for people to walk by.

I always charge in like a mad man and get tons of kills. This game does not reward camping, it's just the sort of game that attracts campers.

Upvote 0
Other than everyone being too accurate and invisible ninja there are problems in mechanics of VS maps. In B2142 on VS maps you lose tickets if you let enemy take objectives and the more they take the more tickets you lose, forcing you to attack. In RO2 VS maps you can camp all day reducing enemy ticket count to zero and then do heroic assault on empty objectives. Or you can wait for timer to reach 4 minutes and rush to get more cap zones than enemy, having more tickets helps there.
Camping isnt fun but its way too effective on VS maps.

Side note: On Grain elevator you lose ALL your reinforcements if you fail to defend one of the objectives. :p

Upvote 0