• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Hints to be a better tanker

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
Here are a few things I've picked up playing mostly as a Soviet tanker.

- Command your driver with the 3D Command Widget along with the WASD key. If you're a squad leader or tank platoon leader, you need to scroll your mouse wheel to specify "Your Tank." Point, and click with the LMB to send your driver to that spot. Unfortunately, your driver won't stop if you hit Space bar for the brakes when following the 3D widget unless you hit either W, A, S, or D first.

- Command your gunner (in the Panzer IV) to attack targets with the 3D Command Widget. RMB click on enemy tanks. This won't work in the T-34, as you don't have a separate gunner.

- Use the periscope for better situational awareness. In the T-34, scroll out of the gunsight, and RMB click while still looking forward, and you'll go to the periscope. It'll look almost exactly the same, but you won't see the cannon on the right, you'll be higher, and you can look around without moving the turret. If you spot your enemy, hit CTRL to link up the turret to your periscope sight, and fire directly from the periscope view without bothering to RMB, and scroll wheel into the gunsight view.

- Use SHIFT to zoom. Whether when driving unbuttoned, T-34 hull MG (really do this all the time), or playing commander, you can get a better idea of what you're looking at with the zoom key (unbuttoned or through the cupola). It's faster than the binoculars.

- Don't camp at spawn or "Spawn Hill" as Soviets on Gumrak. You won't win in a long range cannon duel with the Panzer Iv. I don't know if it's by design, or the damage models aren't final, but the T-34 easily goes up with 1 shot, while the Panzer IV's seem to require multiple shots most of the time. What compounds this is the Panzer IV has a dedicated gunner that can either be very accurate AI aiming, or insta-hot switch from a player, which is faster than the T-34 commander / gunner going to the gun from an unbuttoned position.

-Remember you can spawn at two different points in Gumrak. Try it Spawn 2, you may like it.

- Use the T-34's mobility as an advantage. That means drive fast, get to partial cover (hull down), and fire. That also means, drive slowly and fire while on the move - the T-34's Christie suspension makes this more reliable than on the Panzer IV. I'll often use the 3D Widget to tell my driver to go to a specific point, and while they're driving, I'll be firing away not doing double duty driving with WASD / delayed directional commands.

- If you get your right brake hit, you can still turn right by backing up and engaging Left brake.

- Can't figure out who that guys is in your tank? I'm sure this will be rectified in the final release, but for now, hit ESC, go to the Squad Selection menu, and look who's in the tank with you. Hit ESC to get out of it, as you don't want to accidentally suicide / respawn if you hit continue.

Platoon Tank Commander specific suggestions:

- Use the smoke shells. Good way to obscure enemies firing upon you so you can move or send your squad up (shoot AT the enemy to blind them).

- Use the recon plane to spot enemy targets. Tanks can't hide under cover from the plane. Tell your team you're calling in recon and to check the map.

- Use artillery. Spot with the Command Widget (F key) / RMB, and call it any from ANYWHERE with your tank's radio.

- Command your squads (they may even listen), using the B function, and scroll wheel to select All Squads, or individual squads, and select which objectives to attack or defend.

Hope this helps, and I'd like to see other people's suggestions.

Last edited:
- Use the periscope for better situational awareness. In the T-34, scroll out of the gunsight, and RMB click while still looking forward, and you'll go to the periscope. It'll look almost exactly the same, but you won't see the cannon on the right, you'll be higher, and you can look around without moving the turret. If you spot your enemy, hit CTRL to link up the turret to your periscope sight, and fire directly from the periscope view without bothering to RMB, and scroll wheel into the gunsight view.

Great tip moremegeil, didn't even know this was possible.

- If you get your right brake hit, you can still turn right by backing up and engaging Left brake.

Can you explain this further? What do you mean by engaging individual breaks? is that just using the left direction key?

Upvote 0
Can you explain this further? What do you mean by engaging individual breaks? is that just using the left direction key?

Yeah, instead of hitting W + D to turn right, hit S + A to back up and turn. Works in vice versa too of course.

3D Command Widget?

Sorry, that was the earlier name in the FF beta. I don't know the default key, but in the settings, look under Command Controls (or something), and find "Orders Widget"

That's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Use the T-34's mobility as an advantage. That means drive fast, get to partial cover (hull down), and fire. That also means, drive slowly and fire while on the move - the T-34's Christie suspension makes this more reliable than on the Panzer IV. I'll often use the 3D Widget to tell my driver to go to a specific point, and while they're driving, I'll be firing away not doing double duty driving with WASD / delayed directional commands.
This!
I can't stress enough how important it is for T-34 tankers to constantly move. I don't even take the luxury to slow down anymore and make all my kills at full speed. It is rediculously effective as you are harder to hit and can get to the vulnerable flank of the PzIV.

Recently we won the round on Gumrak because I was wrecking havoc near the enemy spawn and managed to kill 4 tanks at full speed without getting knocked out myself. I got very close and drove in circles around my victims to hit the sides/rear and using them as a shield against their comrades. :IS2:

You just have to time your shots right because it's a bumpy ride! :cool:

Oh and don't let them hit your driver or engine. :p

Reactions: Mormegil
Upvote 0
I am experimenting now with simply hiding from the P4s and putting the fear of god into infantry.

The tactic depends a lot on German tanker quality - a lot of German tankers like to hunker down at range and wait for t34s. Which gives a field day when you do not oblige them and simply pound suspected infantry positions instead - preferably parking to that the bow mg cuts across some vital stretch of open terrain, while the main gun and mg does at the fascist rats in their building holes.

I also like to drive myself when going into positions. More nuanced control, it seems faster - and there is no way I am going to let the AI gun it out with tanks - so keeps me honest in terms of getting out of PIV gunsights.

Upvote 0
just checked.. but holding LMB does NOT turn the turret when you are unbuttoned as commander.. so please explain your story.

I would love to be able to tell the gunner to rotate the turret.

Did you do this with the T-34 or the Panzer IV?

IIRC, it still woks with the T-34. It makes some amount of sense, as the commander is also the gunner crewman, so should have access to the turret control directly. The Panzer IV on the other hand has a separate crewman for the gunner.

Upvote 0
Thanks for tips! Trying to really learn the T-34, and the "fire on the move" tactic sounds very interesting!

Would like to try it out with a fellow player, but haven't really figured out how you choose specific players for your crew... I have a friend I've been tanking with in ROOst for several years now, usually talking over Ventrilo while playing, and we make a really good team! Can you, or anyone else, please tell me what we can do to end up in the same tank when we join a server? Seems like we just spawn in random tanks :(

If I end up with another, random, player is it the "squad" VOIP channel I should use to communicate with him in that case? We are always in the same 2squad" if we share a tank?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe each tank is considered a separate squad - which goes for coms too.

I just made a post about better aiming.

Based on a bug report (what someone else, and I thought was a bug), the tank shot appears to pull to the left when passed 300 meters. That's because the gun sight is ranged for about 300 meters laterally (range adjustment only changes elevation, can't change lateral aim). That means the shot hits the center of the crosshair (vertical line) at 300 meters. Closer than that, it'll be on the right, and further it'll be on the left.

Read the original post for more details and actual numbers (and even a diagram).

Upvote 0